Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to pick a region of the world, where would be the best for survival?

Being from NW Florida, I am tempted to pick there but, I think one of the Hawaiian Islands would be best. Fresh water, large 4 legged critters, and by salt water for fishing. I am just curious as to where others would prefer to live off the land.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Anywhere close to a river, creek or large stream (fishing) that had some tillable land fairly close (flood plain maybe?) where I could raise crops and graze animals. I would ideally find a place (confluence) where a smaller tributary fed into the larger body of water. This would allow for (most likely) a cleaner water supply from the smaller body and possibly a way to harness water power from the drop approaching the stream.

If I could choose any place and had access to supplies of today or what could be scavenged, I would try to locate near a waterfall of significant height (25+ ft) with significant flow (less needed for higher waterfalls). This way I could harness the water and use this to do a lot of work like running a bandsaw to cut firewood or especially generating electricity from an alternator or 10.

I'd also want a place that had some decent trees nearby and would plant crop trees ASAP once building my home and then have them to harvest in the future!

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
If you had to pick a region of the world, where would be the best for survival?

Being from NW Florida, I am tempted to pick there but, I think one of the Hawaiian Islands would be best. Fresh water, large 4 legged critters, and by salt water for fishing. I am just curious as to where others would prefer to live off the land.
And a site for a tsunami that will wipe those islands off the face of the earth. Personally, I sort of like the idea of Alaska. BUT, where I am right now is pretty good too. Carpathian Basin in Transylvania, East Europe. No tsunamis, no fault lines, no chem trails, any pollution comes from a Loooong ways away. Clean water and lots of it, and the neighbours all have small farms just like ours.

·
knowledge is power
168 Posts
I think that north Alabama is a little piece of heaven with everything a person with our mindset could want, EXCEPT:- that dadgum nuclear power plant at browns ferry! If I won the lotto I would build the legendary SB bunker, big enoughfor our 55000+ members,and after we rode out the storm, we would run the f******n show!! Sometimes im a dreamer......... oh well

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
SE mainland Australia. Not right on the coast, but close enough to walk in a day or two. Close to a river, but not low enough that flooding is a problem. Wait, that sounds like my BOL.

·
1,100 Posts
It would depend on the nature of the disaster. Obviously no where near the possibility of nuclear fallout. If I woke up tomorrow and there were a lot less people and those people happened to be really violent, I would pick the Southern Appalachians. I've hiked all over the mountains there...Ga, SC, NC, TN, VA, I lived there for ten years and know where quite a few caves are off the beaten path.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
if we're talking pandamonium in the streets and disease and starvation are rampant. then i'd go with the big horn basin in wyo. i lived there for a few yrs and i can tell you noone is gonna walk from outside the state and end up at your door. the basin gets its name cause it is surrounded by the teton and big horn mountains. it is very dry where i lived but about 20 miles closer to the mountain had decent rainfall. there were alot of gas and oil wells around too. some people had there generators hooked up to a gas well that provided all the electric to the ranch including large center pivot irrigation. cattle out number humans 6 to 1, deer are everywhere, antelope, elk, rabbit, grause (sp?), pheasant, catfish in the river and trout in the streams. and like i said noone is just gonna show up from outside that place. but it was about 80 miles from yellowstone so if your talking caldera erruption then not so much. lol

·
Registered
783 Posts
SE mainland Australia. Not right on the coast, but close enough to walk in a day or two. Close to a river, but not low enough that flooding is a problem. Wait, that sounds like my BOL.
Don't you mean SW Australia.......Perth 1672 miles from the nearest city of comparable size ( 1.5+ million people) But inland from the coast. Not saying which town because that's where I am going to live !

SE Australia....Melbourne, Sydney Canberra and Adelaide within striking distance of walking crowds.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Of course a person should choose an area that has water, firewood, game, etc.
That being said and well-covered already, a person should be in an area where they feel most comfortable, being in.
I would go to an isolated, well-watered, thickly forested area in central Nevada, that I know well. The only time I have seen anyone around there, was in hunting season. Otherwise you have the elk, deer, wild horses, antelope, porcupines, bobcats, mountain lions, and the fantastic wilderness to yourself.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Hawaii, of course!

Tsunami? Well they do happen, but pick the highest one ever and add a hundred feet and still most of the land in Hawaii is above it.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
from what i understand...

from what i understand, British Columbia would be a great place. near the sea, but high enough to avoid tsunamis, near a fresh water river. plenty of trees, plenty of game. decent coastal climate.

if you're talking CONUS, i would opt for yellowstone after the SHTF. plenty of game, geothermal heat, untouched lumber/firewood resourses. all you need is a big bore rifle for griz and taking buffalo and elk. the fishing would be pretty good too. all you gotta do is hope to heck the caldera doesnt decide to go bang up there.

---------- Eric

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would want to be about 50 miles from salt water fishing,real close to fresh water fishing,mild winters,long growing season and elavation above 150 to 200 feet above sea leavel.Oh wait I just described N.W. Florida.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts