Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Covert
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a scenario I have been thinking a lot about lately. I live in West Texas and there is little of anything other than flat land with sparse sagebrush around the area. No BOL to go to at this point. If we get to the point where we can no longer stay put and have to leave there is no nearby cover (forest, mountains, or otherwise). I know I am not the only person in this situation. What would you do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in east PA, so its a hilly mix of fields and small woodlands. I am waiting for the day the **** hits the fan around here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the idea of moutains i dont know why.I guess if you are up on top of a moutain you could have a good view. But if you need a good bol look for a stream and find you a nice spot that way you will always have water.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
When I lived in Anchorage, I'd just go in any direction and live up in some mountains. Here in Okinawa, there's really no where to go the island is only 60 miles long and 16 miles wide at the widest point.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Do you live on acreage? If so, rent a back hoe for a week or so and start digging 10' deep trenches that spider out from a central area. After that, you can work slowly to create a tunnel system. Reinforce and cover the trenches to create a tunnel system. You can go simple or elaborate. In the central area, bury one or more shipping containers (for your main living and storage) and cover them with a moisture barrier and earth. Create various ventilation shafts and entry and exit points. Be sure to make the earth look as original as possible and use natural vegetation and colors to conceal openings and ventilation.

If you live in an urban area, you will probably need to go north to the rockies in New Mexico if the SHTF.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge in the region you are writing about.

This is what I did, I found a number of streams and rivers and followed tem for a couple of miles checking out the fish in the river, the land nearby, I want to be at a high point because of the streams and rivers flooding and also it has to be quite secluded to start off if the SHTF, as time goes on and we start to trust each other again, maybe things will be different.

Ckeckout the area, ask some fishermen where do they go fishing, there is bound to be some land there somewhere.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
What SMM123 wrote has some sound qualities. You might want to use gutter piping if you can pick it up cheap.

Also, buring a couple of 500 gallon watter tanks one for water and the other for suppies, you could be set up pritty good for quite awhile.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
You might want to use gutter piping if you can pick it up cheap.
Gutter piping is actually what I would use in the trenches. The big, plastic stuff with a 4' to 6' diameter so you could move through it quickly.

You can also use treated ply on the side walls and notch every foot for 2"x8" boards with ply on top, then earth over the top.

If you have the desire, you can also reinforce the walls with adobe - sifted dirt, hay, and water. It hardens like concrete and you can set some boards across the top before it hardens to reinforce the roof.

You can also use old tires filled with dirt and stacked to make the walls as well. Very time consuming, but probably the best option as it is almost free and is insulating. This would be my second choice.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
you live in west Texas? i would go north to new mexico mountains or south (?) to the big bend area the rio grande runs through the area and you could hide in there pretty well. of course you could go to the Texas hill country lots of rivers and woods and good hiding places. plus no large predators (bears or moose) to worry about, just feral hogs and the occasional mountain lion.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
WTXD- We're already here on our 2 acre's in southcentral Alaska. Farming isn't a big option here so alot of property does'nt matter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
how bout near military installations?....not that am saying it will be the best but if we had an invation the installations/bases will be one of the best areas to be at....also to be considered are old brick buildings to where people will or might actually forsee....but i might be wrong though.....

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
When I was with Special Forces many years ago, we determined that if you wanted to survive in a woodlands area you should probably go to the northwestern states like Oregon, Washington state and Idaho. These states are less developed than most of the other states and have good natural resources off of which one can live.

Another good place to go for survival purposes would be the Appalachia area. Again, trees and such would work to protect you.

Southern swamps are also a good place to go hide and live.

What we determined about these areas was the abundance of food, fresh water and natural terrain would be good for our operations.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
If you know the area and how to survive in it, you are in a place that not a lot of people are going to think of to live off of. may have a lot of it to yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts