Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Business Owner
3,103 Posts
Prostrate?
Probably not.

Diabetics have to drink and pee alot because the high sugar levels excreted in urine cause more fluid to be needed for dissolving the sugars and also protein is flushed out of the body.

One of the first warning signs for many diabetics is the high thirst and frequent need to pee. Also, having to clean the toilet more frequently because of mold build-up. The mold love the high sugar content of unmanaged diabetic's pee.

·
reluctant sinner
18,876 Posts
My VA issued meter I used for about 10 years was Accu-Chek Aviva. Was accurate, easy to use, great battery life. Last year they issued me a Accu-Chek Guide Me, I don't like it - the test strips are tiny and hard to insert without contaminating them PIA. Plus the plastic can they come isn't as useful as the old strips came in like a 35mm plastic film can.

I pull the strips out as soon as I write down the time and number on my calendar log ( maybe that's why I get good battery life). Once a week I check the meter for the 7,14, and 30 day avg record that plus my weight goes into the log. I put an O on the log each morning I take my meds and an X in for the evening meds every day. I keep my meds by week in two 7 day containers a morning and evening one.

While a type 2, I do better if I test every morning rather than 3 times a week.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hmmmm I just stick my finger , but I really don’t check 🤣
what is the purpose of checking?
I could be high but it dose me no good to check .
By checking you BG level, you can adjust your diet to reduce (or increase) your carb levels; or, adjust/begin/reduce your physical exercise level. Or check to see if your medication needs to be adjusted: example, I was put on a med to reduce carb absorption in my gut, I got better results by adding cinnamon caps to my diet than what this med did. If you do not check, you cannot manage your diabetes in association with your doctor's efforts.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was on metformin for years, then metformin er but finally quit because of bowel issues. Besides diabetics there are some that take metformin as an off label life extension drug.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My wife almost died from getting covid which triggered a serious diabetes crash and burn.
Got to the ER non ambulatory and after four days in ICU spent another two days on the medical floor and checked herself out. Narrowly missed having remdisavier administered. First thing in the ER door they administered a covid test and since she was having breathing problems the doc just chalked it up to covid lungs and walked away. Luckily they checked her blood and the blood glucose was 800-1000 and potassium non existent. Her discharge stated covid pneumonia even tho her O2 sat was 96 going in and has stayed above 95 on discharge.
There is a actual medical condition where a serious infection can cause diabetes which we finally found out from a local doctor not working for the only hospital in town.
Still playing with the dosage of insulin and twice daily metformin and have two different meters with one being rechargeable and the other has a battery. We have to watch eating too late in the evening so the levels don't spike too high come morning. Still trying to figure out how to get extra supplies.
Doing a lot of low carb food and some excellent salmon. Going for more fresh eggs this summer when the chickens start laying.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I live near Canadian border so before Medicare used to get insulin from canada. Used
Diabetesexpress.ca. Humalog insulin vial that's $300+ here is less than$30. They only ship in Canada but I received at a Canadian ups store till I found their brick and mortar shop in Vancouver. Border lets you cross with 90 day supply though you should really call them yourself. Check Goodrx.com for prices on other drugs. Generic drugs are more expensive in Canada it seems. With covid shortages docs seem more willing to write longer prescriptions especially if you see them regularly. Wal-Mart has syringes much cheaper than bd. The test strips also cheap but get the right ones for your meter. There are reli on prime and just reli on I believe and they are not the same. Try any off brands before stocking up.

·
Business Owner
3,103 Posts
I live near Canadian border so before Medicare used to get insulin from canada. Used
Diabetesexpress.ca. Humalog insulin vial that's $300+ here is less than$30. They only ship in Canada but I received at a Canadian ups store till I found their brick and mortar shop in Vancouver. Border lets you cross with 90 day supply though you should really call them yourself. Check Goodrx.com for prices on other drugs. Generic drugs are more expensive in Canada it seems. With covid shortages docs seem more willing to write longer prescriptions especially if you see them regularly. Wal-Mart has syringes much cheaper than bd. The test strips also cheap but get the right ones for your meter. There are reli on prime and just reli on I believe and they are not the same. Try any off brands before stocking up.
Walmart sells Novolin N insulin for $25 a vial. Each vial has 1000 units, I believe. No Rx needed for it or syringes. I get the 30 and 50 unit syringes and have a stock of insulin in the fridge that is on backup power.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for the info BrianWorf. So do i just walk up to the counter at my local wal$Mart and lay down my money?
Or are they going to want a good back story. My wife is on a prescription for the pens which are slick and work well. But like many on this forum i want to plan more than a month ahead at a time.(can't seem to get that from our prescribing Doc or the pharmacy that is part of the health service) So i am thinking of stocking the wal mart brand of insulin as a backup.
We have off grid refrigeration available. We also work with indian tribes on our own and have been in a situation with a diabetic emergency and no health services available and even tho everyone's auntie is diabetic we couldn't find any one dark and stormy night. till a miracle happened.
Right now we are using a Tru Metrix meter and strips which seems consistent tho I think I will check it's calibration after reading some of the comments.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My wife almost died from getting covid which triggered a serious diabetes crash and burn.
Got to the ER non ambulatory and after four days in ICU spent another two days on the medical floor and checked herself out. Narrowly missed having remdisavier administered. First thing in the ER door they administered a covid test and since she was having breathing problems the doc just chalked it up to covid lungs and walked away. Luckily they checked her blood and the blood glucose was 800-1000 and potassium non existent. Her discharge stated covid pneumonia even tho her O2 sat was 96 going in and has stayed above 95 on discharge.
There is a actual medical condition where a serious infection can cause diabetes which we finally found out from a local doctor not working for the only hospital in town.
Still playing with the dosage of insulin and twice daily metformin and have two different meters with one being rechargeable and the other has a battery. We have to watch eating too late in the evening so the levels don't spike too high come morning. Still trying to figure out how to get extra supplies.
Doing a lot of low carb food and some excellent salmon. Going for more fresh eggs this summer when the chickens start laying.
seen a recall notice today for Metformin, you might want to google it, i think i seen it on Yahoo's front page this morning but it could be buried by now!

·
1,333 Posts
Seems like most comments are type 2 or pre-diabetic and almost all the generic ones work fine and work the same. Type 1 really needs a CGM if you can get one. I have seen it save lives

·
living in the desert
516 Posts
My wife is a 30+ year insulin dependent diabetic. The best thing ever is her continuous glucose monitor. It is paired to her phone and it checks blood sugar every 5 minutes.
She gets alerts for high or low sugar levels. Right now she has the Dexcom G6.
She dropped her A1C 2 whole points. The CMG also tells you what your average A1C is.
Right now she is waiting for the new Dexcom G7.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
My ac1 go’s up and down every year I’m mostly around ac1 of 7 but if I’m working at the cabin before I go in for my physical I could pop a 9.5 .
i went in for my dot physical in September and I was 6.2 and I lost a few pounds
and my blood presser was way down . Maybe I’m getting younger .😛

·
Registered
679 Posts
My ac1 go’s up and down every year I’m mostly around ac1 of 7 but if I’m working at the cabin before I go in for my physical I could pop a 9.5 .
i went in for my dot physical in September and I was 6.2 and I lost a few pounds
and my blood presser was way down . Maybe I’m getting younger .😛
My wife used to work where they gave a lot of DOT physicals. She could talk guys down from high BP by the calm darkened room and soothing bio feedback. Many people get the white coat BP spike when they walk in a doctors office.

·
Business Owner
3,103 Posts
Thanks for the info BrianWorf. So do i just walk up to the counter at my local wal$Mart and lay down my money?
Or are they going to want a good back story. My wife is on a prescription for the pens which are slick and work well. But like many on this forum i want to plan more than a month ahead at a time.(can't seem to get that from our prescribing Doc or the pharmacy that is part of the health service) So i am thinking of stocking the wal mart brand of insulin as a backup.
We have off grid refrigeration available. We also work with indian tribes on our own and have been in a situation with a diabetic emergency and no health services available and even tho everyone's auntie is diabetic we couldn't find any one dark and stormy night. till a miracle happened.
Right now we are using a Tru Metrix meter and strips which seems consistent tho I think I will check it's calibration after reading some of the comments.
Yes. You just go to the pharmacy counter and tell them you need Novolin N insulin and the syringes. I was worried at first when I asked for 2 vials, 1 for now and 1 to stash; but they didn't even blink. I have a stashed 2 year supply now that I rotate thru.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Try the insulin before stocking up. I think I started on novulin insulin but trying it later it was not nearly as effective as much more expensive humalog. when you see doc ask if he has samples, he won't have generics because drug companies don't hand those out.
True metrix was pretty accurate for me though the strips are not quite as cheap as Wal-Mart reli on prime. The meter cost is low, many brands give a free one as they make their money on the strips. But buying A Wal-Mart prime meter can be cheapest option.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I got a free acucheck guide meter, my previous broke at dr. Office. This seems to be working better though I've only had a short time. I got the same model because I had a stock of strips for it. The Lancet device with it is a cheap looking one that uses proprietary lancets, not the universal ones most use. They used to give A fancy 6 or so Lancet cartridge one that used their proprietary lancets. Another thing I don't like about meter is it doesn't turn off immediately after removing strip. You can turn it off immediately by pushing and holding button.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Try the insulin before stocking up. I think I started on novulin insulin but trying it later it was not nearly as effective as much more expensive humalog. when you see doc ask if he has samples, he won't have generics because drug companies don't hand those out.
True metrix was pretty accurate for me though the strips are not quite as cheap as Wal-Mart reli on prime. The meter cost is low, many brands give a free one as they make their money on the strips. But buying A Wal-Mart prime meter can be cheapest option.
Right now I am concerned with shipping break downs and shortages of insulin. So anything is better than nothing. I have long term refrigeration capabilities to store things.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts