Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a reasonably priced place to find a pressurized kerosene lantern similar to a Petromax. I've seen several Butterfly models, which are supposed to be a Chinese version of the Petromax for sale direct from China via wholesale suppliers. You would think with that many available that someone stateside would be importing them. Does anyone have a good, reasonably priced source for one of these?

Note: I know the Petromax is better, but I can't afford one right now and I've seen good reviews of the Butterfly so I would like to try one if possible. I'm open to suggestions to the contrary though as well. Thanks.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
We use plain wick type kero lamps, and quite a few aladdin lamps as our backup light source, mainly cause of the simplicity. I found a big box of aladdin mantles and wicks at a flea market years ago and have a lifetime stock, so for us it's a nobrainer. Plus they don't hiss and spit at me. We have several old pressure coleman gas lanterns that were my dads, and while bright, they're nasty buggers in my opinion. For outside I prefer the dietz kero lamps. Pressure kero stoves work OK if treated right, years ago they were common among offshore sailors. Sorry, I have no experience with the butterfly, but may check them out.

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying.

I've got a few wick type lanterns/lamps, and while I enjoy them I would like one lantern that is a bit brighter. I do have and use a dual fuel Coleman lantern, but like the idea of multi-fuels like the Petromax/Butterfly.

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know if the Wenzel is kerosene only, or multi-fuel like the Petromax?

I saw the aussie light, but shipping is a bit to the U.S. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This seems like a pretty nice alternative to coleman fuel... It stands a chance of displacing propane. Does anyone know how well these work on vegetable oil?

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks McGyver, Major Surplus is the cheapest place I've seen them yet. Too bad they are sold out. I'll be patient.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Got an original steel reinforced GI trunk, with both lanterns and a half dozen spare brackets, half dozen spare glass inserts and they have the original tool kits and the tool compartment is stuffed with mantles all the way full on each. They run kero,white or regular gas , or deisel fuel. I was offered 800.00 for the crate one time so they are probably pretty hard to come by.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts