Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to switch monitors, I have an accucheck guide but am replacing batteries often and many strips give error messages. I haven't even used their cartridge lancing system, I have others.
I don't mind finger sticking though doc is pushing continuous monitor, anyone use those? I prefer staying with easy old style monitor, sugar is pretty controlled and I generally feel when its low and check.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm going to switch monitors, I have an accucheck guide but am replacing batteries often and many strips give error messages. I haven't even used their cartridge lancing system, I have others.
I don't mind finger sticking though doc is pushing continuous monitor, anyone use those? I prefer staying with easy old style monitor, sugar is pretty controlled and I generally feel when its low and check.
I also use AccuCheck Guide (since they discontinued the Compact). So far I've only changed the battery once. Perhaps your batteries are old, or their is a flaw in the monitor. I've been using the same battery >1year (test 1x/day). The AC Guide is the only system I have.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it might be the battery brand, some Chinese ones off amazon. But the energizer batteries don't last much longer, not much more than a month. And the cheap ones also went in a kitchen scale and work fine.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Hmmmm I just stick my finger , but I really don’t check 🤣
what is the purpose of checking?
I could be high but it dose me no good to check .

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
So let me ask when you check your self and you pop a big number ? Then what , don’t eat ?
I just try to eat a little as I can , I cruse around 170 in the am and by 10am I’m down to 130
by dinner time I could be 95ish I stay down to around 130ish and go to bed .
In the morning I’m back to 170 what is the point in sticking my finger ?

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,410 Posts
So let me ask when you check your self and you pop a big number ? Then what , don’t eat ?
I just try to eat a little as I can , I cruse around 170 in the am and by 10am I’m down to 130
by dinner time I could be 95ish I stay down to around 130ish and go to bed .
In the morning I’m back to 170 what is the point in sticking my finger ?
What helps my morning numbers is to have a no carb high protein snack before bedtime.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
O boy it’s 900 and I just had a Ice cream cone so I blew it it .
What type of snack are you having ?
I’ve been diabetic since 07 but it dosent bother me much .
If I don’t eat carbs I can stay down to 95 120 but I don’t see the point .

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
18,026 Posts
I use the Relion one from Walmart. I am not diabetic and intend to keep it that way. My brother is a brittle type 1 and it will likely kill him.

www.bloodsugar101.com has some very good information on why you should aim to keep your sugars around 85 all the time. The "approved" diet and numbers are all wrong/too high.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For myself I take insulin and watch for low blood sugar especially at bedtime. Low blood sugar is particularly dangerous but easily corrected within about 20 minutes with some juice then something longer lasting. I do have a glycogen kit but you have to mix then inject it so not good if you're by yourself. Better if you can take care of issue before its that bad with juice. My last low blood sugar was 72 and I was shaky enough to be concerned about going upstairs for juice. Diabetics get used to a higher level of sugar in their blood and if I'm below 100 I start thinking about getting some food. High sugar does the damage but low sugar is bad too, in fact I think the likelihood of death is higher after a low sugar incident. I have not gotten high enough to worry about ketoacidosis.
The Wal-Mart reli on is fine and strips are much cheaper than others. However some studies show pharmacy branded meters are not as accurate as name branded, by as much as 25+ difference. I have used reli on and it matched pretty good with my a1C numbers though I did not try to use 2 different meters at the same time. Strips do have a shelf life and do go bad.
Once I was using a hospital monitor and my reading was way high. But I was holding it upside down and read the digital numbers wrong.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm borderline diabetic so I check mine at least once daily with a freestyle leibre {spelling} the unit itself seems good with good battery life, the strips are few and far between Buy em if you see em cause they won't be there if you need them

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I was diagnosed as diabetic it was obvious, at least in my case. I was getting up to pee a couple times a night and was losing weight. Harder to lose weight when on insulin.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use the Contour Next EZ by Bayer, haven't had any problems with it since 2016 when i started using it, the strips run in the $14 range for 50 strips, it also has memory for storing the data.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Contour Next, been using it for ~7 or 8 years, still on original battery. Supposed to check 4X daily, usually do 2 or 3.
Was diagnosed December 99, was told I'd been diabetic for a while. A1C runs 6-6.5.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Traveler, that's pretty good. I'm down to 6.5 but am on insulin, ozempic, and some oral drugs. The drugs are why I have to watch low blood sugar.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts