Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which multi tool would be the relatively best, considering durability and price? As well as a good folding saw and survival knife? For those, of course, I'm looking for holding an edge, and a good portable sharpener.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Find a Leatherman tool that looks good to you and a Silky Saw that’s the size you want and you should be good to go!

The knife is more difficult as environment and personal choices play in. A Mora is enough knife, but many want something that cost more than $20. A Battlehorse Knives cost 10X more and is what’s on my belt now, but isn’t 10X more useful in the woods!

SD

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I've a fairly wide selection (My Wife would call it a hoard).

That said, if I had to buy just one saw, tool and knife without going crazy price wise I'd probably buy the three I find myself using most consistently over time out of the 100's I own:

Mora Garberg
Silky Saw
Leatherman Signal

·
Dirt Dweller
765 Posts
If there is a consensus its Leatherman. They offer various models to fit your needs. I think mine were over $50 each. I have a number of Bug Out Vehicles, each has its own BOB, plus our Plan C bug out involves bikes with small BOBs. In those bags we have an assortment of multi tools from Ace, a $12 Winchester and a $14 Amazon. Both look great for the money.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,578 Posts
THE STEEL in the Leatherman tool I bought way back when was pretty soft.
I was doing a lot of electrical at the time and every now and then I would forget and try to cut some wire with it and all I would do was put a dent in the "wire cutter".
Also, the blade was not the greatest at taking an edge, as well as seeming to be soft steel.

That experience has tainted my view of Leatherman. I have tried Gerber and Schrade and others but I finally settled on the
Victorinox Swiss Army Hercules Multi-Tool, Red, 4.37" Closed
HOWever it has been discontinued.

XXXXSWISS.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been partial to Leatherman's for quite a few years, You can pretty much pick one to suit your particular needs as there are no shortage of specialized pocket tools from Leatherman as well as others. I have one of the Titanium leathermans that has lasted for about 7 years of solid usage. About the only real recommendation that I have is if you plan on using it for working on stuff as a portable tool kit get one with the interchangeable bits and get the add on tip set which gives it a huge amount of flexibility in use compared to any fixed bit type tool, but again that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,642 Posts
I’m a Gerber or Leatherman guy. Both have pros and cons, both have good models and both have so-so models. I REALLY like the one handed opening pliers by Gerber, but I also appreciate having the blades on the outside when folded, but then having the smooth side of the grips out when using pliers. SOME of the Leatherman models offer that, as well as SOME Gerbers, but some dont.

I still don’t think a Swiss Army Knife fits my definition of a multi tool, unless it has pliers on it.
That’s why they call it a Swiss Army KNIFE, and don’t call it a Swiss Army Multi tool.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,169 Posts
I like the larger handles on the Leatherman Supertool 300, but it is on the heavy side.
A lighter version is the Rebar, which is a good choice to carry hiking.

I use my Swiss army knife trekker a good bit, and also the Swiss champ or whatever it was called.

I always carry a mini tool also. Great for fingernails if nothing else. Leatherman style CS or Swiss army night manager mini champ or whatever it is called. Both are tiny in the pocket, so are always with you.

For a survival knife, there are several Schrade survival knives that give a lot of function for the money. They are on the heavy side though.
Heavy
Medium heavy
I like their rubber grips.
Also have some with micarta grips.
If you want something with a guy's name on it, the Matt Graham Jungle Primitive knife is also good.
It has a unique sheath that you will either love or hate.
It can be used to drill fireboards.
Basically, watch Matt graham use it in one of his shows. It is very capable, and made by Condor, who makes good quality knives.

For sharpening, I carry a Lansky Croc stick.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The one in your hand. I bought 20 at Walmart for $5 a piece and stashed them in my gear, my med kits, my stashes. This is th er third identicl purchase, the oth er rs went into layers of ziplock sandwich bags in road cashes, oiled with 3-in-1. 60 over time for $300. Quantity over quality. Lose one? Eh....

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Not so sure about today's standards and quality, but I am still carrying and using my original leatherman super tool that I bought shortly after it was released. I know I've had this one at least 25 years and it still works like new. If I needed to replace this one I would look at leatherman again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Locate a multi-tool which is partly designed for firearms, such as this one, the Leatherman MUT...

I was going to get a folding saw but the Father-in-law says they depend on a hinge so they're junk. They fail. He would certainly know. He's in the forest almost daily. First he says "chainsaw" (he has a little buzz on so bear with me) and I said "I want it for a pack" and he says "hatchet". Here's a hatchet which will last a lifetime for you. She's very basic-looking and a little pricey. The link is weird and hard. It's a Swedish website...

GRÄNSFORS LILLA YXAN by Gransfors Bruk

A good survival knife... That is a topic which I believe has it's own section on this site. It's a large topic. I suggest perusing here...

It's too much to discuss. I'm sorry but I'm running low on time.

Sharpening is another surprisingly-large topic. There are stages of sharpening, and if you forget to do something simple such as stropping, your wild game might get a little crunchy on the palate. Mmmm tiny metal pieces...

Alright. Have a pleasant day.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts