Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this survivalist thinking but i am all for it. I have decided to purchase a shotgun and handgun.

I live in an urban area and am looking for something to use for home protection and to start preparing in case EOTWAWKI happens.

I am looking at Glock 23 and Remington 870's

Which one do you think that i should purchase first?

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
Personally, I'd say the shotgun first. It's a more versatile tool with just a simple change of what shotshells are loaded. In fact, I just had this conversation with a co-worker shortly before the election and told him the same thing.

That being said, I'm assuming you at least know the basics of firearms and are conversant with gun safety and care. If you are not, then I'd start with a .22LR.

Same advice I give everyone.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
An excellent argument can be made for either one!

Normally I would say the shotgun, cuase its about as versitile of an gun as one can get and if I cant have a Benelli shotgun in one of thier "combat" models or another then the Remington 870 gets the nod. But after reading several post from a guy whos user name is Ferfal, Im of the opinion that a pistol should be the first of the two, and for the same reasons they posted. Here is a link to Frugalsquirrels where it was originally posted...

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044387;p=1

Hope this helps out a bit.

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
Haggel with them... .

Get both. Tell the guys at the gun shop to make you a deal on both. Offer them cash and see how low they will go. And just when you get them at their bottom dollar.....tell them to throw in some ammo. That tactic has worked for me in the past, but with the way guns are flying off the shelves, maybe not so much. But it is worth the try.

Oh yeah, buy high cap mags for your pistol, as many as you can. The ban will happen again and you will have missed your window of opportunity.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Get your Glock first and then get an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit. That way you have your regular handgun and a rimfire trainer/small game getter.

Then start looking around for the Remington 870.

Next an SKS or an AK depending on your budget.

I also want to remind people that shotguns do not do 99% of the stuff you see them do in Movies and on TV.
And, they do not all pattern or spread their shot the same way, some will be off the point of aim a bit and a few can be waay off. So check where your's hits and how it patterns on something like chart paper or poster board.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Good choices both. I would tend toward the 870 first. Because it is a good all purpose arm and if TSHTF before you get a handgun, you will be able to bag game. On another practical note, I myself have standardized in the most common military and civilian calibers for future ammo availability. These calibers also tend to be cheaper as well. I own 12 gauge, .22LR, 9mm, 7.62x39, 7.62NATO(308).

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
Pistol- Easy to conceal, ammo weighs less enabling you to carry more rounds. Glock 23 holds 13+1 reloading is quick.
Shotgun- Devastating Fire power, Ammo weighs more so you will carry less, 870 Tactical holds 6+1, reloading is slow.
I own both, I would pick the 23 first. I would also pick up as many hi-cap mags as I could.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Pistol first. Your're gonna have a hard time explaining why you're carrying around a shotgun to people in Walmart. The way I look at it, when things go sideways, there may not be much warning (ie you may need a gun faster than you can get home). I nearly ALWAYS have a pistol on my person but rarely any other firearm ... you now know my reasons for this.

·
Registered
826 Posts
...I am looking at Glock 23 and Remington 870's Which one do you think that i should purchase first?
First off, for someone looking at getting some first firearms, I commend you on your choices. Other than an AK or a Ruger 10/22, a Glock 23 and a Remington 870 are about the most practical and versatile survival gun choices you could make.

In your position, I'd get the Glock first but follow with the 870 ASAP. :thumb:

Ideally, your "core arsenal" for S&P should contain one each of the following for each able-bodied adult (or responsible teen) in your household:

* Combat handgun
The Glock 23, IMHO, is the best all-around Glock and covers this base

* Battle rifle
AK, AR, HK, FAL... Wade into the alphabet soup and select your proven mag-fed centerfire semi-auto of choice

* Tactical shotgun
The 870 is the standard, good for "bad guys" on two legs or four

* Subcaliber utility rifle
Ruger 10/22. 'Nuff said!

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
Each choice has its advantages and disadvantages.

The Glock is easily concealed and has a "high capacity" magazine. However, it is not as versatile as the shotgun.

The shotgun is very versatile. It can put dinner on the table or a bad guy in the morgue. However, you aren't going to be able to conceal the damn thing very well.

Under the circumstances, I'd get the shotgun first and follow up with the Glock. JMHO. Go with your instincts.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
if you have NO weapons. the 1st weapon you need to get is a pistol. because you can take a pistol every where you go. with a rifle or shotgun you will have to leave at home when you go out, but a pistol can be hidden and taken with you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What I would get is the one you probably will not be able to get in the near future. .22's and shotguns I suspect will always be available. I believe the handguns that have massive magazines and the black rifles that the democrats like to fault for all the worlds ills are the guns that are going to take a big hit. If you want one, get it now.

If the two you mentioned are really all your looking at, I would get the Glock first. The shotgun will always be around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the two you mentioned are really all your looking at, I would get the Glock first. The shotgun will always be around.
This is spot on IMO. Get the High Capacity handgun while you can. The shotgun will be available later. Get the handgun and then the 12 gauge asap. I like the .40s&w round myself. But a 9mm is cheaper and is the NATO round, so the ammo is going to be more readily available. I have both. The S&W M&P pistols are excellent, and made in America. Glocks are excellent as well. Again I have both :) Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts