Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fhts, economic collapse, virus outbreak, or any myriad of disasters happens?

why i ask is because i was watching a video and started thinking; if ppl dont show up for work for utilities such as power, then nuclear power plants will fail and very possibly meltdown, meaning radiation and who knows what else.

it also means that sewage plants will overflow or release into waterways and water sources. and also water treatment plants as well. any chemicals that are in them or that will continue to go to the place because it has nowhere else to go will build up and further contaminate any water it touches.

then you have to consider how many ppl will be there and how much of a threat they could be. will most of the ppl there die/kill each other off quickly and leave you to a bunch of supplies? or will it be long and drawn out?

also, what about game or animals in the area? will they be contaminated with the chemicals/diseases caused by contaminated waterways? and if not are they plentiful in the area?

considering all that, im thinking about relocating somewhere where theres no nuclear power plants, hardly any ppl and plenty of game to hunt. it can be cold or hot

does anybody know of a place? it can be another state or country.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I don't take things to a really horrible extreme because there are back-up systems in place to do things like shut down the nuclear power plants before they meltdown. It is not uncommon for sewage plants to overflow even now. When they do overflow, nature steps up and the overflow becomes put to use. Between nature and mankind, most potential problems end up not being as bad as we think. Where a serious problem might develop is if or when wild animals begin to repopulate and their numbers greatly expand. That is the time when diseases could become rampant and effect them and us. To give you an example:

Imagine if there was a boom in the deer population. With an increase in the number of deer there comes an increase in the number of sick animals. Then a disease may mutate in form to become very deadly and a fast transfer item. Then it jumps from deer to cattle to horses and so on. Suddenly, nearly all of our beef supplies are contaminated and unfit for consumption. So that is what I see happening in some cases. But, until the population of deer jump in numbers, we probably won't have to worry about that. Thin herds of deer, like we sort of now have, are not presently a danger to the human population.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't take things to a really horrible extreme because there are back-up systems in place to do things like shut down the nuclear power plants before they meltdown. It is not uncommon for sewage plants to overflow even now. When they do overflow, nature steps up and the overflow becomes put to use. Between nature and mankind, most potential problems end up not being as bad as we think. Where a serious problem might develop is if or when wild animals begin to repopulate and their numbers greatly expand. That is the time when diseases could become rampant and effect them and us. To give you an example:

Imagine if there was a boom in the deer population. With an increase in the number of deer there comes an increase in the number of sick animals. Then a disease may mutate in form to become very deadly and a fast transfer item. Then it jumps from deer to cattle to horses and so on. Suddenly, nearly all of our beef supplies are contaminated and unfit for consumption. So that is what I see happening in some cases. But, until the population of deer jump in numbers, we probably won't have to worry about that. Thin herds of deer, like we sort of now have, are not presently a danger to the human population.
i figure therell be too many ppl hunting them for overpopulation. good point about th backups and nature though. makes me feel a little better:D:

i think there will be so many ppl hunting, that small to medium game will seemingly disappear. especially around cities. id go as far as to say the surrounding counties of a city will be almost "hunted out" in the first couple months, which is bad news for the ms coast >_<!!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
I don't take things to a really horrible extreme because there are back-up systems in place to do things like shut down the nuclear power plants before they meltdown.
I used to not worry too much about the reactors melting down either. But the Japanese disaster made me realize that the big threat is not the reactor itself, but the spent fuel rods. Those need a constant supply of water or they can melt down. This is especially troubling because of the amount of fuel there is, and that it would be sending pure vaporized radioactive materials into the air for who knows how long. Far more of it than if the reactor itself melted down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts