Votes: 15 1.5%
  • Somewhere -- Anywhere! -- Else

Votes: 484 48.7%
321 - 334 of 334 Posts

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
We have the west desert. Also the feds could fire up the Topaz War Relocation Center down by Delta. It would do wonders for their economy not to mention there is a 1,900 megawatt power plant a stone's throw away. Plenty of juice to charge all their iFruits. Plus Los Angeles won't be needing it anymore after the 90 foot Tsunami.

During any humanitarian crisis the Church is among the first if not the first to respond.
====

But seriously, do we really want the west coast invading our state? Colorado is just a few hours drive further east on I-80 and I-70.
You know, Lagnar, Mormons have a reputation for generally being really nice, sweet, caring people.

You might try that sometime.

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
"Where NOT to live: WA OR CA ID MT WY UT CO NV AZ NM BC and AB"

Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico - then you go international with Alberta Canada, none of which are in the PNW and subject to your volcanos, earthquakes and the cascadia subduction zone.

But we are only supposed to talk about the pacific northwest?

Bait and switch.
Look, you admit that you haven't read the OP and don't care about the thread topic.

And because you haven't read the OP, you have no clue what the thread is even about. And no one is going to try to explain to you what you don't know, because if you wanted to know it, well, you could always read the thread, right?

So here's an idea -- why don't you start your own thread about what YOU want to talk about?

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
Look, you admit that you haven't read the OP and don't care about the thread topic.

And because you haven't read the OP, you have no clue what the thread is even about. And no one is going to try to explain to you what you don't know, because if you wanted to know it, well, you could always read the thread, right?

So here's an idea -- why don't you start your own thread about what YOU want to talk about?
So the thread topic has noting to do with the thread title or the poll?

Since you don't seem to care about the geography or geology of the other western states in your list of "Where not to live" poll, and they are not under the influence of the cascadia subduction zone, why did you include them in your OP title? No need to answer.

You know, Lagnar, Mormons have a reputation for generally being really nice, sweet, caring people.
Generally. The last thing I would want to be called is sweet. :eek:

I'll go now. Have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
We have the west desert. Also the feds could fire up the Topaz War Relocation Center down by Delta. It would do wonders for their economy not to mention there is a 1,900 megawatt power plant a stone's throw away. Plenty of juice to charge all their iFruits. Plus Los Angeles won't be needing it anymore after the 90 foot Tsunami.

During any humanitarian crisis the Church is among the first if not the first to respond.
====

But seriously, do we really want the west coast invading our state? Colorado is just a few hours drive further east on I-80 and I-70.
Most definitely. Turn East at Cove Fort, don’t stop ‘til they hit Grand Junction.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tend to concentrate 90% on the immediate threats while doing some planning for possible threats. Right now I am far, far more concerned with whats going on in the streets of Washington State, and in Olympia, than I am concerned about what is going on under them!

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I`ve lived in So Cal. for the last 40 years. I`ve been in several. It probly takes a 6 or bigger to get me out of bed. I would rather live with the occasional earthquake then have to deal with tornadoes in the plain states or hurricanes in the southern states. Big earthquakes are rare.
Typical tornado is only a tiny thing that does not travel very far (on ground/doing damage). Typically behavior is pretty well understood with adequate warning giving time to seek shelter.

The MSM LOVES tornados (it bleeds - it leads) for sensationalist headlines. If a tornado passes, thru a few blocks away you won't even know it other than perhaps a short electric interruption.

·
Registered
297 Posts
WTF? a dead 6 year old thread? Look, You either live in a fire zone, a quake zone, hurricane, tornado, flood, or sinkhole zone, you can't stop Mother Nature! Why can't people understand that? Because they're to narrow minded to see the big picture! I wish people would worry more about themselves then to tell me where I should and shouldn't live!

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
WTF? a dead 6 year old thread? Look, You either live in a fire zone, a quake zone, hurricane, tornado, flood, or sinkhole zone, you can't stop Mother Nature! Why can't people understand that? Because they're to narrow minded to see the big picture! I wish people would worry more about themselves then to tell me where I should and shouldn't live!
If you don't live around here, you have nothing to worry about.

If you DO live around here, well, this IS "survivalistboards" where we make a point of knowing the major threats to our survival so we can prepare to survive them.

With all due respect, if you're uncomfortable discussing threats to survival, maybe you're on the wrong board?

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
No one is trying to stop mother nature, don't be silly.
Just trying to figure out how best to avoid her smack downs, while still living in a place that isn't a desolate wasteland.

The idea in this thread was decent, even if some of us dislike how it was titled and worded, and some of us think the threat assessment provided is FAR off of reality in some cases.

But the discussion is worthwhile.
If you are prepping, how do you prep for something that you can't prepare for because it's too big?
Well...being humans, we adapt, or we move, so you either accept you are SOL if the big one hits, or you go somewhere where that thing won't happen.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I somehow read every word of this thread and after taking into consideration the roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of it that might qualify as valid, pertinent info and decent discussion I'm still not convinced flushing Portland and Seattle into the sea wouldn't be a net positive ROI in the medium to long term.

·
MyPrepperLife
4,264 Posts
One place NOT to live is Benton County in Washington State. It's the home of the Benton nuclear site, which is 586 square miles of buildings and tanks and pits containing radioactive waste. I found out about it from a book I'm reading: Crisis of Conscience by Tom Mueller. Radioactive water going into the Columbia River. Huge tanks belching hydrogen. There are even radioactive tumbleweeds! 😕

·
Banned
491 Posts
Great. Now they know where to look. The best way to fool them is to hide in the deeper part of the coast ranges as there is TONS of evergreens that don't 'dry out' seasonally and provide lots of fishing opportunities if you know how. You could go into the mountains of Astoria by Saddleback for a VERY long time without contacting society and this is the 'civilized' part of the coast if you can call it that.

The coast range on the southern end is even more rugged but also has way higher rainfall/snow issues and heat/fires in the summer. Though less of the former in recent times and a whole lot more of the latter!

·
Banned
491 Posts
One place NOT to live is Benton County in Washington State. It's the home of the Benton nuclear site, which is 586 square miles of buildings and tanks and pits containing radioactive waste. I found out about it from a book I'm reading: Crisis of Conscience by Tom Mueller. Radioactive water going into the Columbia River. Huge tanks belching hydrogen. There are even radioactive tumbleweeds! 😕
Someone should get a radon detector just to see how bad it is. I'm genuinely curious if it's as bad as the CONservatives make it out to be or if they've (the plant) does have things under control as they have safety systems within safety systems that make it more deadly to travel on the world's most advance train system in Japan. I kid you not!

I'd love to see a Reality series of Nuclear power plants showing day to day operations from hiring/firing to technical aspects and some behind the scenes footage around the world! It'd be amazing to see standards of different countries and how they handle a lot of minor plant issues that never make it to the news since it doesn't result in the likelyhood of deaths.

You know if it bleeds.............

·
Adventurer
1,009 Posts
Southeastern Pennsylvania....... Right across the Delaware River from New Jersey and just outside of Philadelphia.

Philly is Democrat/Retarded as all hell....

Most of the suburbs are about half Retard (liberal) and half Sane (conservative)...... But election fraud is RAMPANT in my area so the Libs always win.

321 - 334 of 334 Posts