10 racks
Temperature setting gauge
Height 15 inches
width 15 inches
length 18 inches
$65

OR

Ronco 5 tray
New and still in plastic and shipping box. Instruction manual lists an order price of $129.95.

$30

Now it seems pretty easy I think - the top one looks more sturdy? Plus it goes for around $200 I believe.
But, I am a busy mom and don't know many hunters, don't know much about dehydrating - but it is on my list on cannery supplies to obtain.
So
Which would you choose?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I've heard good things about the Excalibur but haven't bought it yet, still using my cheapo one I got from ebay for about 30$. It works, but I have my eye on the excalibur..more even and faster drying..ahhhh (careful, it's addictive!)

·
Registered
3,019 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Do I just lay the food on the racks in the first one Excalibur rip off?
Yep, you can just slice things into sizes that will fit. Typically, you want to make things thin with lots of surface area for the fastest drying. Then you just turn it on and check back occasionally. Each dehydrator is different so you'll have to learn the times for the one you get.

·
Registered
33,251 Posts
I have a cheap one...but I love the beef/deer jerky it makes, my sons always begs me to make some

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up having to get the Ronco one. The man with the 10 tray was super sweet but one other person could meet with him earlier than I could (I had school) & he ended up purchasing it.

I was a little disappointed, but the Ronco one has 7 trays (not 5) and I figured for learning the ropes and for the price it would work for now.

I love Craigslist, We were able to get a new in box generator & dehydrator for half the price of new ones. I'm pretty much out of money for preps, but I'm really proud of what we got :)

Thanks so much everyone for the advice!!! I would have taken it if I could have :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts