Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
423 Posts
A full tang blade is generally a good idea, but you can get a lot of miles out of any blade as long as you use it for its intended purpose and are careful when not.

If you plan on battoning firewood, you need to make sure you definitely have a full tang (not through tang), outside of that I haven't found anything wrong with partial or through tang knives.

Mora knives are some of the best as far as blade quality and design. When I got my Mora Bushcraft knife I was stunned at the quality I had received for what I paid. I would have easily paid $100+ for similar quality from other makers.

As with any knife, if you use it for what its intended purpose, it will last you a lifetime. That being said, Mora and many other knives are not Tonka trucks or Timex watches. I have broken my share of full tang knives as well as half, partial tang and folding blade knives, but only when I was pushing the knife far beyond what its intended purpose.

If you are looking for a tank of a knife I might suggest the BK2 for $65USD. It has outlived my KABAR next generation knives, TOPS knife, and USMC KABAR, which everyone touts about being the flagship of all survival knives. The BK2 is 1/4 inch thick with grivory scales. The thing is a monster and commands the ultimate challenges. I have split knotted oak, hickory, and walnut with this blade and beat it into the concrete a couple of times. The thing is a terminator, it simply cannot be topped. Even that youtube guy who destroys knives to put them to the test, had a helluva time bringing this knife to its knees. Definitely a good watch.

Knife Blade Fawn Fur

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
None of the plastic handled are but several of the wooden handled are full tang BUT they are stick tang. That said I don't misuse my knifes (I own several saws and axes) and my Mora Companion is my favorite even with a drawer full of more expensive knives. Go to the link and you will see. Some of the wooden are 3/4 tang. The stick tang looks like a rat tail comb women use. The end goes through a washer and is hammered like a rivet. It works for those people for a thousand years.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've been online looking at the website for Mora Knives and it doesn't tell me which knives are full tang and which are partial tang. Anybody know?
There are only 1 or 2 mora knives that are full tang, they'll tell you. Rest are partial tang. Personally, moras are more of a light duty knife survival knife. They aren't designed to be batoned through wood rather some carving and skinning blade

Use it within its intended purpose and it'll last you a long time

·
Would eat anything
151 Posts
The Laplander series are full tang. And theres quite alot of different Mora knives, don't know why their most popular models in the US are the carpenters and the cheap asian made ones.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The classic wood handled Mora #2/0 is a full tang model. Best place to get them is Ragnars' Ragweed Forge.

About a third of the way down the page.
#2/0, (3" blade, .098" thick, full length tang), handle 3 5/8" long, just under two ounces in the sheath, $11.00

All my Mora's say made in Sweden. Got proof of Asian made Mora's?

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
.....All my Mora's say made in Sweden. Got proof of Asian made Mora's?
Your question, as well as the earlier comment that inspired it, piqued my curiosity, so I Googled it a couple times, and couldn't find any Asian-made Mora-type knives.
Something interesting did pop up in a Wiki article: "The proper way to pronounce "Mora" is with a long o ("moo-ra")."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife

Who knew? ;)

·
Would eat anything
151 Posts

·
Would eat anything
151 Posts
The classic wood handled Mora #2/0 is a full tang model. Best place to get them is Ragnars' Ragweed Forge.

About a third of the way down the page.
#2/0, (3" blade, .098" thick, full length tang), handle 3 5/8" long, just under two ounces in the sheath, $11.00

All my Mora's say made in Sweden. Got proof of Asian made Mora's?
You are absolutely right, I mixed them up with Fällkniven, wich are made in Japan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.