Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a large , heavy gun safe that is bolted to the floor. We are going to sell our house in a few months and move to another State. We have not figured out what to do about the safe.

We might not have a place to live for a while ( and stay in a motel, campground, or just camp on our property while the house is being built).

So our problems:

where can we store the safe/guns while in transition?

You are not allowed to store anything like that in a public storage unit, plus I don't want to. Anyone could break in and steel the entire thing. The rifles are too large to put in a safe deposit box.

Next problem: we bolted the safe into the floor ( concrete) and are having a hard time getting the very large screws back out. Any suggestions? I would hate to leave it behind, it cost a small fortune

Next problem: how do we hide it while showing the house, or should we not worry about it? I worry someone will see it and try to break in the house and come equipped with tools to break into it somehow

Next problem: best way to move this thing if you don't have 5 strong large guys to lift it?

Thanks

·
Sic semper tyrannis.
8,437 Posts
You are not allowed to store anything like that in a public storage unit, plus I don't want to. Anyone could break in and steel the entire thing. The rifles are too large to put in a safe deposit box.
There must be some independently owned storage facilities in your new area that don't have restrictions on firearms. When I moved to my current location, I priced out and looked at rental agreements of several facilities and none had restrictions on firearm storage.

Next problem: we bolted the safe into the floor ( concrete) and are having a hard time getting the very large screws back out. Any suggestions? I would hate to leave it behind, it cost a small fortune
How is the safe attached to the concrete floor? With lag bolts and anchors? What type of tool are you using to turn the bolts?

Next problem: how do we hide it while showing the house, or should we not worry about it? I worry someone will see it and try to break in the house and come equipped with tools to break into it somehow
If you're concerned about temporary visual security, crate it on 5 sides with 1x3s and CDX or OSB. Worst case cover it in moving blankets and tight wrap.

Next problem: best way to move this thing if you don't have 5 strong large guys to lift it?
Is it located on the ground floor? Is the safe larger than a refrigerator? You can rent a large appliance dolly that may do the job. As well if you are renting a box moving truck on your own, get one with a hydraulic lift gate.

Alternatively for storage and moving of all of your belongings, since you are not land locked you may be able to rent (or even purchase) a 20' or 40' sea shipping container, have it delivered empty, fill it up yourself with all your belongings and have the company move it to a secured storage site. Then when your new property is ready have it moved there, or if you plan on camping at the new property have it delivered where you can keep an eye on it yourself.

2,590 Posts
I think what you put in the storage unit is your business.
You will need to rent a lift gate truck to load and unload the safe. If you are really worried about someone seeing the safe going into the storage unit go to an appliance store and get a free refrigerator box the correct size and who would know?
You might need a large appliance dolly too. I bought one years ago from a vending machine company. Its rated for 1,200 lb but I have used it to move a 1,600 lb safe.
It sure wasn't fun. 2 of us picked it up from the seller's house and 4 of us put it in my friend's gun shop. We had to lay it down and slide it into the building because it was too tall for the door because of the way it had to come up the steps. Had it not been for laying it down 2 of us would have put the safe in place.
Another option is to sell the safe with the house and buy another one when your house is built. I bought a 1,250 lb Fort Knox safe on Craig's list for $800. and used the same dolly and my pickup truck to go get it. I had a lock smith service the lock and change the combination. Other than some custom scratches... the safe is as good as new to me.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,564 Posts
I just completed moving from Ca to Ok. I moved my house hold goods, my 5th wheel camper, machine shop tools, firearms, ammo, books, livestock, a tractor, and 2,000 lbs of food storage.

My first step was to install a gooseneck hitch in my one ton pickup and then I bought a used 30 ft (6 horse) gooseneck trailer.

I made three trips with the 5th wheel, goods, tools, and the tractor.

Then I unbolted my gun safe from the garage and mounted it in the horse trailer.

Our last trip was two pickups, each towing a trailer, with the guns, dogs, livestock, and the last of the household goods.

Even though I rented a storage unit for my food, machine tools, books, and most of the clothing and kitchen stuff, my guns were never left in storage.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with selling the safe with the house (have the safe open and empty) and replace later when house is built. Pawn shops will take any gun and the storage is the cost of the interest (do not pawn unregistered guns) you will have to fill out registration forms for the guns when you take them out of pawn in most states. Pawn on several tickets so one or more can be paid out for hunting or other needs. When building new house check out in floor safes, if they don't see them they don't steal them and they are a lot more fire resistant.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even though I rented a storage unit for my food, machine tools, books, and most of the clothing and kitchen stuff, my guns were never left in storage.
I am not sure I understand this. Did you already have a house to move the stuff too? We don't have a place yet. We are going to wait to sell our house here before spending money on one there, so we know exactly how much money we have
We might rent a place, not sure yet

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alternatively for storage and moving of all of your belongings, since you are not land locked you may be able to rent (or even purchase) a 20' or 40' sea shipping container, have it delivered empty, fill it up yourself with all your belongings and have the company move it to a secured storage site. Then when your new property is ready have it moved there, or if you plan on camping at the new property have it delivered where you can keep an eye on it yourself.

I LIKE that idea! :thumb: I want one of those anyway for storage on our property

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,564 Posts
I am not sure I understand this. Did you already have a house to move the stuff too? We don't have a place yet. We are going to wait to sell our house here before spending money on one there, so we know exactly how much money we have
We might rent a place, not sure yet
I already owned the land in Ok, but I started this with no house or buildings there.

So I built a post frame building (pole barn) and later purchased a 20 ft Conex storage container.

The self storage unit held my goods for the several months it took to remodel the old house for sale and get everything moved. Then I moved my stuff from the self storage unit to the 20 ft Conex.

We are spending the winter in the 5th wheel camper and the pole barn, but now that we have the old house sold, I am starting the house this spring.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.