Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't sing its praises enough.

I have a bic lighter sized piece glued to a firesteel and can start a fire in light rain with wet redwood duff (done it for a friend to prove the point.)

Firesteel.com has great fatwood blocks, sticky with a lanyard hole and everything.

If your in the wild look for broken or lightning struck pines that have a large standing stump. Some of the natural fatwood is just dripping with resin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You pay for the shipping, I'll be happy to send you all you want in big chunks. I have a ton of long logs of it here on my property. Got one piece about 60 foot long or better that is still standing that I need to cut down. When clearing the back half of my land off I shoved up a stump of it that filled the back of my truck. Thank God for a track hoe to pick it up and set it in the truck. A couple of foot long pieces should last you a good long while.
Hey I know this was back in 2012, but I an looking for fatwood that is 6" long X 2" to 3" with. Would like 20 pieces. If you can provide them let me know. I am willing to pay and cover shipping to AZ.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Never heard of “fat wood” around here it’s called fat lighter and it’s super easy to find if you got pine trees you got fat lighter I had no idea you buy it in the store. My granddaddy was born in 1921 and he used to sell it for a nickel a bundle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anybody bought fatwood?If so which place has the best high quality dark red stuff.I have never bought any before.
Bought some from ACE Hardware last week. It was a 10 pound box from BetterWood Products for $19.95 each. I got two boxes, 90% of the sticks were high in resin. Here are some pics of the choice fatwood. I will store in two 50 cal ammo cans to preserve the flammability and stack in closet. The less resin sticks I separated out and will use in the fireplace.
Rectangle Wood Trunk Hardwood Wood stain

Getting another ammo can delivered today so I can store these sticks.
Food Ingredient Rectangle Cuisine Artifact

If you cannot go out into the woods and find fatwood then check out Walmart, ACE, Lowe’s etc. I was surprised on how good it turned out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This weekend I had Army Reserve drill so on the way home I went by Walmart to try their fatwood. Only did it to see what other brands had to offer. They carry Duraflame and Expert Grill. The Duraflame in stock was in a box so you can’t see what your getting.
Publication Font Book Material property Wood

But there was a box that was opened so I could check out the wood. I was disappointed to find the sticks to not be rich in resin. The other brand ExpertGrill was in a clear bag so I could see inside.
Rectangle Packaging and labeling Ingredient Packing materials Cuisine

I looked through all 6 bags in stock. Again I did not find rich resin sticks or sticks that looked like the ones in the image above. Don’t get me wrong I bet they would work great as kindling and probably burn great but i did not find any rich resin sticks. They all looked like these sticks with some resin veins.
Blue Hood Light Wheel Azure

For me at least, the 2 boxes of fatwood from Better Wood Products had premium rich resin sticks. Like I said before about 90% of the sticks were rich in resin and enough to fill two 50 cal cans and more of choice fatwood.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Wood

After looking at both Walmart brands I did not buy any.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I never use fire starters. The maple wood I use in my stove is always full, and I mean full, of coals in the morning. Once or twice a month we have to let the stove go cold to clean it out. We use a small torch and a handful of kindling to get it going.
BTW: We never "make" kindling. We pick up the small cedar branches that never seem to stop falling, and the odds and ends of wood that splinter off the rounds we are splitting up for firewood. All our wood dries for 1 1/2 to two years before we burn. Catches fire very easily and quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two 50 ammo cans of fatwood and Still have a Pile of sticks to cut in order to fit Sideways.
Brown Wood Rectangle Fixture Wood stain

I ordered some fatwood from a vendor on eBay and I should have that tomorrow. Will post pictures of the sticks when it arrives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another place to buy fatwood is on eBay. I just bought some from Lovett-1000. His fatwood is from Georgia pines. I bought two 8 ounce bags for $19.98 and free shipping. But If you buy 2 bags he doubles your order and sends you 4 bags. That is pretty cool. But is the fatwood any good? Hell yes, it smells freshly cut and looks fantastic. Beautiful resin sticks, the perfect size to take anywhere and use for fire starting. Here are some pics.

Hand Tableware Light Hood Car

Wood Food Packing materials Rectangle Staple food

Here is the listing. eBay seller Lovett-1000 Fat Lighter Fatwood Kindling Fire Starter Wood Tinder Sticks *8 Ounces* 2 FOR 4 | eBay

So if you can’t go out into Mother Nature and hunt for fatwood or your area doesn’t have it then there are some options to purchase.

Hope this informal fatwood study helps.
Stay safe and stay healthy my friends.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I selected a premium stick from the BetterWood Products box and I cut the end off. The cut end was .25 inches thick.
Brown Rectangle Wood Cuisine Tints and shades
Next I will place on a flashlight to show how translucent it is and full of resin.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts