Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone know a good pace to put a canteen cause my backpack straps around my waist so i cant put it there.... help? thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
What kind of pack do you have?

I have an ALICE. With a canteen cover and ALICE clips, you can clip a canteen right to the pack. I have 2 canteens clipped onto mine, one on each side.

·
Registered
372 Posts

I have an ALICE. With a canteen cover and ALICE clips, you can clip a canteen right to the pack. I have 2 canteens clipped onto mine, one on each side.
:thumb:

cause thats the way, uh-huh, uh-huh I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my pack isnt a army issue it is just a hiking bag so no fancy places to put stuff:( .................i go tto get a better one

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
If you pack has a top day pack attached I'd stick it there. Least that's where I carry mine, within easy reach, also where my hat and rain jacket is kept.

·
Wanderer
3,270 Posts
If it's an Army surplus canteen, you can tie it on to the ALICE clips with plastic electrical ties to a pack strap. A regular water bottle can go in any pocket or the top compartment, or hang it from a small carabiner on a pack strap. Make a cloth bag to carry it in with a loop that your pack's waist belt fits through. The bladders work great, but sometimes are pretty heavy if completely full. If it's below freezing, carry your canteen upside down so if it gets iced up you can still drink out of it.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I keep a larger canteen in the BOB, but for drinking on the go I actually use an old fashioned Davey Crockett water skin, the actual tear drop shaped ones with the stopper on the top. They hold a lot of water, conform to your body, and take up no space when they're empty. Just fold it or roll it and put it in your pack.
Another option -though I'm not fond of yuppie fads, and all the yuppie 'hikers' have one these days, are those rectangular shaped gortex waterbags with the tubes on them that fit between your back and your backpack. I've seen them marketed on hunting packs as well, and they look pretty handy.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Why would you want to carry that heavy crap? Get a bladder or use an Aquafina bottle.
While I have a bladder too, a canteen is easier to collect water in. Both have pros and cons. I usually have both a bladder in my pack, plus a canteen and sometimes even a second canteen.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts

That's how I roll!! A while back I posted a link about the SmarTube cap/tube/bite-valve system that lets you can use your canteens like a bladder system. They have a number of different caps to fit different types of bottles. I don't have them yet but they're on my list.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/links/showlink.php?l=424&catid=4&orderby=name&direction=DESC

·
Registered
346 Posts
Why would you want to carry that heavy crap? Get a bladder or use an Aquafina bottle.
IMHO because at the end of the day , or many days you wil still have a functioning water vessel . I like the idea of a water bladder with drinking tube but refilling requires removal of the pack if that is where you store it. Ametal canteen and cup with stove sleeve is wel worth the weight.
A canteen should be positioned where you can get to it and also return to carrier with minium fuss. When you need to kep moving you need to rehydrate on a regular basis and droping a 40# pack every time you are thirsty will drag you down.

·
canadian camper
92 Posts
i carry mine on my army issue web utility belt i keep my canteen,survival kit,and multi tool
for videos like that and other stuff cheak out my youtube account

·
Banned
569 Posts
While I have a bladder too, a canteen is easier to collect water in. Both have pros and cons. I usually have both a bladder in my pack, plus a canteen and sometimes even a second canteen.
You'd be better served by a couple 1-liter Aquafina bottles or an HDPE Nalgene. Light weight first, always.

·
American fearmaker
14,241 Posts
One of the interesting ideas for carrying water is to have a very small bottle of water somewhere on your person and your main canteen/water bladder attached to your rucksack. So there you patrolling around with just a little bit of water in a small plastic bottle in something about the size of a first aid pouch or compass pouch. You refill the smaller bottle from the water carried in your rucksack. It works really well for most daytime and short range patrols. And, if you ration your water, your small amount of water on your person can actually be extended to a couple of days if need be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts