Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Which multi tool would be the relatively best, considering durability and price? As well as a good folding saw and survival knife? For those, of course, I'm looking for holding an edge, and a good portable sharpener.

Thanks!
I would avoid the Gerber multitool. While it certainly seems to be built very robustly, there is an inherent danger in its design. With the plier jaws closed, the two handles are parallel and just about a millimeter apart. I was trying to grip something once in the plier jaws when they slipped off. Before I could stop the force, the two handles came together, crushing the flesh on my palm between them. I ended up with a very painful injury, with the blood cells beneath the skin smashed. I had blood-red line across my palm for days. The Gerber went right into the forget-it box, because the last thing I need is a survival tool that can injure me. I replaced it with a Leatherman. The handles on the Leatherman stay apart, even when the jaws are closed.

·
I have control issues
6,191 Posts
I've got a Gerber Suspension multitool that's my "Go-To". Actually, I have two of them. One "lives" in my purse, basically my "EDC"; the othet is here in the house so that I have it on hand for working around the property.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The older Gerber would pinch the crap out of your hand but not the new ones. I still prefer the Leatherman Wave. Ozark Trail (yes walmart) has a near copy of the wave but instead of a flat shaped replaceable screwdriver it takes regular changable screwdriver bits and comes with extension and extra bits. Actually well made. So i have the Wave as EDC and the Ozark Trail is in my BOB.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've got a military Gerber I like and an old cheap Remington knock off that was ok (now in a drawer someplace). Also have a couple little micro tools for the glove boxes. I'm in construction and most of the guys carried some flavor of leatherman or another. Because of my job, my truck was my EDC and BOB. So a multi tool was always in the door pocket not on my belt.

I usually carry enough crap in my truck to rebuild engines or third world villages. Depending on where I am.

My Gerber is fine for light camp work. Saw, good blade, pliers & light wire cutters plus works on my ARs. Not a died in the wool fan - but it's functional for what I need out of it.

Unlike a post above, I've got a Gerber folding saw that has served me well. Don't cut down trees with it but it's handy so far. Pulled its weight a couple of times I needed it. Also keep a hatchet handy for nastier stuff and a bow saw just in case.

Knives - well that is total preference. I always carry 2 folding knives on me and a razor in my hat. I have an Uncle Henry next to my seat, but it's not nearly as good as they used to be. They're not even full tang anymore - and that was a disappointment. Not sure I have an all around go to knife. If you want to skin that's one blade. Hack & stab that's another.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
A simple belt kit I've been using.

Silky are my preferred saws, just like them performance wise and construction. This the 170 size. Knife is always going to be subjective, but when I consider a "belt knife", I like to keep the blade shorter than 6", otherwise it gets a little cumbersome for me. This is one of Dave Canterbury's Pathfinder knives. I would be equally comfortable with a simple ESEE 4 as well...

Multitools really depend on the tools you like, need, or want. I don't always care for the blade as I typically will have a pocket folder or fixed blade knife. I do like scissors, some type of leather punch, and a good file. My preferred multitool is the Victorinox Spirit X. That said, I've built a pretty solid package around the Leatherman Surge:

Field sharpeners can vary. Most of my fixed blades will hold the excellent Fallkniven DC3 or 4 (double sided) sharper.

I've been using the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener for the past few months and really liking it as a all-round tool sharpener.

Another I've used in the past and really like are the ceramic dog-bone type sharpener (I think made by Gatco).

ROCK6

·
Business Owner
2,717 Posts
I have a Leatherman Rebar carried daily for 15 + years. Always handy. Recently broke off the large screw-driver blade that was damaged by an electrical arc and had 2 bad burn gouges which I am sure weakened it. Bought a new Rebar on Amazon for $65.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Which multi tool would be the relatively best, considering durability and price? As well as a good folding saw and survival knife? For those, of course, I'm looking for holding an edge, and a good portable sharpener.

Thanks!
I like the original Leatherman PST. The new version is called Bond. $50.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
I would avoid the Gerber multitool. While it certainly seems to be built very robustly, there is an inherent danger in its design. With the plier jaws closed, the two handles are parallel and just about a millimeter apart.
That used to be a real issue, I agree.

But.....

That hasn’t been true for nearly 20 years now, all the Gerbers were redesigned to avoid that problem. Try one and see.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Leatherman Sidekick includes a saw. The Leatherman Wingman has scissors instead. I settled on the Wingman. Both are easier on your hand than the original Leatherman.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
I had a SOG that i liked. But i broke the eyeglass screwdriver and can not get one from SOG so i no longer carry it.
I switched my EDC to a leatherman free. And i love it. Having scissors is a huge plus. The only complaint is NO eyeglass screwdriver. I would gladly give up one blade for that.

I bought a SOG baton for my cars visor and it has an eye glass screwdriver and is a really cool MT. The thin design actually might be good for edc but the tool selection is lacking.

·
Semper Fi
9,927 Posts
I have had a Leatherman on my belt daily for decades. Currently it is their Wave.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
+1 for the Leatherman Wave. Two blades, a file and saw blade, scissors, bit driver, can opener, flat screwdriver, eyeglass screwdriver.. The belt pouch it comes with lets me add the bit extension and multiple different flat bits. It has been pretty handy. It has room for a space pen, a small piece of fat wood, and I hang a small AAA Trunite flashlight, tweezers, and a pill capsule with emergency aspirin off of it. A lot of capability in a small package.

Here's a link for the Wave+.
Wave+ Multi-Tool | Leatherman

·
Registered
73 Posts
Leatherman Surge in stainless steel. Mine is with me every day since 2012.
I recommend the Surge as the best all around multi tool. I have used my Surge since 2005 as an EDC, and worked most of the time in industrial maintenance position. I have 2 of them because I had to send it back twice (my fault using them past the limits) they have always been good about replacement. Also you can order aftermarket blades if you need something better then any commercial multi tool, I swapped one of my outside blades for a DIY safety cutter / hook blade. the diamond file is removable and works well on the strait edge and the socket it uses is the same as most jigsaw blades ;). Add the bit driver and you can do an incredible amount of things with very little and it all holds up well.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts