Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to traveling down to Newark over the next few months on business and I wanted to find a range where I can rent and shoot to stay in practice. I found a place called 'Guns for Hire' in Little Falls, which I can get to easily on the train, but their web site has some weird restrictions on who can shoot:

http://gunforhire.com/who-can-shoot/

Who Can Shoot?

Adult Male Shooters

If you come with a friend, you and your friend do NOT need a firearms ID card just a valid drivers license or passport.
If you come alone you need to bring a state issued firearms ID card.

Adult Female Shooters

You can rent firearms alone and do not need a firearms ID card. Just a drivers license or valid photo ID.

Since I'm traveling alone I either need to cross-dress or hire some homeless guy to come with me as my 'friend' if I don't want to get a NJ FID card. Is this normal for rental ranges in NJ?

·
Registered
918 Posts
They are tough with laws. As well as basic fire arms training etc. I know a liitle but not enough to help. I will share this with hubby maybe he knows something.. u should post in main too i dont know if the thread. Goes to main, maybe someone knows. Goodness where is nj peeps at....

·
Survivalist in training
39 Posts
Well considering how hard it is and stuff to get an NJ FID permit, the fact that this place says that one does not need an a fire arms permit is both surprising and not surprising to me. My guess is these wierd restrictions are based on gun law loop holes to cover their arses if something goes south or they are questioned by authorities.

·
statists' be statin'
3,338 Posts
I'm sure the restrictions are to prevent suicides. We've had a few at gun ranges in the last few years.

Women commit suicide non-violently. Men shoot themselves. Nobody brings a friend to their suicide. An FID card means you've been background checked including a mental health record search - less chance that you're suicidal.

It's not hard to get an FID card. It costs about $70, requires fingerprinting and some paperwork. As an out-of-stater you'd have to go though the nearest NJ State Police Station. Some take 45 days to issue. Some take 6 months.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm going to traveling down to Newark over the next few months on business and I wanted to find a range where I can rent and shoot to stay in practice. I found a place called 'Guns for Hire' in Little Falls, which I can get to easily on the train, but their web site has some weird restrictions on who can shoot:

Who Can Shoot?

Adult Male Shooters

If you come with a friend, you and your friend do NOT need a firearms ID card just a valid drivers license or passport.

Adult Female Shooters

You can rent firearms alone and do not need a firearms ID card. Just a drivers license or valid photo ID.

Since I'm traveling alone I either need to cross-dress or hire some homeless guy to come with me as my 'friend' if I don't want to get a NJ FID card. Is this normal for rental ranges in NJ?
Heritage. It's in Rahway nj , very close to Newark.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Heritage Guild only has a firearms range at their Easton PA location. Rahway is just a gunshop. Branchburg location is firearms and archery store with an archery range.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,440 Posts
There are probably places in PA, but maybe too far?

When I lived in NJ, I did all my shopping in the Bucks county Langhorn and Franklin Mills area. Must be a few gun ranges around there.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't think Easton PA is any further from Newark than any other gun range in NJ that rents. I am 15 minutes from Newark in Hudson County and really Easton is a straight run out on Route 78. I actually have an annual membership to Heritage Guild. The place is very friendly, clean and spacious. You have to fill out a couple forms and watch their range video before heading in. $20 per hour, $12 per handgun/hour + ammunition. It is not cheap, but you also are getting a great experience for what you pay for.

http://www.heritageguild.com/Ranges/Firearms-Ranges-Rules.aspx

·
Registered
17 Posts

Who Can Shoot?

Adult Male Shooters

Adult Female Shooters

You've probably come and gone by now but posting this for search junkies.

Guns for Hire (little falls) is nice, clean professional and expensive. It get VERY crowded on the weekends (2 hours waits.

RTSP (randolph, nj) is also nice, clean and professional and expensive. It gets crowded on weekends but not as crowded as Guns for Hire.

Bullet Hole: Small, dirty and less expensive. Much closer to Newark. Lots of local LEOs go there to shoot. Works in a pinch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts