Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Healer
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a lever action Marlin. There is a lot of talk about the chance that ALL mag feds are possibly to be targeted in new legislation. So if this does come to pass, and since I need to purchase a firearm for home invasion - I want to do this before the next guy gets his fanny in the oval office.

I am considering the Marlin Model 410 shotgun. Any thoughts or criticisms on this particular gun? Any that can offer a better option? Thanks.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Don't bother with the .410. Its cylinder bore. only so-so for Home defense, and not too good for hunting. Get a Either a BLR in a common round or Winchester or Marlin .30-30 or .35 Rem., or maybe a .45-70. Useful hunting rounds for deer and other game.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a Marlin guide gun in 45/70. With the correct ammo from Garret Ammo this weapon has taken the African big six. My only issue would be penetration for a home invasion. I have done doubles on feral hogs, one shot passes through two animals and continues into the woods. Also the load will pass from front to rear on a 120 lb doe and still bury up in an oak to deep to dig out. I have nicknamed mine SLOBBER-KNOCKER due to recoil. MAN I LOVE THAT GUN!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I just want to get a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for myself. Its a great gun in carbine form for hunting in the woods and the 30-30 is a good brush buster.

After this Christmas I may come home with a Winchester lever action 12ga shotgun and possibly a Winchester 94 in 32-20. Both belonged to my great-grandfather. My little brother wants the 38-40 Bisley Colt and the little Winchester 02 pump 22lr. The Colt was my great grandfathers and the 22 was bought by my grandfather for my grandmother. My Dad, rest his soul, traded off a Winchester with serial numbers matching the Bisley Colt and also in 38-40 caliber. My greatgrandfather did some time as a US Deputy Marshall and the pistol and rifle were given to him by the government.

My dad was really sick when he found out that they were a matched pair and worth quite a bit of money. He got a Winchester pump shotgun with the exposed hammer for it. It was the one used in WWI as a trench gun. Still nice, but not as good as what he traded for it. Heheh.

HiPoopus

·
Registered
345 Posts
In all honesty, a .410 would be just about my last choice for home defense, more so in a lever gun. It just seems to me there must be a reason why you rarely see a lever action SG, (I never have) but there are more pump guns than there are stars in the sky. If you want a lever gun, I would suggest you get it in 30-30, or .357 or .44. If you want a SG, get a good pump in 12 gauge (or 20). They have been a home defense stand-by for a long time.

If you want a range toy, get what ever scratches your itch. But for home defense, keep it simple and stick to what has been proven to work well.

Just my .02, YMMV!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would Suggest the Winchester 1887, if it's good enough for the terminator it should be good enough for anyone.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
pick a marlin lever gun, then pick a caliber you like, Looking strictly for a defense gun? go with a pistol caliber (hint there is .44 mag handgun ammo and .44 rifle ammo as well as .44 special ammo...) Marlin is well built, better than Rossi and has been around a hell of a lot longer...

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
For the price of a lever action you can get a good semi auto.

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
I suggest marlin first. I prefer side ejection over top, and the rossi just isnt the same quality. Then your next desicion is caliber. I like .357 to match my wheel gun

Reactions: Smoothbore
1 - 20 of 32 Posts