Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I am new here and I did a search but came up empty-handed. Might be doing it wrong. I hope not.

Anyway--here is my question, where can I get wheat in bulk to store? I have seen it mentioned several times but I have yet to see where I can get it at. I am in the St. Louis, MO area. I tell this because I know that shipping is a real b....ummer.
Any help from anyone is sure appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've that you can get it from feed stores. The only difference from it and "store" bought is it may have more chaff and debris in it. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in soon. It's funny you mention this, my wife was just asking me where we could buy it locally, I was going to check into the feed stores this weekend.

·
De Oppresso Liber
23 Posts
Ask your local health food store if they can do a bulk order of 50 lb. You can pick it up there and save yourself shipping costs. "Hard Red Winter Wheat" from High Mountain Wheat tastes great, and grinds down really well.

·
Non ducor, duco.
350 Posts
feed stores are usually double washed and and retail is usually triple washed sometimes 4 times ... you can potentionally end up with more bug infestion on feed store double washed .... but proper packaging with mylar and 02 obsorbers in conjuction with freezing should bring that down to almost nil ....

this is my understanding anyway based on research ive personally done and have only recently bought and packaged and stored my own

i did not go the feed store route and instead paid the extra not to have to deal with double washed ... I ordered online ...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I getmine from the local feed mill, sometimes they are listed under co-op or farm mill. The other place I get mine is from the Amish. Mennenites (sp?) stores also carry it. Health food stores carry it or can order it if you want it in bulk.

I forgot to look where you're from. If I know I can ask my friend who works at the local feed store if he knows of any in your area.

Tury

·
Registered
103 Posts
I live in rural Nebraska. A neighbor saves her own wheat from their annual wheat harvest and cleans and mills it herself with her own grinder. Don't know where you live but if you are close to any wheat growing areas, maybe you could make contact with wheat farmers and get a few bushels from them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was just researching red wheat grain on line. A 45 lb bucket costs 68.00 to ship to a state closest to the distributor, $9 more to my location.

Over the weekend I made bread and paid attention to quantities. A 5 lb bag of flour made 4 loaves with a little left over (under 2 cups).

A 45 lb bucket (if a cup of unprocessed wheat=a cup of flour) will yield 9 five pound bags or 36 loaves of bread.

If my math is correct, this comes out to $7.56/5 lbs or $1.89/loaf.

Hodgson Mills premium whole wheat flour costs at the most $3.99/5 lb bag or $1/loaf.

It would be more cost effective to store the Hodgson Mills flour.

Do we want to save wheat grain for the long-term storage benefit, nutritional benefit or cost savings?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm still trying to learn this stuff myself -- but my understanding is that the whole kernels will store better & longer than the flour .... if that's wrong I hope someone more knowledgable will correct me. It obviously isn't cheaper. In addition -- if you grind your own you know what's in the flour -- besides -- it's fun. I'm really hoping to get more involved in all this in about 18 months. I'm retiring in 2 -- but then have a house to sell, 2 pieces of raw land to sell, and a house to build ....so the next year is promising to be a busy one. THEN I hope to have the time to plant a garden, bake my daily bread, etc etc. AND get all my stores in order. I've only just started -- and events are catching up .....

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
wheat berries will store up to 30 years if stored properly. flour starts to lose it's nutritional value as soon as it is ground and will last a year or so for white flour, less for whole wheat.
for long term storage your best bet is to put up wheat berries and get a mill. shelf life for oats is similar with oat groats lasting years longer than processed oats, so if you want to store oats, get a mill that will also flake or roll oats and store oat groats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just researching red wheat grain on line. A 45 lb bucket costs 68.00 to ship to a state closest to the distributor, $9 more to my location.
Maybe you are getting ripped off. I live in the bay area. The Bay area is one of the most expensive places in the United States to live next only to New York.

I can go to "Whole Foods Market" and get "Red Winter Wheat Berries" for 0.99 a pound. I just picked up my order today and for ordering that much they gave me %10 off. That was $99 - 9.90

The total there was for $89.10 for 100lbs.

that comes out to $0.891 per POUND!

I would not convert pounds to loaves at this point because it only serves to add error. I guaranty you that FIVE pounds of wheat berries makes FIVE pounds of flour. The theory of "conservation of mass", the corner stone of modern physics, demands the result to be equal. If you somehow "burn away" your flour as you grind, check your grinding method.

That is 9 cents more per pound for ORGANIC wheat. That is one of the best organic vs. non-organic purchases there is.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Irminer; go to google maps pull up your town and "search nearby" for "feed" you'll get a bunch of feed & pet stores. Hopefully one of em will carry or can order wheat. I found a grainary about 150 miles north of me by using google maps.

Mikim; read the attached word doc, it will help out. Lots of good info on storing food. :)

PS. health food stores will just ripp you off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheat products

I currently live in St. Louis and have seen a definite need for a co-op to purchase wheat, beans, honey... all things to make bread. I former lived in GA and had ready access to wonderful wheat products, grain mills, dehydrators, and other home baking or even survival products. I have been considering contacting them about either starting a store or co-op for this area. I'd be interested to knowing your thoughts.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Walmart.com

Yep Walmart. Search for Augason farms.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Hard-White-Wheat-26-lb/22001478
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Hard-Red-Wheat-26-lb/22985145

Also
http://beprepared.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=red+wheat
These guys ship it already in Mylar with O2 absorbers. Walmart's are not in Mylar.

Also winter white wheat makes a lighter bread. You might prefer it over red.

Another thing to do is check for a Morman Kitchen near you. They are usually the cheapest you will find. Some will allow non-Mormans to use the canning facilities. Almost all will sell bulk foods and other things to non-Mormans.

Reactions: WhyNot

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
PS. health food stores will just ripp you off.
Usually true.

Whole Foods is an exception. They are usually very reasonable on bulk bags. And not that bad on small purchases.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
If you plan on long-term storage, the LDS (Latter day Saints) is a great option, me and many others here can vouch for their operation.
You can get a case of either red or white wheat, sealed with 02 absorbers, in six #10 cans, for $28, DELIVERED !!!! That's 33 pounds of product. The cases are stackable, or fit easily under a bed.Plus, the long-term sealing ahs been done for you.
They also have a limited selection of other products, I particularly like the oats.

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557_21003_-1__195792

·
This is my happy faaaacce
269 Posts
I am a truck driver for a large feed and grain company. I got a bunch this year when I was hauling wheat from the field. Most all auger buggies leak some place when they are unloading and when they finish and pull off, I roll my tarp down, get a couple of gallon ziplocs and fill em up and head in.

I havent got it yet, but I will be buying about 300 lbs in the next week or so from work.

There is not much issue with bugs in new crop wheat. Its the wheat that has been stored a long time or moved around several times that gets iffy.

And I can get 560 lbs for about $75

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you plan on long-term storage, the LDS (Latter day Saints) is a great option, me and many others here can vouch for their operation.
You can get a case of either red or white wheat, sealed with 02 absorbers, in six #10 cans, for $28, DELIVERED !!!! That's 33 pounds of product. The cases are stackable, or fit easily under a bed.Plus, the long-term sealing ahs been done for you.
They also have a limited selection of other products, I particularly like the oats.

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557_21003_-1__195792
This is where I get mine. No shipping, no tax, I've ordered from the web site a few times with no trouble at all.
Moose

1 - 20 of 34 Posts