Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This coming summer, when I'm (hopefully) not broke, I'm going to be getting a .308 rifle. I've narrowed my choices down to one of three particular models:

1. PTR-91
2. FN-FAL
3. Howa 1500

Any advice on which one is the best? I like the PTR-91 the best so far, because I'm a die hard HK91 fan, but I haven't ruled out the FN-FAL or the Howa 1500.

Help me to make up my mind...

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
I like the PTR-91 I have. Magazines are cheap (at the moment) and it is easy to accessorize, if you are so inclinded. If you get one, get a port buffer so you can reload more of the brass.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
1. PTR-91good weapon , BUT , egros suck , sights suck , no last round bolt hold open , its a brass killer . But cheap mags
2. FN-FALThe right arm of the free world . Great egros , gas piston , easy to work on , sights suck , but can be changed out . Cheap mags . Better scope mounts than an HK , dosn't **** where it eats .
3. Howa 1500I'm to lazy for a bolt gun .

FALs my choice ( no early Century's ) .....................

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
If you can wait, Get DSA to make you a FAL from the ground up. This is not putting together parts from a shelf, ALL parts are locally made and custom fitted with no metric/standard issues. A friend of mine just got his and you can really tell the difference. He expects sub-moa for over 50,000 rounds. Sixteen weeks and $1800 w/half up front. You "might" find an M1A over the counter for $1500 but it wont be nearly as good.

My friend has now retired his m1A to the back of the closet.

·
What would McGyver do?
644 Posts
For an mbr I vote fal, be patient and look for a good deal. parts are everywhereand mags haven't gone sky hi in price yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you can wait, Get DSA to make you a FAL from the ground up. This is not putting together parts from a shelf, ALL parts are locally made and custom fitted with no metric/standard issues. A friend of mine just got his and you can really tell the difference. He expects sub-moa for over 50,000 rounds. Sixteen weeks and $1800 w/half up front. You "might" find an M1A over the counter for $1500 but it wont be nearly as good.

My friend has now retired his m1A to the back of the closet.
The DSA FN Fals look geat I have heard good things about them. If I had the money for one I would buy it! If I had some of those FN Fals I would retire my m1a socom maybe as well heh.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Lots of great advice. Kudos to all who have responded.

I'm now leaning toward the FN-FAL. I'd like to build my own, but I don't know if I have the patience for that. :D:

Anybody have any experience with the IMBEL FAL?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
This coming summer, when I'm (hopefully) not broke, I'm going to be getting a .308 rifle. I've narrowed my choices down to one of three particular models:

1. PTR-91
2. FN-FAL
3. Howa 1500

Any advice on which one is the best? I like the PTR-91 the best so far, because I'm a die hard HK91 fan, but I haven't ruled out the FN-FAL or the Howa 1500.

Help me to make up my mind...
ptr-91 its made in my state i know the guys who make it there good.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Lots of great advice. Kudos to all who have responded.

I'm now leaning toward the FN-FAL. I'd like to build my own, but I don't know if I have the patience for that. :D:

Anybody have any experience with the IMBEL FAL
?
Yes. Have several.

Like I said, my 2nd choice after one of my M1A's.

Whatcha asking?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would avoid a bolt action rifle like the plague until after you have a couple MBR's. Preferably a couple of the same make. Like a couple FAL's or a couple HK-91's or a couple M1A's. My reason being bolt actions will be banned long after all semi auto's are banned. Why spend the money on something that isn't likely to be banned, when there are FAR better options available to you today.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes. Have several.

Like I said, my 2nd choice after one of my M1A's.

Whatcha asking?
Atlantic Firearms is selling them for $989. Seems like a pretty good price for an FAL. I'm just wondering how they compare with the more expensive STG-58 offered by DSArms.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts