Votes: 22 18.2%
  • other(specify)

Votes: 7 5.8%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing people getting sweet deals on guns, but seems like they hide from me. I've always bought from a gun shop. I've see some alright deals online, but I know I could do better and I don't trust private sells. So to the more experienced gun buyers. Where do you look first when buying your firearms? Where have you gotten the best value in guns?

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I buy my long guns here:

http://classicarms.us/

When you are buying 3rd world ak's though beware you will need to take it to a gunsmith to have it tweaked into good shooting condition. In the end you have a reliable inexpensive weapon.

For handguns I just go to my FFL and tell him what I want, since I keep his store computers running for him, he just charges me $20 over cost.

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
In Canada the best deals are on the internet. The local mom and pop gun shop can't reach the same number of people that a web store can, and can't match the web store's prices either.

All of my firearms purchases have involved the internet - all but one were ordered exclusively online. The store I bought my first firearm from doesn't do online ordering, but their website has a pretty close to real-time inventory of their firearms. I knew that they had what I wanted in stock, called them with the item number, and picked it up/paid for it a couple of days later.

And almost all of my ammo purchases have been online too, for three reasons - price, convenience, and more stock than the local shops.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts
Multiple places, gun shops, private sales, built my own.

When I bought my first handgun a few years ago, I'd previously tried out and used on the range a gun at a shop that is out of state. They worked with me, explained it all, showed me how to grip it, the usual kinds of introductory things.

Naturally, after the efforts to support and explain, I couldn't buy the gun because I was out of state, and shipping to an FFL in-state would have added a lot to the price--plus they didn't want to do that.

So I bought that handgun in-state, but since have directed whatever business I can to the first shop. I recently bought a rifle there, I buy some reloading components from them, and of course use their indoor range at $9/pop.

I've assembled a couple of M4s, bought the upper online, bought the lowers and parts kits.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I buy my guns from word of mouth.A few guys at the bar are in there late 70's and some are starting to sell their stuff because they are hurting.I would love to buy their silver bullion collections from them.They are not stupid so they make me pay dearly.There is plenty of estate sales in my area to find gun deals.This goes with anything you collect.

My wife bring home some real nice old tools from the 1940s and 1950's. One guy I met was a Major in the Army and was selling army surplus to raise money for his hurt guys.I bought several items at a fair price. I paid a little more than usually for a few items to help our troops and gave him a small donation to help his guys. I sat there for two hour listening to him explain things to me.This guy was a survivalist big time and what he told me about the war going on was terrible.

A few years back I hit the jackpot with a estate sale my cop buddies heard about.This guy had a arsenal that was unbelievable.I only brought 5000.00 but my friends who owns a gun store in my area brought over 15,000. This guys basement was stacked to the ceilings with ammo.The house was huge and I seen over a dozen safes. All his safes were open and a few had gun drawers filled with pistols.On the floor was 15 rifle racks filled with war rifles of every kind.

I never seen so many AK47 rifles in my life. All the AK47's were going for 350.00 a piece. There was a lot of Polytech and Arsenal in the racks but no Russian AK's that I could find. I found a dozen Russian pistols and I grabbed 4 of them for 200.00 a piece.He had several m14 rifles so I grabbed 2 of them FOR 650.00 a piece. Stupid me ,I should of took all of them.

I found a shotgun rack in one of his safes and there was 2 brand new Mossberg 590a1 shotguns with bayonets. I grabbed them for 350.00 each. I found a few old Beretta pistols and took a 380 and one 9mm for 140.00 a piece. I found a like new 45 llama in one of his drawers. I bought that pistol with 2 magazines for 275.00.

Six of us were in my buddies 1 ton truck, so room was becoming a issue.These guys with me were all gun collectors and were there for the ammo.These guys looked at the guns, but they wanted that ammo.My one buddies friend who I just met that day bought 15,000 in 50 caliber ammo for his gun club. He came back for it the next day after making a deal on it. I grabbed 2 cases of 7.62 x51 and one case of 7.62x54 for 200.00 a case. I needed magazines for my new M14 rifles so I started digging in his magazine boxes. I bought 6 mags for 100.00 bucks.

Out of all these guns the guy had one AR15. This guy still has a rack of sks rifle that he sells for 200.00 bucks each.I need to go back out there and grab all his Arsenal ak47 rifles and all of his SKS. I didn't know much about AK47 rifles and what was considered the best back then. I sure do now.I have learned a great deal reading this forum.This guy must be a survivalist since I noticed he had racks filled with soap and toilet paper. One gun that I really like was his 50 caliber rifle mounted on a special bipod he was selling it for 10,000.

I need to call this guy up and see if hes selling his dads silver collection.This guy had some nice race cars to.A friend call me last year and he went to a estate sale where a guy sold him everything as a package deal. I think he paid 18,000 for everything. The ammo and guns were worth over 50,000.

A gun store by me opens up at 10:00am in the morning and I got there early. A old woman and her son were standing by the door waiting for the store to open. Another young guy was also standing there, so we started talking. Both of these people were selling their weapons.The one guy had a like new colt 45 pistol with 2 magazines.This gun was all customized out. The store offered him 350.00 for it. I couldn't believe it.I didn't bring any real money with me that day since I was just picking up my new gun. I didn't know this guys story so I let it past.

The old woman's son comes walking in with a bunch of old shotguns.These were some serious money guns. I know shotgun and I knew what I was looking at. The gun in front of me were worth over 10,000 easily.The store guy tried offering her a 1000.00 bucks. I had to say something at this point.This woman was considering it. Her husband just died and she didn't know what to do.I was very tempted to make her a reasonable offer.I don't have a need for these type shotguns. They were double barrel and over and under shotguns. Selling guns in Illinois is a pain in the ass so people try taking there guns to the gun stores. I told the old lady to hold off on selling them and get help from her husbands shooting friends.She left with her guns.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We have gun shows down here almost every weekend and gun shops on every corner.

My purchases have been guns how and gun shop. Probably need to shift that to private sale.

·
1,313 Posts
I find I get better prices being a regular customer at the gun shop. I can take in an ad or online deal and they always match or beat the price.

·
Aint life grand
621 Posts
I get mine mostly from the internet. Shipping/receiving FFL is usually cheaper than the taxes would be.

Another great source is gun shows. Joe Bob sees the must have gun of the decade in a magazine. He saves up for it, shoots it a few times until he sees the next must have gun of the decade in another magazine. In order to buy it, he has to sell the last one he had to have. You can usually get it at a great price.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Most of my recent purchases (past 10 years) have been through a local gun dealer, academy sports and outdoors, and wal-mart.

·
What would Mal do
4,778 Posts
vote: Other

he calls himself Rufus.

Hangs out down on 5th and Trade Street where the girls work cheap.

You tell him what you are looking for...Glock, Springer, Colt

He'll get you a clean one...cash in the bottom of a Burger King bag..be sure the fries are warm n fresh.

:rolleyes:

·
What would Mal do
4,778 Posts
best deals can be had by loitering at the local gun store.

someone will come in needing to seel a $1,000 retail gun. Used in the counter it'd likely price out around $750.
the gun shop will offer the guy maybe $200..which he just won't be able to accept.
follow him to the parking lot and offer him $450.

Seriously - I've been satisfied with a couple gun shop buys where they had a particular gun that I wanted. I knew they had gotten it really cheap and that I was paying considerably more than they did for it, but they are in the biz, have overhead etc to consider. I appreciate the local owners and support them on ammo, accessories, so why not pay their markup (minus a bit of haggling) for a used gun.

that said, I always keep cash in my wallet for the opportunity buy. some guy in a larger circle of friends will want to sell something and cash talks at that moment.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The bad news - state restrictions , regulations and paper work caused a lot gun dealers to go out of buisness and some sporting goods stores to stop selling guns . Some still sell longguns but don't sell handguns anymore . Wallmart stopped selling handguns about 10 years ago and stopped selling long guns about 2 yrs ago .
The good news - the gun dealer where I buy guns & ammo is one of the few dealers that stayed in buisness . Because they are one of the few gun dealers left they have a very high volume buisness . It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day you go there - It's always packed with customers . Because of the high volume they can offer lower prices and some really good deals on guns and ammo . They also buy and sell used guns .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts