Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
20 gauge for anything
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going white tail deer hunting this weekend. Should I take a 20 gauge single shot shotgun (awesome sweet gun). A double barrel 20 gauge (awesome not quite as much power as a single barrel for some reason). Or a hunting classic 30-30 cal lever action winchester rifle (plenty of stopping power). Thanks your opinions are appreciated!:thumb:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Where?
Terrain?
Longest possible shot anticipated?

What makes you think a double would have less power with same loads as a single shot anyway?
Recoil?

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Huh??

Too many variables to factor in for your hunt...

And how's the single-shot 20ga "more powerful" than the double barrel?
If i loaded a 3" magnum slug in the double barrel and a skeet load in the single-barrel, the double would be more powerful.

·
20 gauge for anything
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really know how a 20 gauge double would have less power. But a lot of people say a single barrel has more recoil?

·
Registered
345 Posts
A double can't have less power than a single, simply because you have an extra round ready to go at the next pull of the triger.

A single barrel may have more recoil than a double simply because it is lighter. Gun weight and stock design are major factors in perceived recoil (what your sholder feels).

The best answer to your original question is take the one you can shoot the most accurately...

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Like brother buck said what your terrain, and logest anticepated shot going to be. While I personally frown on the 20ga for some jobs. Slug throwing isn't one of them and it will do the job just great. But there are good things to be said about the .30-30 too. Ethier way I think it's hard to make a bad choice.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'd go .30-.30...most double barrels aren't known for thier ability to shoot slugs, and my single shot 20 gauge with a modified choke can only shoot slugs reasonably out to 30 yards. I suppose yours might be better. Still, a .30-.30 will take you 30 yards to 200+.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I like my brother's 30-30. It's an awesome weapon with a fine amount of stopping power and really good accuracy.

I like my Lee Enfield .303 thou. I remanufactured it by hand, and made it one fine piece of weaponry. It's good for most terrains and it can fitted with a scope for long range shots.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
.308 Winchester. The ONLY way to go hunting. Good for deer, feral hogs, aardvarks, most bears, gnus, Tasmanian devils, geese, pachyderms and, of course, wabbits. A good bolt action rifle with a decent scope and watch out deer!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts