Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that when TSHTF the best option for my wife and I is to bug out. There are two locations in which I can choose.

First Location-400 acre with running water supply, around 50 head of cattle but that is the only livestock on property. This location is about 1 hr drive from major city and about 45 min from current location.

Second Location- 5 acres of land with pond and water well, around 30 rabbits, 50 chickens at this time and about an acre garden with various vegies. This location is also about an hour from a med city and is 2 hr drive from my current location.

Both are located in very rural locations away from the beaten path. I believe a major concern will be security. The 400 acre land would be really hard to properly secure whereas the 5 acres would be covered with 5 or 6 people.

Give me your thoughts on what you would choose and dont hesitate to bring up points of concern I have overlooked.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My thoughts are along the line of what you said. Large amount of land is hard to keep secure but you can hide your buildings easier. Cattle are hard to keep hidden.
Small amount of land is easier to keep clean and functional and you would have the small animals and that also seems like a nice bonus.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
My first choice would be the one that is farthest from where the SHTF was initiated.

I have a couple BOLs to go to, a couple of intermediate hold overs along the way. They are nowhere close to each other, SHTF west, I go east and vice versa.

p.s. a hours drive in a SHTF situation is pretty much a day or two hike or so.

Reactions: infantry raider

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes dac, one is my parents and the other is the wife's grandparents. So all I have to do is show up and grab a gun or farm tool.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My first thought was that 50 head of cattle would feed my family for a long time. Would you be able to partition the 400 acres with fencing to make more defendable areas, move the chickens and rabbits to the larger property and plant a garden there?

I do have a couple of questions about the properties that would help me to make a choice if I were lucky enough to have two properties to choose from:
Are there buidings and/or outbuildings on either property?
Are there trees on either property (heating/cooking when power is out)?
Is there currently power to either property?
Is there a way to divert and/or dam up the running water on the larger property in order to create a pond or irrigate a garden?

·
Registered
354 Posts
man, I wish I was in your situation (two excellent locales to chose from).

I personally would go for the larger plot. The reasoning is that it has more room, which gives you (1) more room to do whatever (2) more segregation from others if needed.

You can still focus your primary security on a 5-10 acre area, and even bring cattle inside this area at night if you had to.

With the 5-acre tract, you are maxed out at that much land with no room to expand.

You could always (theoratically) talk your parents into letting you make improvements for them, such as digging a well, etc. (If I had the option, I would want a well too, as flowing water might not be dependable).

Would it be an option to talk your parents into "selling" you a plot off to the side, say 5-10 acres, so you can still "be on their property" but have your own area to invest your efforts that is truly "yours"?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are two houses and four or five small sheds on the large property ,the smaller property has one house and two outhouses one being a big metal shop. trees are abundant on both, power to both properties. One pond on smaller land with two more on surrounding properties, large land has one big pond and a creek that feeds into the river a couple miles away.

·
Registered
270 Posts
400 acres gives u more options...especially if it's wooded...but with cattle I doubt it all is ... but I like steak better than salad....more wild life to choose from....at least you're last meal can be a good one....if it comes to that.....

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Prepare both of them....if feasible.

The closer you are to the city the closer you are going to be to danger in a major SHTF scenerio....Keep in mind if things get so bad you have to flee, other people are going to be doing the same, whether or not they have a place to go.

In something major, expect people to start trying to squat on your property, large or small. Some good, some bad.

Reactions: infantry raider

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would choose the 400 acres, but with heavy modifications. The first is creating a water source on the land, rather than being solely dependent on running water. Second, I would kill off all but a few of the cattle, enough to keep a sustainable population to keep the meat and/or dairy flowing. To me, 50 heads sounds much more like a liability than an asset. Consider keeping fifty animals safe from poachers, predators, and environmental hazards, as well as keeping them fed through the winter, as opposed to say, 15 or even 25. That being said, fresh meat and dairy will become gold post-SHTF. Therefore, keeping some cattle is good, but 50 sounds like too much. If all of them dropped one morning, you wouldn't be able to harvest them quick enough, and there goes lost revenue. Also, on a side note, do you have a bull to sire them with?

Another reason I like the 400 acres is that you have more land you control as buffer zones. Let's say a raiding party is sneaking to your compound. If you put laser trip wires at the boundaries of your property, you will have more time to deal with the situation on 400 acres than you do on 5. Of course, if they are driving to your compound, you would most likely hear them at the same time on both properties, but that is assuming that they are driving still.

I would also create entrenched positions on the most likely trail for people to come into the compound, so that anyone on guard duty doesn't have to face the elements, and so they can defend the compound from a safer position.

Anyways, JMHO.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
What a surplus of riches! Be flexible. Go to whichever one is better suited at the time. The factors which make one a better choice over the other may not come into play until you have to choose.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Depends on what the SHTF and its Loc. I would prob. head to my Parents land over my Wife's Grandparents land. Just for family sake. In a true long term Shtf, Your gonna need all the working and shooting hands you can get.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts