Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
3/5
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far you're turning out correct, google is showing a lot, but the prices are all hovering around 1.79 to 1.99 each.

I'll order them once I think I have found the cheapest. Ordering the O2's as I speak. Thanks! :)

·
3/5
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I bought several hundred pounds of rice and other things, and found out that just dumping it in buckets with sealed via silicon lids isn't enough, I figured I'd do it the correct way. And she'd like it to be not in the living room anymore.

·
Banned
404 Posts
You're being extremely difficult for no reason that I can fathom.

no not really.
i dont see what the issue with with just going
" wow thanks for the company name...(umm ok,,google-insert keyboard noise here-..click..click.....umm..theres the size i want..hey that price aint bad....click..) i saved XXX amount( or damn their prices suck).."

I'll get with al gore and ask him to install an easy button for the internet for ya:p;)

on a side note- the non bagged stuff(rice andother grains) will be fine with out mylar for years BUT imho, its better to do the mylar/o2 route and be done with it. there's no reason to have to rotate any of your grains untill they are nearing the 20 yr mark!

some advice,if you cant find bukcets aka- bakeries...try firehouse subs or deli's for their pickle bukcets. firehouse sells theirs for 2$ with lids..pretty good deal imho.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Isn't there a bit of a rub here? If TSHTF is near mylar is rather over kill, yes? Isn't using mylar an admission that it's all kind of iffy? Now, I can also see the argument that if you are going to do anything or buy anything do it well...but that kind of moves it into a hobby, if not an affectation, yes? Or maybe there are different kinds of survivalist, that is, some thing in terms of weeks or months, others years or decades....

·
3/5
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think in terms of I lack a crystal ball, but dislike not being prepared for whatever may jump in my lap. And I loathe things being done in a haphazardly way.

I already have a hobby, taking naps. I'm still not caught up on all the ones I missed. :)

·
Banned
404 Posts
Isn't there a bit of a rub here? If TSHTF is near mylar is rather over kill, yes? Isn't using mylar an admission that it's all kind of iffy? Now, I can also see the argument that if you are going to do anything or buy anything do it well...but that kind of moves it into a hobby, if not an affectation, yes? Or maybe there are different kinds of survivalist, that is, some thing in terms of weeks or months, others years or decades....

it really does matter what someone is "prepping" for.
BUT if your buying anything in bulk can goods are not the way,nor any other wet packed food items.

as show in the food vids i just posted in the movie section food doesnt need to be in mylars per say. BUT it does help with making it last.

Last year rice was 11$ per 50lbs now its nearing 30$ if i dropped 66$ then and now unbagged 1-3 yrs later my 66$ investment has bugs or mold etc and is un able to be consumed now i have to go spend triple that to replace it!
2-3 5 gallon pails full will be plenty for the "shortterm" survivalist IMHO along with wet packed items that can be rotated out as there shelf life declines.
having 5000 can goods is a waste imho , due to rotation/start up cost( avg 1$ per can, and now over 1 $ to replace let alone weight/bulk vs amount of food)compared to whole grainsd and other LT storage foods.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
This is where I buy my 5 gal, 55gal drum Mylars and oxygen absorbers. Good volume prices for groups.

26MFS36 26"x36", PAKVF4 4.3 mils 5 or 6 gallon pail liner.

Designed for a 55 gallon drum with .75" wide seals (ws) for extra strength↓
30MFS51WS 30" x 51" PAKVF4 4.3 mils
42MFS48 42"x 48" PAKVF4 4.3 mils
12MGB60 12"x 60" Special Military “Olive Drab”

See:
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html

·
Registered
193 Posts

Having been a preparedness person for about 25 years to varying degrees, it would have been nice if I packed for long term from the get-go. Maybe TSHF happens this year, maybe it doesn't. IMO, it "is" kinda iffy. I prepare for a day I pray will never come. For that reason, I use the mylar and O2 absorbers. The long term preps I make now will be good until I'm knocking on 70.

As far as good prices on mylar and O2 absorbers: if you are happy with 1 gallon mylars you can buy a case of them (250) from LDS for less than $100.00- about .38 each

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wc...amp;cg5=&pageId=1&pageCt=15&sortId=1&sortOr=1

oxy absorbers - 12.00 for 100

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wc...amp;cg5=&pageId=1&pageCt=15&sortId=1&sortOr=1

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Oh wait no dude.........
I ordered a grain mill from them.
Call before you do it or you'll be soooooo sorry.
They drop ship a lot of stuff they carry.
I ordered a country living mill and paid a pretty good price for which I was very promptly charged.
I didn't get it for almost two months and had to make legal threats to file a dispute with the CC company before they sent any kind of response.
No hey we got your order email.
No response to four of five increasingly unhappy enquiries by email....
I had to leave at least two hot voice mails to get them to call me.
Call and make sure they actually have them unless waiting doesn't bother you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.