Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new SKS with some Wolf ammo, and I want to test it/sight it. But none of the shooting ranges in this area allow Wolf to be used, because of the steel jackets (greater risk of ricochet & sparks). I've got some other ammo on order, but...

Anyone know of any "unofficial" ranges/areas (BLM land, Nat'l Forest, etc.) in Western WA that I can go to in the meantime? I'm careful & safe, and I police up my brass...

rick

PS. if you're not comfortable posting this publically, you can send me a private message.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Rick, shooting Wolf ammo should not be a problem anywhere. The bullet does not have a steel jacket. The case is steel. That is why they are lacquer coated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found this on another forum, about Wolf & shooting ranges:

"It is soviet-bloc military grade ammo though, and made inexpensively, so it is not the most consistently accurate stuff around. It's also mostly steel cased, and some calibers are bi-metal jacketed projectiles or steel cored projectiles. This was done mostly to save money on ammo production, but it is believed by many that it was done to make the ammo "armor piercing," and in truth it does have that effect *to a limited extent.*

Most indoor ranges, and some outdoor ranges, will not allow wolf ammo, for a variety of reasons. The reasons they'll give you:

A) it's armor piercing and damages the traps much more than typical ammo (indoor ranges, this is true of some calibers)
B) it is a fire hazard (indoor/outdoor ranges, very true)
C) it is unsafe/bad ammo, and bad for your guns (partly true but not their call to make)

And the one they won't tell you:

D) It is too cheap, and because of A/B/C they don't sell it, so if you bring it to their range and shoot it while their ammo sits on the shelves, they'll go out of business. Good business on their part, and understandable if you think about it. Does Wal-mart and other cheap ammo vendors let you shoot that ammo @ their store? No. Range owners/employees have bills to pay and shooting hobbies to feed as well .

As to whether or not it really will hurt your gun? I don't know but I only shoot it in my SKS. I don't trust it in anything I care about. It does shoot dirty though I can verify that, it'll gunk your gun up like a mother*******. As to shooting range stuff, the wolf calibers that have a steel penetrator will tear up their traps, I have seen it happen first hand, and it is a very expensive repair. Since all wolf is steel cased, it's hard to tell which wolf has steel projectiles without closer examination. And why would the range care to examine it when B,C,D are factors as well?"

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
On Highway 2 just past Gold Bar, you can go shoot to your heart's content on Forest Service Road 62. Look for Zeke's Truck Stop (looks like an old railcar) the turn off is about 2.2 miles East on the right.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Try the issaquah gun range. Earth and tire traps. Nothing on the rulesheet says not to but it says to sort spent brass with a magnet and put them in the proper cans. They don't sell ammo, just targets so no 'financial complications' due to what they stock.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
1 .3.10.
Armor piercing ammunition is prohibited.
1 .3.11 .
Tracer or incendiary ammunition is prohibited .

Regular ball is fine there. AP has a steel core. Wolf has a bi-metal outer skin and lead inside.

You can call and ask though. They seem like real nice folks.

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
It is the bimetal jackets that cause the stir...they considered banning bimetal jackets at the local range due to fire hazard. Some one with an SKS shooting bimetal jacteted bullets at a steel gong apparently started a fire. They decided to allow bimetal jacketed bullets and remove the steel gongs...
Peter

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, tried to go to the Issaquah gun range yesterday, but there was some kind of festival going on there; they had streets blocked off all over the place. Didn't thinnk it would be very smart to walk with my rifle (even in it's case) thru the celebration!

Went to the place outside of Gold Bar instead (thanks, BudgetSurvivalist). Nice. There was a sign just at the entrace to the Forest Service road, saying "No Shooting area", but I assumed it meant right there at the entrance; went up about 1/2 mile and there was all kinds of spent cartridges and such, so I figured that area would be OK. Nice berm with all kinds of cut down sections of logs...Set up a 3' high section of 10" diameter log as my target.

Boy, that SKS throws the spent cartridges into the next county! I tried sighting in (had some problems with the rear sight, but that's another story), and fired about a dozen rounds; could not find a single spent casing! If I decide to start reloading (with something like the Fiocchi brass-cased ammo), I'm going to have to get some kind of shell deflector so that I can find the casings.

Surprised at the penetration, too. Went easily thru that 10" diameter target log.

rick

·
Registered
604 Posts
Out of an SKS Wolf is great. All my SKS and Mosin-Nagant ammo is Wolf and the ranges around here don't care if you use it. I have never seen it offered in steel core. All my stuff is basic FMJ, HP and SP.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Well, tried to go to the Issaquah gun range yesterday, but there was some kind of festival going on there; they had streets blocked off all over the place. Didn't thinnk it would be very smart to walk with my rifle (even in it's case) thru the celebration!
rick
Salmon days. Forgot about that one myself. I was headed to the same place yesterday and hit the same traffic. Its only once a year for 3 days. Stopped me cold too.:xeye:

The range has screen stands to stop the brass. Still goes all over the ground though, just keeps the hot stuff off of other people.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Out of an SKS Wolf is great. All my SKS and Mosin-Nagant ammo is Wolf and the ranges around here don't care if you use it. I have never seen it offered in steel core. All my stuff is basic FMJ, HP and SP.
Trebuchet,

According to the Wikipedia article referenced above, as well as several other sources, most Wolf ammo doesn't have steel CORES, but does have steel JACKETS:
"Most of Wolf's rifle cartridges use steel jacketed bullets, though they look like copper jacketed. The copper exterior of the bullet is only about .005 inch thick, (about twice the thickness of a sheet of paper) with a steel jacket underneath about 1/32 inch thick. Only the cartridges in the yellow and black boxes, which have become almost unavailable as of 2/08, have real copper jackets."

I use the basic FMJ "Military Classic" (camo colored box), and those are "bimetal" (steel jacketed). Only the Wolf Gold line has actual copper jackets, and according to Wolf's website, they don't make those in 7.62x39.

rick

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got some useful info when I first asked this question, but now I wanted to give some updates:

I-90 Forest corridor closed to target shooting:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009408357_webtargetshooting01m.html

Forest Service Rd 62 (outside of Gold Bar) closed to shooting:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/news/2009/proctor-creek-road-closure.shtml

I took a drive around some of the National Forest land in the area of Pilchuck Mountain yesterday, but most of those areas are also posted for "no shooting"...

So, aside from the actual clubs/formal ranges, is there anywhere in western WA where a guy who's safe & cleans up his brass can still shoot informally? Yes, I know the some of the ranges, but with so many restrictions (can't shoot Wolf ammo, can't load more than one round at a time, can't shoot rapid fire, can't use "human-looking" targets, etc...) I might as well just play a shooting game on the computer!

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Sounds pretty lame to me... So many haters for Wolf ammo out there apparently.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
im thinking it has less to do with sparks than it does with having to police casings they can't use or sell. A lot of ranges try to lay claim to spent brass

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
Wolf isn't the only ammo that has a steel jacket. Some of the Greek 30-06 that CMP sells is steel jacket that is copper plated. It attracts a magnet. I also bought some .30 cal bullets online. They were pulled bullets and they were copper plated steel jacket. If you looked at them, you couldn't tell they were steel. I hit one with a torch and melted the lead out. Then I picked it up with a magnet. Also, steel jacket is not AP ammo.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Glad I don't have to deal with that BS around here.....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, I can now personally confirm that Wolf ammo is absolutely the dirtiest ammo I have ever used.

Just put 50 rounds of Wolf 9mm through a Sig that my father-in-law let me borrow. When I broke it down to clean it, it seriously looked more like I had fired 500 rounds instead of just 50.

I will never use the stuff again!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Why not just chech the lot with a magnet? Stand the ammo on the head and run a magnet over the bullet. If the bullet has any steel in it at all the the bullet will be attracted. If there isn't the the copper and lead won't react.

JM2C

1 - 20 of 24 Posts