Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it was possible to get your gear together and go out for a one week survival trip right now. Where would you go to and why there?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Maui.

Great weather, great fishing, isolated, lots of water, lots of wild edibles and local girls with coconut tops and grass skirts! :thumb:;):D:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Idaho. Great hunting, fresh water, wood to burn, overall good place to survive. Cold right now, but good.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I would go to the Green Mountain National Forest, in Vermont. Why? Because it's relatively close by (less than 1 hour drive), I've already got the maps, the winter gear, and because even though I'm in a small state, there are some pretty remote spots in that forest. The main deer hunting (rifle) season is over, so there should be fewer people walking through the woods than there were for the last few weeks. Many areas in our state also don't allow ATVs, which also helps regarding having fewer folks to cross paths with (I pretty much always assume that for a short-term bug out, the fewer other folks around you, the better).

I do have a small "camp" within about 30 miles of where I live, but it's not so remote that I'd call it wilderness.

HippieSurvivalist

·
free man
626 Posts
Instead of base camping(which usually turns into "car camping"), why not just hike a 50-60-70 mile(depending on topo and fitness) section on some wilderness trail system? You'll soon settle into managing the 3 basics..food, water, shelter, as you hike all day otherwise. Long self sustained hikes goes along way for building skills, confidence, fitness, etc. Especially if your solo(best way to go since you can hike your own pace..stop/go when you want..camp where you want). also will show if your gear will work the way you want it too(bag, pack, shelter, stove, boots, socks, layers, etc etc). Rarely does ones first choices in such work as hoped when the miles hit the boots.

Here in the SE for instance, theres endless backcountry trail systems like the Appalachian trail, Foothills trail, Bartram trail, Benten Mckaye trail, etc., all about a 2hr drive from say Atlanta. Or, some other close by wilderness area will do awesome, like the Cohutta/Big Frog wilderness area in N Ga(when combined, its the largest wilderness area west of the Miss river). Shining Rock/MiddleProng/Slick Rock/Snowbird/Joyce Kilmer Wilderness areas, just here nearby in WNC. I've done 95% of the trails in all the these wilderness areas and one can spend weeks/months there hiking some awesome loops. Longest was 2 weeks out on the AT(113 mile secton) a couple yrs back while solo. It'll get you in better shape along the way for bonus points.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Out my front door, and west into the wilds, I think I could make it to the ocean in seven or eight days.

There are a bunch of reasons for this. If I'm going to encounter a survival situation, there is a 99% chance I'll be here when it happens. This will provide me a chance to better learn my AO, finding resources such a edible plants, springs and streams, and also creating waypoints; places to stop with at least minor amenities.

I don't think leaving my area for a survival week would do me much good. Better to learn your local landscape and resources.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Maui.

Great weather, great fishing, isolated, lots of water, lots of wild edibles and local girls with coconut tops and grass skirts! :thumb:;):D:
Ah yes that would be tits alright! Besides there I would like to go south only because it is more habitable especially during the winter months. Give me a desert island and a good companion and I will live out the rest of my days!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Out my door and down into the river bottoms. We have wolves and bear that move though the river bottoms and are never seen. I'm figuring if a bear can move through there and still be invisible, so can I. I'm a bit smaller than a bear.:)

BLT

·
Banned
647 Posts
Yes, I would stay here, even after 40+ years, there's still more to take in. However, I would like to go to Alaska, it has been a dream of mine to visit since I was a kid.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I have a variety of areas. Northern Georgia would be on the top of my list because it is way south, and would have the shortest winter to survive. But then Costa Rica would not even have winter, and has year round edible vegetation, and rich hunting to enjoy. If you have to be homeless due to SHTF, that is the best place. You could literally hike into the remote regions with a knife and a small hammock (to sleep off the ground due to bugs) and not ever need much else if you have good foraging skills.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Afrika. Because if you can survive a week backpacking Afrika you can do anything. And because it's a dream of mine to cross the Sahara by foot and camal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If i was going right now, I'd pick somewhere with a warm climate. In fact, I'll be going to Big Bend National Park here in Texas in a couple of weeks. Haven't been there yet, have wanted to go since moving down here a few years ago. However, if this was the middle of summer, I would choose to go back to Alaska.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
The local swamps. Lots of creeks to trap, a river to fish, bottoms and ravines to hunt. You could pull way back, get in by canoe and not see anybody even though you would be close to civilization.

BTW, backpacking the Sahara would be so COOL! :thumb:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hear only the fittest can survive a true Irish pub crawl, I'd like to take my chances. :D:

What? No takers on an exciting week of pure unadulterated winter bliss in the Montana Badlands? :whip:

·
Registered
5 Posts
northern wisconsin. I do it all the time! tons of woods, lakes and rivers. rabbits, deer, grouse, fish, turkeys, berries, nuts, everything a person would need. Some darn cold winters though, gotta research food preservation methods.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
there is a trail the length of the rockies that i always wanted ta hike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts