Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a certain brand, style, or genre of hand crank radios I should be looking at? Id really like to get a decent one that will also charge a cell phone. Which would you get? Id like to keep it under $75. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would say one of the Eton/Grundig models is probably the way to go, although personally I have found that if it is for inclusion in a BOB that the crank radios have insufficient life-per-crank and add a lot more weight/volume that a small battery radio. If it's for home/BOL then by all means get one.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
World Reciever

I have a Grundig world reciever with the hand crank, led light, AM/FM/SHORTWAVE/ NOAA WEATHER that I use while in the mountains and it picks up stations from all over, when the radio in the vehicle doesn't have anything but static the (World Reciever) picks up many stations.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I paid $4.95 for a 4.5 volt solar cell and use that... for 9 volt rechargeable I hook up two in series....no cranking... sweet...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
We've had good luck with the old school Baygen radios. There's a small solar panel around that really cheap but plugs into the back of it. Most of the original Baygens have SW also and unlike a lot of cheap SW's, you can get most of the major stations pretty clear. We used to listen to BBC, WWCR and WGTG on ours back in the day.

Keep in mind these wind up deals do have a life span on them. It's tens of thousands of windups mind ya, but if your using it for everyday listening now, you are slowly wearing it out.

Get one of the little panels like Razor mentioned and power it that way if your going to use it for day to day listening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We've had good luck with the old school Baygen radios. There's a small solar panel around that really cheap but plugs into the back of it. Most of the original Baygens have SW also and unlike a lot of cheap SW's, you can get most of the major stations pretty clear. We used to listen to BBC, WWCR and WGTG on ours back in the day.

Keep in mind these wind up deals do have a life span on them. It's tens of thousands of windups mind ya, but if your using it for everyday listening now, you are slowly wearing it out.

Get one of the little panels like Razor mentioned and power it that way if your going to use it for day to day listening.

Lowdown3, I think I've read before that the Baygen radios (or is it Freeplay?) are designed to be relatively easy to repair? Have you heard that also?

And to answer the OP's question, I've got a basic Eton/Grundig windup-radio. It's got the AM/FM/Weather stations and the built in flashlight.

I would like to get a windup shortwave radio in the future.

·
Simply, an AMERICAN...
5,477 Posts
I'm looking at this one. Eton 500

* AM (520-1700 KHz), FM (88-108 MHz), Shortwave (6000-12100 KHz)
* NOAA weather – all 7 channels plus “Alert”
* Siren and Flashlight
* Can be powered from four different sources:
o From the built-in rechargeable Ni-MH battery that takes charge from the dynamo crank and from an AC adapter (not included)
o From 3 AA batteries (not included)
o From the AC adapter alone (not included)
o From solar power
* Analog frequency dial with digital display
* Built-in cell phone charger
* Digital clock function

http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=517804

PDF Specs: http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/FR500_Spec.pdf

Paddy has a good review here:

You can find them on Ebay cheaper :D:

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
Here is a review of the radio i have. i really shoulda spent an extra $20 for the fr-500

this vid i made a month or so ago. just another typre of eton radio you might like. you need to consider the analog is gone in feb...unless independent station broadcast in analog. i hope this helps

eton fr-400

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
Handcrank radios are great I've owned one for 14 yrs, I just mine had shortwave. Reason is if the shtf :taped:regular radio will broadcast what the Goverment wants. Plus other people :thumb:will try to put out the truth on shortwave. Just mho:D:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The bad thing about these radios is that even though most of them have SW listening capabilities, most lack a BFO.

A BFO allows you to hear single sideband shortwave. To keep it simple (the Ham's probably won't like this) single sideband uses a sliver of the frequency to get the message through, also uses less power. In net terms, it uses less "bandwidth." A lot of Hams use it for long range comm.

I think your going to get the most ham SW use out of the 20 meter and 40 meter bands. I've worked most of the east coast of an HF set with a simple $25. mobile 20 meter antenna before.

A SW receiver with a BFO is going to cost a little more than the hand cranks do, but it will be worthwhile in the long run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts