Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have decided I need an "assault" weapon. (I hate using the word 'assault'). I don't have a lot of money to spend. What would you recommend and in what caliber? I really like the ar-15, but they seem pricey. I have seen $600 ak's, but not sure of quality and $600 is still a good bit of money. Are SKS's worth having? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
SKS's are reliable guns, but if you can swing it I'd go for a mag fed weapon. (Don't butcher an SKS and use those rediculious detachable mags, it is best stock)

Your other cheapest option is an AK...

Search, you can find them under 6 (Gonna haveto hunt though.)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had an AR-15 that dang thing was picky about being clean. I actually went over to lever actions because of the cleaning issue. Plus now I can make some HUGE holes lol. I have heard US troops bragging about AK's being tough as heck. That's enough for me if a marine likes it it must be pretty good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have all three of your choices, I prefer my ak-47 over the others.You should get the sks and ammo if your on a tight budget,mine performs well at the range.Don't wait long prices have been going up and will get crazy if another gun ban happens!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to get something that will reliably feed from a high capacity magazine. My dealer sells I.O. AK's. I have heard this companies customer service sucks. But if I were to buy it from my dealer, would this be a decent AK. They start out around 5 or 600.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
SKS D or M models with 20 inch barrels--they take AK mags, and are still somewhat cheap. You can still find them out there. If your state allows them go for it.

How many times have I typed this on this site?!!

T

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would like to get something that will reliably feed from a high capacity magazine. My dealer sells I.O. AK's. I have heard this companies customer service sucks. But if I were to buy it from my dealer, would this be a decent AK. They start out around 5 or 600.

Go with a Saiga and get a NIB gun. In .223, 762x39, and .308 all are under $600, with the first 2 under $400. With a drill and a dremel, about 3 hours time and $100 or so, you have a fully legal new AK. I have 2 and really like them. They're not picky about being clean or what brand of ammo they eat. I clean mine about every 500 rounds just because. My AR-15s have to be clean and won't shoot just anything (I don't mind cleaning them, it's just nice not to have to). :)

·
15T :)
505 Posts
I think I have decided I need an "assault" weapon. (I hate using the word 'assault'). I don't have a lot of money to spend. What would you recommend and in what caliber? I really like the ar-15, but they seem pricey. I have seen $600 ak's, but not sure of quality and $600 is still a good bit of money. Are SKS's worth having? Thanks for any suggestions.
i was issued an m16a2 in basic,and that kind of killed all my desire to ever get myself an ar15.

i do own a yugoslav sks and i absolutely love it as wel as my father's wasr-10

·
15T :)
505 Posts
If you are limited on cash, buy an Ak-47, If you have sufficient funds, buy a FAL....the best of all worlds, reliabiliy, accuracy, penetration......
A CETME does the same thing at only half the cost,and is equal to the G3 that is superior to the belgian FAL

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
My vote. An AK clone. ...any brand. Especially if price is an issue. I had an SKS as well, ..liked it too. I like the simplicity of the AK, the reliability, the 7.62 x 39 round.
Apparently, 10's of millions of prople around the globe like them too. Try one out, then decide for yourself.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Buy an SKS. You have to remember to factor any mags you need into the price. SKS has no mags and for $8.00 you can buy 20 stripper clips.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Saiga is a great rifle, but they have gotten quite expensive lately. If you can pick up a Saiga 7.62 or .223 locally for around $300-$400, that would be a good deal now. Then I would quickly buy your mags and conversion parts.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts