Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Join Us.
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised when I went searching for a thread covering weapon selection. Didn't really find what I was looking for, which is a first here. So I figured I'd pose the question myself:

For your weapon(s) of choice, what is your preference?

Before I get too in to this, I want to mention that I firmly believe that in a STHF scenario where 'fighting the agents of the government' is 1.) not likely, and 2.) unsurvivable. Perhaps I am wrong, and wouldn't mind hearing from you what you think about it.

Okay, so back to my question:

AR type for room clearing capabilities vs. hunting rifle for accuracy over long distance?

High caliber for KE (stopping power) and first shot lethality vs. 5.56 for ammo capacity/so you can pick the mags off the dead?

Shotgun vs. rifle depending on your AO's average engage distance?

The role of a sidearm? .45 stopping power vs. .40/9mm capacity?

One shotgun, one rifle, one handgun?

A bunch of rifles?

Please note whether you would bug in/out as that will most likely determine your answers...

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
"Fighting the agents of the government." is 1.) absolutely idiotic to consider at this time given that 90% of the populace (inc. myself) would support the government, and 2.) survivable, but only if part of a general nationwide uprising.

The world is rife with examples of fighting the agents of the government and surviving. Our founders did exactly that. They succeeded because a majority of the local population was at least sympathetic, we enlisted the aid of the world's other great superpower at the time and G. Washington understood that all he needed to do was survive long enough to make it not worth Britain's time to keep fighting. (Hmmmm. Sounds like what happened to US in Vietnam.)

Unless you have all three elements, don't bother.

·
Por la gloria!
539 Posts
What is means to be a Patriot

I highly recommend you read the book, Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles.

You must also ask this question to yourself. Would you rather be a slave and alive:whip:; or would you rather die in the name of freedom and liberty?

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, "Peace! Peace!" -- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

·
Join Us.
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Fighting the agents of the government." is 1.) absolutely idiotic to consider at this time given that 90% of the populace (inc. myself) would support the government, and 2.) survivable, but only if part of a general nationwide uprising.

The world is rife with examples of fighting the agents of the government and surviving. Our founders did exactly that. They succeeded because a majority of the local population was at least sympathetic, we enlisted the aid of the world's other great superpower at the time and G. Washington understood that all he needed to do was survive long enough to make it not worth Britain's time to keep fighting. (Hmmmm. Sounds like what happened to US in Vietnam.)

Unless you have all three elements, don't bother.
That was also before M1 Abrams and dillon miniguns mounted on blackhawks...Not to mention Apache's and the various other avian predators.

I also specifically said that it is unlikely. I am asking about what weapon(s) people have in their BOL/Bunker...but your overall point is definitely accepted.

This the first time I've seen the Viet Nam War used accurately as a simile, but it also raises a counter argument: The difference is that the government and the people it's fighting will be on the same ground, meaning it's a fight for utter survival - there is no "not worth your time" element.

That said; I agree with your statement. I also could not abandon ship at this point, we are still the greatest nation on God's green earth. I am not willing to let what we have be burned at the stake over someone as accidental as Shaikh Hussein. That revolution will be fought with votes and money...

It is purely a curiosity based question...and I do appreciate all the input!! :thumb:

·
Join Us.
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but...

Erm...that would be the Firearms threads...there are many in the Firearms section.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

And if you have a look around in there, you'll see many of your questions answered. Hth
Not what I'm looking for, unless I'm just not good enough at navigating the forums yet...

My question was posed from the perspective of; in this (fantasy-like) SHTF scenario, what would you keep clean and loaded?

A ridiculous situation, but interesting to explore...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
What Training and equipment do you have to think you can fight government agents?,they are fine tuned and ready on a daily basis, in an city scenario , you have no chance against a swat team, your chance is to go guerrilla and go to the most remote places and play it low and survive the best you can.

Only in an organize Militia type situation can one confront the establishment if the armed forces join your cause, for now let us hope we remain a democracy in 2012, our hope to change anything is the power of Voting.
As far as a versatile weapon I will venture to say a .223 caliber rifle such as the Saiga would be my choice , even above an AR a Saiga rifle can be dragged around , thrown, run over with a jeep and it will still fire, using hollow points you can hunt with it deer,turkey, using steel core bullets you can shoot through steel doors , cars , vehicles etc. You can also shoot incendiary and explosive tips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say: 1 shot gun, 3 Rifles, and 2 Pistols

A 12 gauge shot gun with slugs, 00 buck, and various small game loads
A hunting rifle 30 cal
A 22LR rifle
An AR type
A 40 cal pistol
A 22 Cal pistol

I choose all of these because you might need to defend yourself or others and you might need to hunt for food.

The role of the rifle is offensive and the role of the pistol is defensive. That does not mean you cannot use a pistol for offense or rifle for defense.
As for calibers, shot placement is more important than number of round fired. The better of a shot you are the lower your caliber can be, the worse of a shot you are you would need a bigger caliber and more practice.

Remember if there was a “best weapon” there would only be one, each has strong and weak points. If I only could pick one I would go with an AR; good vs people, over powered for small game, and under powered for big game. OR I would pick a 12 gauge shot gun with various ammo; good vs people, small game, and big game; but short range.

As for “'fighting the agents of the government'” both sides lose. A vote is stronger than any weapon.

Hope this helped

1 - 8 of 8 Posts