Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
The 336 is built to modern standards, tighter tolerances, suppose to have better rifle grooves.
That said I prefer my rattling old Win 94:D:, it will do what any 30-30 was designed to do.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Historically it is the Winchester…
That being said I had a few of them and Marlin and even Mossberg… I would have to go the the Winchester… after all it won the west..!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
The one you have with when you need it, just kidding. Both Winchester and Marlin have their fans. I think either one will suit you fine.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've had my Win 94 for years, but I have to say the action on my sons Marlin seems smoother. Though it seems a bit heavier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all your responses. I think I will go with the Marlin, the Winchester ejects from the top. Even though I don't plan on putting a scope on it, it's nice to know I can put one on there.

·
LD Rider
17 Posts
I consider them both equal. The Marlin like one guy said does have a smoother action. Also just in case you did not know a scope can be mounted on the Winchester even though it ejects from the top. I have one on mine and never had a problem. Also as far as the smooth action....the M16 (AR15) has a smoother action than a AK47 but I prefer the loose action of the AK47 because it will fire when filthy with mud or dirt.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
a 1970's + Winchester (Disremember the exact date) has angle eject and you can mount a scope.

I've got both and I prefer the Marlin.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I prefer the Marlin for it's simplicity of operation and design. Believe it or not, you will buy a Marlin either way now. Winchester has stopped production and Marlin has started marketing an improved 94 along with their 336.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I prefer the Marlin for it's simplicity of operation and design. Believe it or not, you will buy a Marlin either way now. Winchester has stopped production and Marlin has started marketing an improved 94 along with their 336.

Ummm... There's enough used winchesters out there for people to be able t oget winchesters.

I bought mine after Winchester shut down...

Paid $174 or $172 (I disrememeber) for it...

·
Infidel/Warmonger/NeoCon
510 Posts
Prefer the Marlin myself. Though I am looking for a 16" .30-30 and the 94 is easier to find than the 336 in that length. Haven't tried a Mossberg yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would say the Marlin. The action is stronger and more solid. This means that you can use some loads in the marlin that would probably cause a hick-up in the Winchester. Also the solid top reciever on the Marlin makes it soooo simple to mount a scope. Also the Marlin is still in production, meaning that parts for it are more readily available.

·
Registered
352 Posts
a little off the subject but the 94 didnt win the west. the west was civilized by its introduction . neither did the 1873 though important by the time it got into the hands of the people out west in any quanity most of the west was tame.what gun did win the west? if you study history it was 6 guns that had the most influence on the taming of the west.#1 the hawkins muzzleloading rifle #2 the model 1863-1868 sharps carbine caliber 50-70 #3 the sharps buffalo rifle model 1874 #4 the model 1873 caliber 45 springfield carbine aka trapdoor #5 model 1865 spencer carbine caliber 56-50 #6 if you must inject a winchester it would be the model 1866 caliber 44 henry rimfire.if you study historical western battle you will confirm the above. not my opion but "just the facts mam"

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I am a Marlin man myself for the weapon can take numerious mounting systems to acomadate differant types of optics and iron sight mounts. It's design has fewer intricate parts and is super simple to tear down to component level.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
630 Posts
i'll stick with my win94 because i don't think that they make a marlin that ejects to the left.(i shoot left handed)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts