Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What .22 will work. I had a Sig Misquito AND IT WAS JUNK. It jammed 4 shots out of every mag. Changed springs, tried diff ammo... Nothing worked. I am looking for a rifle. AN M4 Style would be nice. Not sure if they are a joke or not. I like the 10.22 but not sure what distance it will shoot similarly to an AR or AK at. Any ideas. Can I master iron sites at 100 yards with a .22 rifle?

How many rounds will a 10.22 or AR style rifle be good for before it needs work?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have been considering this as well. I am leaning towards either the Sig 522 or the S&W AR style. Both around the same price, but the Sig will require you to buy some type of sight system for another $100 or so. The S&W is all there. I like the features on the Sig, and it looks cooler.

It's hard to say about the durability of these .22s. They haven't been out long enough to get any long term feedback from anyone, some research may find something though. I think 100 yards is about the limit of these rifles, I had planned on using it for 50 and under, like I do with my big boy assault rifles. It would just be something to supplement my range time with a cheaper caliber while still practicing. I get a kick out of people that are arming themselves with 10/22s as their MBR.............wake up, it's not gonna cut it.

I have had a couple 10/22s and they are good but they definetly wear out after a bit of use. Easy to rebuild though.

You could check out the GSG .22s also, maybe the carbine one?

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
.. I like the 10.22 but not sure what distance it will shoot similarly to an AR or AK at. Any ideas. Can I master iron sites at 100 yards with a .22 rifle?...
You can hit a torso at 100 yards fairly easily with standard iron sights with a 10/22.
Although if you zero the sights for 50 yards, you'll have to learn to hold about 5-6 inches high, depending on cartridge. This with ANY .22lr gun.

Beyond 120 yards, a .22lr REALLY drops.

A .22LR traveling at around 1250 fps at muzzle and a .223 at 3,000 and up aren't even in the same ballpark as to trajectory and lethality at 100 yards or more.

10/22 durability?
Flinklock's comments notwithstanding, there are folks who have shot 50,000 rounds, maybe even 100,000 through them, with original parts. Extractor might give up, spring might wear out. Put a $10 Volquarsen extractor in it, probably will never wear out. Pretty hard to "shoot out" a 10/22 barrel.

I don't even clean mine but every 3 or 4 thousand. Maybe.

- OS

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You can zer oa rifle to anywhere you want. For training, best to work at 50 yards. The 22lr that trians best can vary. There is much more to training than aiming the rifle. Quickly shouldering the gun and having it roughly aimed. Functioning the rifle, magazine changes, safeties and so on. Sight picture. Getting you hand inline with your eyes. You body will naturally move the rifle until the same thing is seen.

AR is better for 22lr practice. I use 7.62x39. I use this caliber to do quality practice with. With the usually trigger control, breathing, and other things you need to be an accurate shot is what I use a 22lr for. Or just having fun.

Whatever you get, make sure you can get close to the same type of sight for it as your main calibered rifle.

I prefer bolt action 22lr rifles. Usually a bit more more accurate, less noise, and handles subsonics well. Subsonic bullets will be the most accurate. A good bolt gun will produce 1" groups at 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i use a 22.lr upper on a m4 style carbine unit to get the basic training drills with diff magazine changes along with the diff prostion for the magazine changes ..

i been useing a walther air rifle for praticeing indoors and outdoors shooting ..

·
Registered
450 Posts
FloridaState:
100 yards is the limit of what I call comfortable range with a .22 LR.
I am not sure what you mean by combat training at 100 years. There are some fine .22 bolt action rifles such as the CZ 452 series that with their iron signts can hit a small saucer sized target repeatedly if the shooter is good. Those rifles can be shot for years and years and show little wear.
If what you are saying is you want a .22 to stand in for your main battle rifle for less expensive practive, the firearm needs to be as close to the MBR as possible in action design and functionality and sight system.
To me rifle combat training is a move and shoot situation and is usually practiced at much closer range than 100 yards most of the time.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
I mean no offense here, but you are way better off training with the exact rifle and ammunition you expect to be using. I understand the .22 ammo is the cheapest stuff out there, and it is training, which is better than nothing.

But, look at it like this. You wouldn't train to drive formula 1 race cars by driving a beetle would you? How much good would training on that beetle do you once your behind the wheel of the race car? Some, but not much.

Unless you can get an exact replica of whatever gun you plan on carrying in .22, your not going to be training yourself to be the best you can be with something else. A big part of getting good with a weapon comes from being intimately familiar with that weapon. So good you can operate that gun with your eyes closed. From mag swaps to field strips.

I totally understand the affordabality aspect to firearms training. If you simply can not afford to train with what you plan on carrying, by all means do what you can. I would however look into ways you can afford the ammo, if that is the concern. Maybe reload?

Without knowing what you are training for gun wise, I can't give you an opinion on which .22 you should pick.

As far as reliability and durability goes, the Ruger 10/22 gets my vote. The Marlin model 60 is also a great .22, but its got a tube magazine instead of a detachable box mag.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I like the 10.22 but not sure what distance it will shoot similarly to an AR or AK at. Any ideas. Can I master iron sites at 100 yards with a .22 rifle?

How many rounds will a 10.22 or AR style rifle be good for before it needs work?
You gotta figure that a .22 is a 100 yard round. Sure you can shoot farther with it, and I encourage everyone to master that. But for general purposes, it begins to drop a LOT after 100. Most any good .22 is a great marksmanship trainer and a great way to master iron sights, if it has good sights.

The 10/22 is one of the most durable out there. Plus it's so common and has such aftermarket support that parts are easy to find. They'll last pretty much forever, with the occasional replacement spring, etc. Keep a few spares and you're good for a long time. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my .22s without problems.

It's almost impossible to shoot out a .22 barrel. A lot of folks think they've shot one out, when all they really did was foul it badly. A thorough cleaning and it's shooting like new again. Gunsmiths make a big part of their living by "restoring" fouled barrels (I.E. cleaning them). That said, I rarely clean a .22 barrel. I usually just pull an oiled patch through it to prevent rust and when I do clean it, I NEVER use a brush. Rimfire rifling is pretty delicate.

The S&W is all there. I like the features on the Sig, and it looks cooler.
Looks cooler? LOL...looks cooler!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've known three friends that have the S&W 15-22. Two had rounds fire before the bolt was all the way into battery, and one other went full auto and broke the feed ramp off.
S&W did all the repair work for nothing but there was still all the hassel of contacting them , shipping, and waiting.
I'm a real S&W kinda guy so it hurts to type this, but it's something you need to take into account if you're thinking about one.
I think S&W just rushed a little getting the gun into production.

Ric

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I saw something somewhere, where spec opps used 10/22s to lay down huge ammounts of fire from just a few guys to keep a group of badguys busy while the other did some sabatoge. Provided shot placment was good its a bullet hose on target. Check out the american 180

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Check out the american 180
I used to have one of those a few years back. It was amazingly reliable. More so than most semi autos. It was fun the first few times I took it out shooting. It came with a 177 round magazine and I bought a 275 round magazine later on.

I got bored with it and sold it when the prices went up so drastically. I basically got 10 times what I paid for it and I wasn't using it anyway.

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
I can consistantly hit a human head sized target out @ 200 yards with my .22. An egg @ 100 all day. Keep it under 100 though in a combat situation. Buy a larger caliber for longer distances and if i were you, i wouldn't only have a .22 if you were wanting to prepare for a serious combat situation

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can consistantly hit a human head sized target out @ 200 yards with my .22. An egg @ 100 all day. Keep it under 100 though in a combat situation. Buy a larger caliber for longer distances and if i were you, i wouldn't only have a .22 if you were wanting to prepare for a serious combat situation
What kind of .22 rifle are you using?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.