Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any stores carry mylar bags and desiccant? I want to start storing rice and things in five gallon buckets with these bags. So far I have only seen them for sale online. Do stores like walmart carry them? I'm also looking for those tiny bags of desiccant to absorb moisture.

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
You'll probably have to go online. You don't want dessicants...you want oxygen absorbers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've searched through the boards quite a bit and see plenty of posts talking about online sales, but nothing so far about a "mom-and-pop" store where you can buy absorbers. Am I missing the magic keyword? Can you buy absorbers somewhere other than online?

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I used to get them from another operation, but after being dissatisfied with the quality of the bags,I've purchsed from these guys several times, for myself and some family and friends.They also come highly recommended by members here on this forum.
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/food_storage_equipment.htm

Another plus : the 100 pack of 500 cc O2 absorbers comes in two seperate bags of 50, so you can do up a batch with one bag, then later use the other un-opened bag for another load, so get enough bags so you don't have to re-order (voice of experience).

p.s. As stated above, you want to use 02 absorbers inside the mylar bags, NOT desicant. The desicant interferes with the O2 absorbtion, this has been covered on other threads.

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
I second what Mil-Dot said - we've ordered form usa emergency supply as well and have been very happy with the mylar bags and O2 absorbers from them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our local gun store has a big variety of desiccant containers available for sale as an accessory to the gun safes they sell. Check out any of the big retail outdoors stores (cabelas, etc) or a local gun store that stocks a variety of gun safes.

Don't know about mylar bags though...

·
Wanderer
259 Posts
Local Cigar/Tobacco stores usually carry a good supply of dehumidifying choices to go in their boxes and storage supplies.
If it'll keep tobacco from rotting or getting wet, it'll do the same for rice and grain.

·
2,981 Posts

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I have a line on 500 gallon size Mylar bags. If anyone is interested let me know. I would sell them for between .75 and a dollar.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I have a line on 500 gallon size Mylar bags. If anyone is interested let me know. I would sell them for between .75 and a dollar.

Why so expensive when you can order them from LDS for $.37 each for a 7 mils (the thickest available) gallon size bag?

·
Anti-Raider Patrol
413 Posts
I try to help support the sites I like. Personally I try to do most of my online shopping from links on Survivalist Boards, Frugal Squirrels, and The Survival Podcast. I figure if these stores are supporting these sites it's good to support them.

Rick

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Why so expensive when you can order them from LDS for $.37 each for a 7 mils (the thickest available) gallon size bag?
was just throwing it out there. I checked again and could get them for .20, I did the math wrong.

·
Glutton for punishment
1,578 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to pull the string on desiccants interfering with O2 absorbers. This is true but according to sorbent systems "IMPORTANT:The desiccant packets must be placed at the bottom of the pail or barrier bag or in the middle of the food products. The desiccant bags must not be close to the oxygen absorbers. Desiccants will negatively affect the performance of the oxygen absorber when close by. We supply desiccant bags made from Tyvek. Tyvek is a material acceptable for food product contact. We have 1 ounce and 5.5 gram packets available. The 1 ounce packets are packaged 10 and 50 per bag. For those individuals and organizations for which humidity is a concern, we recommend two 1 ounce packets per 5 or 6 gallon pail, or two per large barrier bag. For some products that are already extremely dry and for which concern is minimal, you may use one packet." http://sorbentsystems.com/longtermfoodstorage.html

Just wanting to understand. We live in a semi-arid climate that only gets like 6" of rain a year so I figure they are overkill for me even if I package during the winter. Still wanted to understand this more.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Just wanting to understand. We live in a semi-arid climate that only gets like 6" of rain a year so I figure they are overkill for me even if I package during the winter. Still wanted to understand this more.
Yes they can be used just not together (near each other). The reason being is the O2 absorber has some moisture in it to get the chemical process going to remove the O2. Putting the desiccant near the O2 absorber will rob the absorber of this moisture and the process could stop before all the O2 is absorbed.

By placing them at opposite ends (top and bottom) the absorber can remove all the O2 then the desiccant can remove any moisture still in the air, since this is a longer process.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I try not to 'sell' here very often (except in the sales threads), but I wasn't on the site back then, so I'll toss my name into the ring now if anyone needs any Mylar, Desiccant or Oxygen Absorbers.=)

For case quantities and less than case quantities, I can get most items delivered to you for less than Sorbent; the LDS don't have any markup, so if you like their pouches or other supplies, they are a great deal. We do all our own bulk food purchases at a local cannery, and its by far the best way to buy food. For ultra-high quantities Sorbent is still a great company, and were one of our original suppliers.

Sorry to interrupt and hope I didn't offend anyone, back to your presently scheduled programming!:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has found a brick and mortar location to buy mylar bags.

A note on 02 absorbers, you can get them almost anywhere now but you will not find them as "02 absorbers". Look for "Hot Hands" packets, they are the same as 02 absorbers just larger you can usualy find tham at good prices this time of year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts