Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
33,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably one of the hardest issues for me. I have a tendency to accept everyone on some level in Christian circles.

1st because I know I don't know everything, I mean who am I fooling?

2nd me accepting them as Christian brethren has no bearing on my own walk with Christ. I'm simply not required to perfectly judge everyone claiming to be Christian.

3rdly I know all so well what Jesus said (Matt 7:2) the same judgment you measure out will be measured back to YOU! Meaning my anger, my temper, my frustrations, my misunderstandings, my lack of true Christian hospitality etc., will be measured against me one day. As a result I try to throw grace on others like confetti.

The other day myself and wife were leaving a local grocery store and a man and woman were asking for donations for their Church. They were selling flowers and candles. I asked the man (who turned out to be the Pastor) if he had ever considered raising money in a more biblical way rather than begging for it on the streets (nicely). He looked at me funny as if he didn't have a clue and said they had expenses to meet and I rattled off a few biblical scriptures and said "this isn't the way to raise money for God's kingdom". We had about a 10 minute talk afterwards.

Later I wondered if I was too judgmental or was I doing the right thing and confronting something I knew was wrong. Did I do any good or wasted everyone time.

Where do you draw the line on fellowship?

A) Must agree with me and my Church 100% which we also call God's will as well.

B) Be humble and realize you and your beliefs aren't the totality of Christianity.

C) Rely on the Holy Spirit to keep silent or speak out.

D) Something else

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Probably one of the hardest issues for me. I have a tendency to accept everyone on some level in Christian circles.

2nd me accepting them as Christian brethren has no bearing on my own walk with Christ. I'm simply not required to perfectly judge everyone claiming to be Christian.

3rdly I know all so well what Jesus said (Matt 7:2) the same judgment you measure out will be measured back to YOU! Meaning my anger, my temper, my frustrations, my misunderstandings, my lack of true Christian hospitality etc., will be measured against me one day. As a result I try to throw grace on others like confetti.

The other day myself and wife were leaving a local grocery store and a man and woman were asking for donations for their Church. They were selling flowers and candles. I asked the man (who turned out to be the Pastor) if he had ever considered raising money in a more biblical way rather than begging for it on the streets (nicely). He looked at me funny as if he didn't have a clue and said they had expenses to meet and I rattled off a few biblical scriptures and said "this isn't the way to raise money for God's kingdom". We had about a 10 minute talk afterwards.

Later I wondered if I was too judgmental or was I doing the right thing and confronting something I knew was wrong. Did I do any good or wasted everyone time.

B) Be humble and realize you and your beliefs aren't the totality of Christianity.

D) Something else
E) Must be PART (not just agree) of the ONLY Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ.

The rest go to "friends of Jesus"". Look what Jesus says about them:

"John said to Him, “Teacher, we saw someone else driving out demons in Your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not accompany us.”

39“Do not stop him,” Jesus replied. “For no one who performs a miracle in My name can turn around and speak evil of Me. 40For whoever is not against us is for us. 41Indeed, if anyone gives you even a cup of water because you bear the name of Christ, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.

42But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be thrown into the sea."

Beware of the warning on Verse 42. Not all "friends of Jesus " are acceptable. It depends on their fruits.

·
Registered
33,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E) Must be PART (not just agree) of the ONLY Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ.
Do you mean like the 1st exclusive all-Jewish Church in Jerusalem founded by the Apostles or the Churches founded by the Apostles in Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Do you mean like the 1st exclusive all-Jewish Church in Jerusalem founded by the Apostles or the Churches founded by the Apostles in Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea?
I mean the ONE Holy and Catholic Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ that has list of Bishops with Holy Orders put upon their heads from the Apostles and strict commands from the Apostles never to lose these traditions and Sacraments received from them. The others are outside looking through different glasses, some colored, some warped, some opaque.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
It is not my place to judge another's "Christianity". It IS my place to discuss Christianity with others whether I think they are doing it right or wrong.

Another thread here was asking if we should judge Abraham guilty of adultery and it was already three pages of responses before I saw it so I didn't put in my two cents worth, but my instant thought was-- Who am I to judge a man who walks with God? God can do that all on his own without my input. I should go straight to my mirror and look for splinters in my own eye before I start reaching for what I think I see in others.

If you didn't judge that man's sense of Christianity, but rather saw a better, more Honorable way to do his task, then yes go discuss it with him. If you saw yourself as holier than him then no, go on your way.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Yes, long before your 'church'. Tell me, is there salvation for those who reject YOUR institution?

:rolleyes:
It is not my Church. It is the Church of Jesus Christ. And whoever refused to unite himself with Christ is probably not saved. The Apostles led the way on how one is united to Christ. They let to us the Holy Sacraments (instituted by Jesus) that are received in His Church. Do what you want, but that is the Plan of Salvation.

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
I will take D
I would not judge that Pastor
But, I think that is some weak sauce
To me the Pastor has it bassackwards
When dealing with sinner men/women, i.e. the public
He and his church should be giving, not begging or selling
Preach the Word
Hand out Bibles
Witness
Proclaim the Good News
Feed the poor
Give, not receive

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

D) Something else
I hang out with nice, decent, sober, and moral folks regardless of their religious (or non-religious) leanings. I have good Mormon and Catholic friends who I will hike or shoot with. I work with some really good dudes who I don't suspect share my religious leanings. I'm certain that many of us would disagree vehemently on doctrinal issues but that doesn't make me like them any less.

On the other hand, I have family members who share most of my doctrinal conclusions whom I have little to nothing to do with.

There's the old biblical saying: "ye shall know them by their fruits." If a person treats others with love and kindness then that's my kind of person. If a person talks crap about everyone behind their back and causes dissension or bitterness or ill-feelings then I would just as soon not have anything to do with that person.

Like OH, my walk with Christ is my own. I have to be in the world ... not of the world. I have lots of friends who observe Christmas and Easter and Halloween and other pagan practices. That's up to them and it's between them and Christ. I choose not to and if anyone asks why ... I will tell them in a loving and kind manner without appearing to point a finger at them. Hopefully, I can plant a seed or two but I'm not the ultimate Judge. I have enough shortcomings to deal with. I don't have time to point out everyone else's flaws.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts

D) Something else
D. The Nicene Creed and respect for God's moral law.

If you're out advocating for Arianism, homosexuality, or women preachers there's really no point in fellowshipping.

I also tend to avoid Pentecostals.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,922 Posts
I had a church where they were helpful in some regards.

But the pastor told me it was a sin to take my mental illness meds. For bipolar and schizophrenia. That I was "addicted" to my medication. Kept harping on that I had demonic oppression, not a mental illness, and I had to throw away my pills.

You would have seen me on the news for chopping my abusive husband into itty bitty bits.

Then he sent a guy who admitted to abusing his wife, who left with help from the Women's Center (battered women's shelter) to come over and lecture us on how to conduct a proper marriage, that I was "sinning" by "uncovering" my husband's sin online and my husband was "making" me depressed (I thought it was the demons?)

Needless to say we stopped attending. That really burned me out for quite a bit on churches.

We would like to find a decent church. One that will be understanding and Biblical, and needless to say supportive of the fact I take medication.

I could see if I had told him I was taking sleeping or anxiety medications but none of what I take does that. And, at the end of the day, it wasn't his business.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I had a church where they were helpful in some regards.

But the pastor told me it was a sin to take my mental illness meds. For bipolar and schizophrenia. That I was "addicted" to my medication. Kept harping on that I had demonic oppression, not a mental illness, and I had to throw away my pills.

You would have seen me on the news for chopping my abusive husband into itty bitty bits.

Then he sent a guy who admitted to abusing his wife, who left with help from the Women's Center (battered women's shelter) to come over and lecture us on how to conduct a proper marriage, that I was "sinning" by "uncovering" my husband's sin online and my husband was "making" me depressed (I thought it was the demons?)

Needless to say we stopped attending. That really burned me out for quite a bit on churches.

We would like to find a decent church. One that will be understanding and Biblical, and needless to say supportive of the fact I take medication.

I could see if I had told him I was taking sleeping or anxiety medications but none of what I take does that. And, at the end of the day, it wasn't his business.
Try an Orthodox Church. I'll pull a Trump for you: "What do you have to lose?"

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Here is one you might not have heard.

see if a church is wired into the "cloud" If so, their doctrine maybe global and not spiritual. You share your congregation with the government, then I will go some where else.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts