Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I shoot guns, but know nothing about bows.

My 10 year old wants a bow (he think he wants to bow hunt someday).

We saw the Bear Brave bow set at Bass Pro for $69.99 but they were out.
After looking online I thought he might do better with the Bear Warrior.
http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/youth/ Cabela's has these for $59.99 and $99.99 ($20off$100) And these have mixed reviews.

I then found PSE Ranger Youth Bow Set
http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/pseranger.html
I found it for $65, but can't find any reviews.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions that might help?

Of course we'd like to get a browning or other great brand,but we have to keep it under $100.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have a blessed day

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
My husband and I shoot guns, but know nothing about bows.

My 10 year old wants a bow (he think he wants to bow hunt someday)...
From the links it looks like you're set on getting a compound bow. Whether or not that's the best choice depends on your philosophy regarding your son's education. I learned on a 35# plastic recurve bow. Once he's proficient with a bow like this, switching over to a heavier compound will be a piece of cake. It's kind of like learning to drive a stick shift before driving an automatic.

The other side is that the compound is easier to shoot well, so it's more likely to keep his interest AND they're "So cool Dad."

Just thought I'd throw that out as an option...

Allan

·
Intemporaliter Fidelis
282 Posts
Just my opinion but I think everyone should learn on a traditional bow. and I agree starting on a compound is like learning to drive on a automatic. It will work but a large chunk of driving skills are missing. A traditional bow also requires stalking skills which are a lost art these days. Everyone wants to sit in a tree on their butts and bait the deer. boy there is a sport for you.
Get him a traditional bow and take him squirrel hunting. he will learn valuable stalking skills hunting squirrels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have seen both, a child learning with a recurve and a kid with a compound. I agree that a recurve takes a lot of practice. and arrows to be a good shot with one. Were with the compound bow is a little easier to learn. Kids want to hit wat they are shooting at to keep their interest up. In tradition bow shooting there are very few people that completely master it. Compound bows are by far easier to master which makes it the better bow for hunting. A person owes their prey the fastest and most painless kill.
As for your bow choices they are all pretty good bows. I shoot Bowtech, Martin and PSE and they all shoot good. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i started with a 35lb pull wooden recurve when i was a kid,any bow of the right size would just about do as a starter around 15 to 20 lb pull depending on the kid they will grow out of them fairly fast if he gets into it and grows,even at the lower power the arrows can be deadly and he would need adult supervision with it.he might not even like it so i would not spend a bunch of money on the first bow,if he gets into it take him to a bow shop and get one thats more fitted to him for serious shooting.

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
Parker makes a bow that will grow with your child from his current age all the way to young adult. It comes with interchangealbe limbs that you rotate as he grows. I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head but it is carried by bass pro and gander mountain. Good luck, just a side note my six year old is large for his age but has already outgrown his brave, I will probably be getting him the parker.

It is the parker buck shot

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
me I started with a stick and a string... then a fiberglass bow just simple normal bow no compond bow.. Ive never tried a compond bow

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i would look up on the internet find a couple of brands/models you want to get then look on E-bay you can really get some great deals on bows on e-bay :thumb:

·
******* With Black Rifles
107 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts