Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Don't Tread On Me
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody bought fatwood?If so which place has the best high quality dark red stuff.I have never bought any before.

·
Don't Tread On Me
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No need for me to buy it. My parents own a tree farm and there are plenty of dead pine in the over grown section. go to a local forest and find some dead pine and get it for free.
Trust me I have gone that route before all I can find is fatwood with mabey a little red vein in it and it won't hardly light with a firesteel very good.I have a little pack I bought at the store and there was one stick in it that was good and red and it lit right up after some feathersticking.

·
Don't Tread On Me
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fat trees......
But, please explain...
You know fatwood aka pitchwood.When a pine tree is broken by high winds or what ever the roots and stump wont give up the ghost of that tree so it keeps on sending sap up the stump to a tree that is not there so it stays there and eventually dies.Once it dries out what is left is fatwood and extremly flamable peice of wood that is a great natural way of starting a fire;)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've bought 2 4lb bags of fatwood at a Gibsons that have been pretty good (actually I haven't even opened the second bag I bought but every piece I've used has been good. I haven't really tried lighting any of it with just a ferro rod but I know it goes up really easily with a Bic or similar and burns for quite a while with even just a small sliver or chunk. I never use a whole piece to start a fire but I usually split a small sliver off to start a fire and I almost always use PJ cottonballs or something similar to start my fires.
Walmart sells fatwood sometimes and if I'm thinking correctly Amazon does too and there is a website that sells only fatwood.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=fatwood&x=0&y=0
http://www.fatwood.com/
Here's the stuff I have that I paid 6 bucks for.
Amazon.com: Uniflame 4 POUNDS FATWOOD IN POLY BAG: Home & Kitchen

·
Registered
116 Posts
You pay for the shipping, I'll be happy to send you all you want in big chunks. I have a ton of long logs of it here on my property. Got one piece about 60 foot long or better that is still standing that I need to cut down. When clearing the back half of my land off I shoved up a stump of it that filled the back of my truck. Thank God for a track hoe to pick it up and set it in the truck. A couple of foot long pieces should last you a good long while.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Trust me I have gone that route before all I can find is fatwood with mabey a little red vein in it and it won't hardly light with a firesteel very good.I have a little pack I bought at the store and there was one stick in it that was good and red and it lit right up after some feathersticking.
I would recommend not ever relaying on a commercial product that you have to buy. Practice lighting fires with whatever you can scrounge in the countryside around you. If you can't light a fire with that, you shouldn't be out there anyway.

Using a plain magnesium flint and a knifeblade, I was able to light a fire in the rain. Found some dry cedar bark on the lee side of the tree, crushed it till it became wool, then lit it with a spark from the flint. Then used the lit wool to light dead branches still hanging on the tree. Those are always drier than anything laying on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
I got a small box at Wal-Mart in the heating section by the fireplace logs.

A little expensive, but I shaved some off and a fire steel lit it right up. I split it down to pencil size or less and break those in half. Use three in a teepee surrounded with the small twig kindling and I have a roaring fire in almost no time.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Being able to find your own fat wood is a skill, worth developing unless you want to depend on someone else to do everything for you when you're "inna woods"

·
Registered
537 Posts
"Fatwood", Lighterwood or pitchwood whatever you want to call it is available at Home Depot. The small bag probably has 20 or so 12" pieces in it for $4.98. We used to collect it all the time when I was younger. Some of the older folks called it "Heart Pine". Anyways it did start a fire really quick in our old wood burning stoves and heaters as did using pine cones to start a fire. Just my .02....SEMPER FI

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hardware store (OSH) sells small bags of kindling sized fatwood for starting a grill. Cut a small piece and it's perfect tinder.
Drill a hole in it an attach it to a firesteel.

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
Someone explain how to find it in the woods. I really have no idea.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Someone explain how to find it in the woods. I really have no idea.
Have not done it, but I have seen photos. You find an old pine stump that has been sitting for a while, but isn't totally rotted out. You dig or cut into it until you reach the heartwood way down deep inside. You are looking for the wood that is right at ground level or just a little below. It will be full of dried sap. You want to split it finely, then let it dry completely.

·
never tell me the odds
725 Posts
You know fatwood aka pitchwood.When a pine tree is broken by high winds or what ever the roots and stump wont give up the ghost of that tree so it keeps on sending sap up the stump to a tree that is not there so it stays there and eventually dies.Once it dries out what is left is fatwood and extremly flamable peice of wood that is a great natural way of starting a fire;)
i have never heard of this before. the woods behind my home are completely filled with tons of huge dead pines just like that after a real bad ice storm a few years back. i guess i should give it a try.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts