Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to buy wheat berries at Walmart, about 10 years ago. Then they stopped selling bags of them. I think they were 25 pounders.

Also bought at health food store out in the stix, but they went out of biz years ago. I had given up on milling flour and just bought whole wheat flour at the store.

I don't use 100% whole wheat. I like my bread about half unbleached white and half whole wheat. So that helps me out some. I got about 30 pounds of half and half flour for baking. I used to keep 50 pounds of half and half flour on hand, but slacked off. Then virus hit and no whole wheat flour for about 4 weeks now. Had no idea the people like whole wheat in an emergency.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,237 Posts
We buy organic non-GMO wheat berries on Amazon, five pounds at a time. Several of our dogs are grazers so we plant wheat grass for them to munch on.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,731 Posts
The LDS cannery is where I bought a few sacks of wheat as a prep when that Fortchen book came out, "One second after".

Don't know if they still sell to non church members or not now.

Here is their order form.

https://providentliving.churchofjes...ge/home-storage-center-locations-map?lang=eng

Maybe try a local CO-OP?

https://www.coopelev.com/products/co-op-wheat/

looks like there is an online marketplace to buy grain direct from farmers
https://www.agweb.com/article/buying-grain-at-a-farmers-doorstep-chris-bennett

Grainster.com

https://grainster.com/

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Some places that sell livestock feed sell it in 40 or 50# bags, for feed prices like $10-17. This is wheat that has only been double cleaned not triple cleaned like people food is supposed to be. So before you grind it it wouldn't hurt to spread it out and pick out non wheat. Also some places don't label what variety it is so you might not be getting hard red if that is what you want. I have put up a lot of this stuff because of the price. If it wont make good bread I can always just crack it and make porrage.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,731 Posts
I go to the farmer and buy it by the bushel right out of the gravity wagon. I think I paid about $60 for 1100 pounds.
Any hints on how you find a nearby wheat farmer or do you live near one that is hard to miss?

The bulk wheat I bought from LDS was pretty cheap when I bought it years ago. like 7 dollars per 50 lb bag.

·
Golfer
4,367 Posts
Hendrick Grain co, 3 miles East of downtown Houston, was $17 per 50 lb bag, though it had been sitting a few months and had weevils. Later I went to the source, M-G Farm Service Center, 201 E Post Office St, in Weimar and the price was $7.00 I believe. I picked up a bag of Millet while I was there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
To clarify my above post.....

My recent experience ordering from the LDS food storage being out of stock was with their online store that ships.
I cannot speak to their walk-in stores / pantries.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Some places that sell livestock feed sell it in 40 or 50# bags, for feed prices like $10-17. This is wheat that has only been double cleaned not triple cleaned like people food is supposed to be. So before you grind it it wouldn't hurt to spread it out and pick out non wheat. Also some places don't label what variety it is so you might not be getting hard red if that is what you want. I have put up a lot of this stuff because of the price. If it wont make good bread I can always just crack it and make porrage.
This is what I did about 10 years ago. Red wheat, rolled oats and barley. All are still well sealed in mylar. The wheat definitely has to be cleaned/washed before use because it has small stones and dirt right out of the bag. Milled just fine.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I tried livestock quality rolled oats, the bag I bought was so full of chaff that it was inedible. The chickens like it. I have also bought livestock whole feed corn which was nice and clean. Should make some good cornmeal.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,349 Posts
Rainy Day Foods has some but lead time on shipping is months last I checked.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
If the grain you buy is too dirty you can clean it up by pouring it back and forth between two buckets in front of a fan or in a breeze.

I was just talking to a farmer today about his corn crop and he told me the only difference on his end between human food grade and animal feed is which direction the truck turns when leaving the driveway.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
To justme11, when you see it being combined, stop and ask. Or in late July when it is being harvested look on craigslist or marketplace for people selling wheat straw, or oat straw, or rye straw or barley straw. Usually if they are selling straw around that means they just harvested their crop. Contact them and ask if they will sell you some.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found out Walmart still sells wheat berries, at least online supposedly.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wheat-Mo...-Red-Spring-Wheat-Berries-50-Lb-Bag/683076163

But they are out of stock. Checked with a few of the other distributors within 75 miles or so that was listed by Montana Wheat and nobody has it. It has been 4 weeks and cannot get any whole wheat flour. And I'm just one little person for needs. I'd be happy to get a couple of 5 pound bags of whole wheat flour. Glad I don't have to provide for a family of 12.

What I can't figure out is how Walmart sells #50 pound of wheat berries for $107 and you can buy 50 pounds of whole wheat flour (when in stock) for $ +/- $38.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,731 Posts
To justme11, when you see it being combined, stop and ask. Or in late July when it is being harvested look on craigslist or marketplace for people selling wheat straw, or oat straw, or rye straw or barley straw. Usually if they are selling straw around that means they just harvested their crop. Contact them and ask if they will sell you some.
Assuming you are in wheat country.

Texas seems to mainly grow corn and cotton. and sorghum (milo)

I suppose they plant a lot of wheat and just let the cattle harvest it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
some places that sell livestock feed sell it in 40 or 50# bags, for feed prices like $10-17. This is wheat that has only been double cleaned not triple cleaned like people food is supposed to be. So before you grind it it wouldn't hurt to spread it out and pick out non wheat. Also some places don't label what variety it is so you might not be getting hard red if that is what you want. I have put up a lot of this stuff because of the price. If it wont make good bread i can always just crack it and make porrage.

you do not have to crack it............to cook it in water.....and eat it with honey

it is great

1 - 20 of 25 Posts