Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about a shtf firearms lately and thought I would bounce a few ideas off here. The thing I am trying to keep in mind is realistic arms for the problems and situation. To me worst case uses would be to fend off a gang/clan of people, so a semi-auto rifle. Hunting or longer range worries a simple bolt action rifle, mainly for how reliable the arm would be. Then the practicality of a handgun in travels or bugging out on foot.

For the calibers I would be trying standardise as much as possible while trying to avoid using a round for something it shouldn't. Here what I was pretty sure about.

bolt action rifle - .223
handgun - 9 mm

I wonder a little about the stopping power of the 9 mm but I would be using hollow point and numbers come into play with cost/capacity.

For the semi-auto I was thinking about the Cx4 (9mm carbine) or an AK variant, going for best accuracy. The main advantage of the Cx4 would be shared ammo between the handgun and even clips of I get the right handgun. I have serious concerns with reliability with it though, which is way I am also thinking about the AK. The disadvantage there being another round to worry about, but of course that round would have more stopping power.

The cost factor would be that the AK it self would be way cheaper but the ammo would end up being more. With either arm I would be doing things to it such as scopes/flashlight so the cost there would probably be about the same.

Would a 9mm carbine be enough? Would the firearm hold up? Are 3 different calibers too many?

·
Registered
124 Posts
AR15 verry accurate and good power can carry alot of ammo.
30-06

all have all you need.

Ive seen ar hollow point blow a huge hole out of the back of empty propane tank from forclif ( at least 1/4 inch thick) with out any problems 100yards out
all have good stopping power and range. just my 2 cents.

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
Okay....your planning on getting a bolt action in .223, a handgun in 9mm and either a AK or a 9mm carbine.

Heres a solution, skip the bolt action and 9mm carbine, take the money you would have spent and buy an AR or an AK. Either caliber will work for hunting, they're both semi-auto for defense and then you only have one rifle caliber and one handgun caliber to worry about.

Reactions: voiderest

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Okay....your planning on getting a bolt action in .223, a handgun in 9mm and either a AK or a 9mm carbine.

Heres a solution, skip the bolt action and 9mm carbine, take the money you would have spent and buy an AR or an AK. Either caliber will work for hunting, they're both semi-auto for defense and then you only have one rifle caliber and one handgun caliber to worry about.

I agree 100%. I have a multitude of calibers and weapons that range from 22lr to 308cal and although I choose my 40cal over my 9mm, I would not hesitate to grab the 9mm if I had to. The AR15 is my first choice also as I would grab mine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
One problem with any autoloading firearm can be ammo sensitivity. Unless you've stockpiled huge amonts of specifically what your gun(s) likes, you might be better off with revolvers / manually operated shoulder guns.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its my understanding that the AK would be more reliable and less sensitive to ammo then say an AR, first hand experience may make me change my mind. The AK would probably be cheaper in the short and long run as well. The insane stories of reliable is what gets me the most, even without shtf planning I think I'd want one. Probably have other arms too, just won't save a whole lot of ammo for them or would be on the sale list if cash gets tight.

Think I'll start with a plinking rifle while trying out a lot of other arms before making any final/expensive choices. Thanks for advice and info, always helpful. (includes info all over the board)

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
There are a large number of options here...

For a survival rifle I would go with an AK, an M-4 variant that shoots 7.62 X 39 ammo or a Robinson Arms XCR carbine in 7.62 X 39. I would also make sure that I had some sort of scope or red dot sight mounted on it to enhance my shooting speed or ability in general. I would not be trying to make any 7.62 X 39 shooter into "a sniper rifle."

You can also get with Olympic Arms and their carbines that shoot either 9 mm or .40 S&W pistol ammo. If you get certain OA carbines, those carbines will use Glock pistol magazines. See the link below for the page that shows the K40-GL and the K9-GL carbines.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

If you were to go with the carbines from OA then you would only need one set of magazines and ammo type to fit a Glock pistol and your carbine which would be beneficial to your efforts. I would think about the .40 S&W bullet over going with the 9 mm bullet. But, like I say, think about mounting a scope or red dot on the rifle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are you trying to do?
I was thinking a home defense for a good size property or as protection at a BOL. That being for a rifle, handgun for general carry. Like I said the worst I see happening would be someone or number of people wanting what I've got. Hunting big game would have a limited roll as I don't know much about hunting and don't see myself in a good location for it. As I think small game would be more common was thinking snare traps.

If my prospective on kind of problems are wrong feel free to correct me.

How far do you need to shoot?
I'm thinking well ahead so I don't have numbers. The area I'm looking to move to would be desert or plains, fairly open land.

What cover do you need to shoot through?
The only kind of cover I imagine anyone trying to use would be a car or residential wall. It my understanding such thing are not cover, maybe somethings will stop 9mm? I could also see someone using a tree or their fellow man...

Physical abilities?
No real extra abilities.

Physical disabilities?
Out of shape (skinny/lacking muscle) and limited first hand firearms experience. Besides that nothing, not even glasses or meds.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its my understanding that the AK would be more reliable and less sensitive to ammo then say an AR, first hand experience may make me change my mind. The AK would probably be cheaper in the short and long run as well. The insane stories of reliable is what gets me the most, even without shtf planning I think I'd want one. Probably have other arms too, just won't save a whole lot of ammo for them or would be on the sale list if cash gets tight.

Think I'll start with a plinking rifle while trying out a lot of other arms before making any final/expensive choices. Thanks for advice and info, always helpful. (includes info all over the board)
Ive put hundreds of rounds through my ar and never had a problem, its all about you magazines, get the none tilt follows and it will eat anything

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

How far do you need to shoot?
I'm thinking well ahead so I don't have numbers. The area I'm looking to move to would be desert or plains, fairly open land.
Ether 308 or 30-06

Choices (As I see it):
M1A
FAL
CETME/PTR-91

M1 Garand...
(THis one being in 30-06)

My first choice would be the M1A, followed by the FAL... (Personal preference)

THe Handling capabilities of the CETME/HK make me say no it it (Others disagree)

THe cheaper price of the 30-06 might make the M1 an option...

$0.02

·
Registered
185 Posts
My bugout firearms are:

Rifle: Polish Tantal
Pistol: Colt. 45 (I know the .45 is a bit heavy and ammo is as well, but just can't part w/ it...great stopping power and wealth of parts make it a fav of mine)
2nd option would be my Berreta 92F.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
My bugout firearms are:

Rifle: Polish Tantal
Pistol: Colt. 45 (I know the .45 is a bit heavy and ammo is as well, but just can't part w/ it...great stopping power and wealth of parts make it a fav of mine)
2nd option would be my Berreta 92F.
Haha, from one extreme to the next.LOL
I have that problem also. .45 to heavy but great stopping power or the M9 9mm not much stopping power but carries plenty of ammo. Couldn't decide so I choose the HK USP :thumb:40cal which is perfect and covers all areas just fine. IMO

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well use whatever you will be comfortable with. A 30-30 marlin lever action is a good gun, with the new ammo they are making you can hit 200+ yards. But with standard 30-30 which is pretty cheap you can get 100-120 yards. And with anything practice makes perfect, you might have a gun and ammo that is accurate at 300 yards with a 1 inch spread but if you shoot for ****, it will shoot for ****. As for a pistolhttp://www.impactguns.com/store/725327600527.html cheap, cheap ammo and it works well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts