Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SKS gunner
193 Posts
I personally have and enjoy shooting the 7mm mag. The ammo is a little more expensive and harder to find in more places than the 30.06. You cant go wrong with either as far as hunting goes. the 7 mag does have more recoil than the 30.06. but the ballistics favor the 7 mag.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I need to get a new rifle and dont know what cartirdge to choose 7mm or 30.06?

The .30-06 is good for when you want to reach out and touch someone. The 7mm Rem Mag is for when you want reach out a little farther and/or touch a little harder

Which is better depends on what you're hunting... and at what distance you expect to shoot it.

allan

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
you'll get more range out of the 7mm mag but its pritty pricy.

7mm will do everything the '06 will do and more.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
^ very true, depinds on if this rifle is just a hunting rifle of a main shtf rifle that you will take.

just hunting-7mm

shtf of bug out rifle-'06

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't think the extra recoil and ammo availability gives any edge to the 7mm vs. the -06. 06 ammo is relatively cheap, easy to find even in the smallest hardware store in Nowheresville, and will take any game in N. America. Ballistic charts really don't show glaring advantages of the 7mm either, but to each his own.

For that matter, the .270 will take even the largest elk. Been there, seen that.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I owned a 7 Mag several years ago and it's just too much gun for anything around my neck of the woods. A 270 or 30-06 is more common and easier to reload.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts