Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone looked into a comparison of the various name brands vs generic store brands etc?

·
566 Posts
As with any comparison of generic/store brands and name brands...I look at the ingredients list, including the really fine printed list of "extras". For the most part, generics/store brands are the same as name brands on the major/primary ingredients - it's the "extras" (coloring, preservatives, binding agents, etc) that may cause trouble re: allergies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Xyloderm

When we go to Mexico (Cozumel) to go scuba diving, we always bring back a couple of tubes of Xyloderm. This stuff is great for just about everything.

You can't buy it in the U.S. because of the combination of drugs in it. It has lidocaine 2.0g, hydrocortisone 1.0 g, clotrimazole 1.0g, neomiacin 0.350 g, and other inert ingredients to bind this together. It works as an anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, an anti-fungal, and a pain reliever.

You might be able to buy it through the web.

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
Curad has just come out with a product called Silver Solution Gel. It contains silver nitrate and some silver chloride and is advertised as "Your barrier against MRSA" right on the box. Which means it'll kill just about everything else. Also says that the application lasts a couple of days.

I got a sample packet and used it on a rash I got during our last heat wave. It cleared up overnight. I wanted to be sure I had enough, so I just put a pin hole in it to get a little out at a time. 6 drops was all it took on the rash, which was about 5' long and 3" wide.

So, I'm buying a couple of tubes. You might want to consider it for your kit.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
My Doctor told me that you should always be careful of using the same antibotic to much, as the problem will become immune to the med's.
Switch to differant meds every so often, I learned that with tryibg to cure sinus infections.

jst my 2 cts

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
dont use any unless needed. dont use anti bacteria soap. stop using the hand sanitizer. most dont work on killing the bad stuff. soap and water is mostly what you need. the over use of these products is creating these superbugs.

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
dont use any unless needed. dont use anti bacteria soap. stop using the hand sanitizer. most dont work on killing the bad stuff. soap and water is mostly what you need. the over use of these products is creating these superbugs.
I agree about the antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers. Bugs build up resistance to them. In most cases washing will just remove the bugs, so the other stuff is unnecessary. But when you have a rash or cut, you need protection. With silver products, the bacteria can't end up resistant because it doesn't work on them in the same manner as the chemicals do.

Silver kills a bug if it comes in contact with it. If there's no contact the bug is unaffected, so no resistant generations follow. Think of it as a gunshot to the head type killer. Hit - dead - No was to reproduce.

·
A bad, bad man
215 Posts
Really any type of bacitracin will do. We use cheap triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin) where I work on most open areas of the skin. But, as it has already been posted, soap and water is the best. Listerine would be a good substitute post SHTF for cuts, abrasions etc. Using topical ABX to treat small cuts on a daily basis really wouldn't do anything to your immunity for other things. But what are you doing on a daily basis that would get you cut? When using all over the body on a daily basis however, it would be blood toxicity that I would be worried about and not your immune system.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Plain ol' Iodine still has its place around me. I of course have the other stuff, and have used it a time or two. But the old fashion stuff still works. Stings like hell! But works. Also has other uses as well.. water purification for one. As well as the whole need trace amounts in your food...Etc. And it's CHEAP! LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts