Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member here but have been interested in, and actively "in the mode" since I saw (from afar) the come-apart that Katrina caused. I am wondering where most of you store your supplies. I realize that to some this may be a sensitive issue, and am not reffering to actual locations, but more general idea sharing. I have 85 gal of fresh water discretely stored outside but am having trouble figuring out secure storage for food etc in the quantities I want to have. Thoughts and ideas welcome.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Food preps are stored in convenient loactions in my house such as the pantry or laundry room on shelving. When I complete my water storage goals it will be located in my garage.

Gear preps I store in rubbermaid containers since they are waterproof and make moving supplies form one location to another very easy. The contaiers can also double as water bins in a pinch.

Check out this site for buckets with removable lids. They are a good idea IMO for food storage.

http://www.emergencyessentials.com

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have to remind myself not to put all my "eggs in basket". Our overall goal is three years worth of basic supplies. 1 for hunkering down, 1 for waiting for the first harvest and 1 just in case.

I have the supplies in three seperate but readily accesable locations so if for some reason one batch is lost we can fall back on the other two.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
basement, crawl spaces, it may not be a bad idea to buy a storage shed (space and $$ permitting) insulate it and use it for food storage. unused space in closets.

T

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
basement, crawl spaces, it may not be a bad idea to buy a storage shed (space and $$ permitting) insulate it and use it for food storage. unused space in closets.

T
I have 4 sheds on my property and am considering using one just for my supplies. I think security will be a main concern for it if I do use an outbuilding.

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
I'm using my crawl space for food and everything other than fuel. Outside have a 3k gallon fish pond, and digging a spot for a small fuel storage bin.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got the space saver bags and bagged up all the extra blankets and pillows in my linen closet and put those under the bed. Then I used the shelves in the linen closet for food. It is easier for me to rotate that way. :D:

We also had a corner lazy susan and we took the shelves out and used the whole area for storage. The grandkids love to crawl back in it and move stuff around for us.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have all the area under our bed filled with no. 10 cans. One bedroom closet is filled with rice, flour, PB and other somewhat temperature and humidity sensitive items. A storage room in my basement is rapidly filling up with things that can handle a bit more humidity.

I feed six though, so it might not need as much space for someone else.

I love the idea of taking the shelves off the lazy susan, thank you! I'll be doing that this weekend probably. I'm gathering supplies as quickly as I can right now and spaces not obvious to a casual visitor are filling up quickly.

I heard a good one for small items this week. Take out the bottom drawer of your chest of drawers. There is usually a space under there you can use. Ammunition could go there? This is of course assuming you can't see under your dresser, night table or whatever from the front or sides.

·
Mourning Wolf
248 Posts
Loose floorboards under the carpet leading into the gap between floors make for a very nice place to conceal extra bags of rice and flour (tightly wrapped) and a extra firearm or two you don't plan to tell anyone you actually own. ;)

Also think of the extra spaces not used on top of the fridge, freezer, etc.. those places can hold a few extra bags of food supplies as well in a mostly out of the way area.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I was able to add extra storage space in my laundry room. I live in an old house with 10 1/2 ceilings, even in the laundry room. So we went up. my shelves are 6 feet long, 16 inches deep and go all the way to the ceiling.

·
Ready for the big "push"
1,473 Posts
In my house, in my cellar, in my barn, at my parents house, in a storage unit at my brothers land outside of town, in a storage unit at my parents barn outside of town (different location than my parents house).

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
We're lucky to have a full basement ,garage and several out buildings.
This thread got thinking. Got out my tape measure and measured the space behind the couch in our living room.
Figure I can store about 8 cases of canned goods without moving the couch.
Behind my recliner chair I've got a tote full of magazines, most of which I could toss. I've got enough room there for another tote that couldn't be seen.
The places are endless.........Alaskan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts