Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Romans 3:23
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished all ten of A American’s series. I really liked them. I’ve also read most of James Wesley Rawles’ books. What should I read next? I like that genre and a similar plot would be great.

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
I just finished all ten of A American’s series. I really liked them. I’ve also read most of James Wesley Rawles’ books. What should I read next? I like that genre and a similar plot would be great.
There are also the Charlie's Requiem books that AA co-wrote. I think four of them. Same event, different cast and location.

One Second After by William Forstchen. There are two sequels that I have not finished reading. One Year After and The Final Day. Writing style is not at funny as AA and not as tech heavy as Rawles.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Read “The Soldiers Son”, it is amazing!

“you need to move out here. I work much cheaper”, tedlovesjeeps71 ; 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so spelling is probably horrible.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
Oh you need to read One Second After by William R. Forstchen It's a series now called The John Matherson Series which is what the main character's name is.

It is soo spooky but on the edge of your seat good. To me it was anyway. Enough so that I couldn't/didn't want to read the other 2. Left me with high anxiety for about 6 weeks.

A post-apocalyptic thriller of the after effects in the United States after a terrifying terrorist attack using electromagnetic pulse weapons.

"New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end."

The John Matherson Series
#1 One Second After
#2 One Year After
#3 The Final Day

Reactions: Jack Swilling

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Well, this is an unpopular opinion but I couldn't stand One Second After. Not a single like able character or anything of value for a prepper. Not even a realistic EMP effect. By the end of the book I was just hoping everyone would die. I've tried to re-read it twice over the last ten years to see if it was better on a second reading and both times couldn't get past the second or third chapter.

Going home was low grade trashy romance for preppers. More enjoyable than One Second After but still basically junk. Well, at least the first book. I could never bring myself to try any of the others. I hear they got better?

Anyway, the book I right read BEFORE either of those two was "Dies The Fire" by SM stirling which is my all time favorite book of the genre. It was after that book that I went looking for more in the same genre and ended up striking out two times in a row with OSA and Going home.

"Wolf and Iron" is another one that like but nobody else seems to have ever heard of.

Reactions: Jennifers

·
reluctant sinner
17,545 Posts
We have at least 2 writers here Ann Christy and Jerry D. Young. I have bought and read several of their works, all were good reads. Sometimes they have free books on Amazon so you can sample their work for free.

I haven't done a lot of reading lately, busy fixing stuff.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
We have at least 2 writers here Ann Christy and Jerry D. Young. I have bought and read several of their works, all were good reads. Sometimes they have free books on Amazon so you can sample their work for free.

I haven't done a lot of reading lately, busy fixing stuff.

JDY will send you a thumb drive with his works on it, or he used to, for a small fee. It usually covers the cost of the drive and shipping(no real profit for him). I have all of his books, and have read all of them. Jerry is a great author, and a great resource. When I messaged him on here, he took time to chat about a lot of things. He was not in a hurry to get off of the phone, he was legitimately a great person! That is hard to find nowadays! @jdy

“you need to move out here. I work much cheaper”, tedlovesjeeps71 ; 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so spelling is probably horrible.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,215 Posts
The enjoyed all of William Forstchen's books. Although I disagree with aerindel on the quality, I can agree with not teaching much those that prep. However, his books do stimulate thought and are an excellent way to subtly inspire others to prep.

·
Romans 3:23
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll add all to my list. I did read through one of the stickied posts and found a free book on Amazon from one of the authors on here.

·
Hail to the King, Baby
1,692 Posts
The "Borrowed World" series by Franklin Horton. Six books so far, and REALLY helped me see some holes in my preps and bags that I had overlooked.

·
Off the leash
2,178 Posts
Alas, Babylon is a classic by Pat Frank. Over 60 years old, but still one of the best.

Lights Out by David Crawford is a very good one too if you can find it.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
When you need a break from TEWOTWAWKI, try the Sheriff Walt Longmeyer series by Craig Johnson. We loved the TV series, but the 15 books are even better.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
Check out the Borrowed World Series by Franklin Horton. I liked it a lot better than the Going Home series.

There is a Locker Nine series as well as a Mad **** series by Franklin Horton that exists in the same universe as the Borrowed World series.

McLOVIN

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Check out the Borrowed World Series by Franklin Horton. I liked it a lot better than the Going Home series.

There is a Locker Nine series as well as a Mad **** series by Franklin Horton that exists in the same universe as the Borrowed World series.

McLOVIN

I keep wanting to try out the borrowed world but they are so short and relatively expensive I fell like I'm going to get ripped off. A lot of prepper fiction seems like that. They are practically selling the story chapter by chapter.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well, this is an unpopular opinion but I couldn't stand One Second After. Not a single like able character or anything of value for a prepper. Not even a realistic EMP effect. By the end of the book I was just hoping everyone would die. I've tried to re-read it twice over the last ten years to see if it was better on a second reading and both times couldn't get past the second or third chapter.

Going home was low grade trashy romance for preppers. More enjoyable than One Second After but still basically junk. Well, at least the first book. I could never bring myself to try any of the others. I hear they got better?

Anyway, the book I right read BEFORE either of those two was "Dies The Fire" by SM stirling which is my all time favorite book of the genre. It was after that book that I went looking for more in the same genre and ended up striking out two times in a row with OSA and Going home.

"Wolf and Iron" is another one that like but nobody else seems to have ever heard of.
Gotta agree about One Second After. I'd seen it hyped on forums for years but was barely able to finish it. Won't bother to read any of the later books.
YMMV
Ton Sherry's series, starting with Deep Winter seemed much more realistic to me. Havin' lived near lived near volcanoes for a good many years, I've often thought of the challenges they can cause.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Your by line abnormally biased (if you spelled it correctly, perhaps you actually mean abnormality) fits this assessment. I thought the series pretty much portrayed reality. If you didn’t see that, my friend, I wish you well. I will have to get a copy of Dies The Fire.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just completed the first book in a 3 books series called A Story of Survival. By Jonathan Hollerman. It is a story about a young couple that lives in Pittsburg, when the emp strike happens. The main character Sean is an ex SERE instructor for the air force, and the experience and knowledge he displays is immense. The author Jonathan Hoolerman himself is an ex Air Force SERE instructor, and it is obvious that he knows the subject of survival and displays great insight into survival methods and strategies. It is a fast paced story line that keeps you pulled into the story and it is hard to put down. I read the whole first book in 2.5 days . I downloaded the 2nd book in the series (The Aftermath) and I am looking forward to getting into it. Only $2.99 ea. on a Kindle.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Your by line abnormally biased (if you spelled it correctly, perhaps you actually mean abnormality) fits this assessment. I thought the series pretty much portrayed reality. If you didn’t see that, my friend, I wish you well. I will have to get a copy of Dies The Fire.
It has been suggested by people before that OSA makes more sense if you ever spent time in the east, which I never have. It may be cultural thing.

Dies the fire on the other hand is set in my backyard more or less with characters who I swear are based on people I actually know.

·
Registered
34,704 Posts
It has been suggested by people before that OSA makes more sense if you ever spent time in the east, which I never have. It may be cultural thing.

Dies the fire on the other hand is set in my backyard more or less with characters who I swear are based on people I actually know.
Can I have Juniper 's number....?

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Can I have Juniper 's number....?
hahaha, I didn't know you read that book.

You can....of course...when I first read the book it was 15 years ago so she's a bit older now. Still single though, still a wiccan priestess I think. She is into raising icelandic sheep these days I think. I haven't seen her much since we stopped fighting together but I follow her on facebook

Of course back then it was the Astrid like character I ended up dating and who ended up being the crazy ex girlfriend of my life.

Reactions: n1d
1 - 20 of 32 Posts