Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread someone suggested I start numbering my magazines, which sounds like a good idea.

A buddy of mine is numbering his magazines, but he is labeling his on the side of the mag.

Personally, I think having your last name and a large number written on the side of the magazine does not look good. Then there is the reflection issue. Will writing your last name and number on the side of the magazine reflect light at night? Everything on the rifle is black, except for the large white letters on the side of the magazine.

I think I am going to start numbering mine in the back spine, the side nearest the trigger guard.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you number your magazines? (honest question)
If you have a problem with a magazine you can pull it out of rotation and keep it separate from the rest.

When shooting with other people it is easier to tell which magazines belong to who.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
In another thread someone suggested I start numbering my magazines, which sounds like a good idea.

A buddy of mine is numbering his magazines, but he is labeling his on the side of the mag.

Personally, I think having your last name and a large number written on the side of the magazine does not look good. Then there is the reflection issue. Will writing your last name and number on the side of the magazine reflect light at night? Everything on the rifle is black, except for the large white letters on the side of the magazine.

I think I am going to start numbering mine in the back spine, the side nearest the trigger guard.
lightly etch the mag with initials and last 4 of SSN

·
Registered
626 Posts
Numbering magazines has some merit, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I probably should before I run into any magazine related issues.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

That was probably me that suggested to number the mags in another thread. ALL of my mags, handgun and AR are numbered.

S&W Shield 9 mag

M&P9c 17rnd mag with XGRIP shoved up to view number underneath

PMAG

PMAG loaded with home 27 defense rounds. You don't want to store mags fully loaded to capacity for long time storage .. possibly weaken the springs.

Who cares what it looks like? I don't understand where you are coming up with this reflection issue.

BTW .. top trainers do it and tell there students to do the same BECAUSE ...

Use a number, not a name to be able to ID a malfunctioning mag from the rest since they all get thrown in together one way or another. I numbered mine using colored duct tape and black perm. marker on my AR mags, and just a perm blk marker on handgun mags since they are plastic or stainless steel.

To know what ammo is pre loaded in it. (YES .. pre load mags, but not to full capacity)

Use different colored ID tape around the mag for range practice mags and HD mags.

In case you discover the numbers are out of sync .. missing a mag that otherwise would go unnoticed.

·
Tin Can Sailor
3,242 Posts
If a magazine if malfunctioning, I would not need to know what number it is - I would simply pull it aside at the time and mark it then.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I have 3 cheap AR mags I don't trust.

I keep them in their own area. If things go bad I can use them for trade or let my brother law have them.
:rofl:

I have two metal AR mags that came with my DPMS that I have stashed for that kind of a use as well. :thumb:

·
it is what it is
3,702 Posts
i just put a yardsale sticker(the little colorfull round dots) on the bottom of mags until i run them a few times.in the field(situation) i would smash a problem mag so it wont be a problem anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts