Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the past couple months trying to find the best survival forum/videos/source on the internet. Now that I have found it, I'm not sure where to begin. I am honestly overwhelmed with the amount of information, advice, and files.

The question: Where to begin?!?!

My Background: I grew up in the 'Burbs. While I have enjoyed hiking, backpacking, and fishing as hobbies, that is pretty much the extent of my experience with the outdoors. My family's priority has always been education, and while I am eternally grateful for their support and my opportunities to achieve, I also recognize that my status as a middle class suburbanite has rendered me a "noob" of survival. In other words, I may know the writings of Locke and the experiments of Edward Jenner, but I lack the education of the land and world. I'm hoping to be your run-of-the-mill mainstream "survivalist" - one who lives in the 'burbs but also has a place out in the woods to fall back on

I would love to hear from people in a similar situation to me, and I'd also love to get advice from those who have lived this type of life from the first day out of the womb.

I really want to learn the following skills:
1.) Hunting - The problem is that I have never fired a gun. I don't even know if you hunt with a shotgun, rifle, or both. I don't even know if a shotgun and a rifle are the same thing haha. Where do I start?

2.) Farming - Any recommendations on how to get into farming. I'm currently an urbanite, so I guess I'd like to start growing some veggies on my back porch of my apartment. I live in the southeast if that helps to know my climate

3.) Further fishing advice - I only know how to catch a few kinds of fish

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know you guys better

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
my suggestion is start reading, asking questions,and getting into the woods. Start with the basics: FOOD, WATER, SHELTER. Start by stocking up on food water etc. Never fired a gun? find a local target range most of them give lessons on firearm safety. Or ask a friend or co-worker to teach you. I would start by making a list (or finding one on here) and put together a "72"hour kit then build from there. Captain daves survival guide has some decent lists to use for putting a kit together. I'm sure they have them here too, But that was the first site I found. The guys and gals on these forums are great and will do what they can to lead you in the right direction. They are your new family.:thumb:

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
There is also a section on ..
Guns
Fishing
Hunting
Gardening
So Bru, read, absorb, ask questions and get ready to be educated in the way of outdoors.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
"I live in the southeast if that helps to know my climate".

Send me a PM and see if we can arrange a meet some weekend. We're both from SE Georgia. If you're serious about wanting to learn the basic's, never to late to start.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
from one urbanite noob to another, here is my opinion.

When you start something you should start small. If you want to get fit you do not start by running a marathon. Yes, there is a tremendous amount of information out there. Store what you can. Think about your goals. Having 'a place in the woods' is a fine goal but do not throw away the present by depending on the future. You will not have a survival garden overnight so you need to buy your food preps just like you do now. Learning bush craft, hunting, and wilderness survival will take years so you need to keep your house in order in the mean time. Homesteading is a lifetime endeavour. Be realistic about your needs for the short, medium, and long term.

If you ain't got your health then you got nothing. Start with building a nutritious diet and exercise plan. While you are doing that work on your food preps. Food is never going to go out of style. Start with three days, then two weeks, then three months.

Build a BOB (GO bag, ditch kit, INCH bag, scat bag, whatever you want to call it) but make sure it is realistic for your needs not for John Rambo.

Asses the real dangers for your area. Will you face blizzards, hurricanes, floods, riots, loss of electricity? Put together plans to deal with these situations. Start stocking the gear you need as well.

Survival is not a kit. You can not make a list and go buy it. Stuff, it great. Tools are important. However, even the best gear is not a shield. The mindset is the most important thing. Keep your wits about you. Learn from everything and everyone. Practice your skills.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Get some weapons and ammo pronto. Then food and gold. Flea Markets have loads of stuff and yard sales too. Nothing like going to the ex military guys yard sale when he has stuff for pennies on the dollar. 24 dollar bullet proof vest. ten dollar parka, canteens, cups, pouches, binocs, etc all cheaper than dare say the internet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Rabbits are good in the 'burbs. They are quiet and they produce LOTS of fertilizer for your garden.... and you can grow worms under the cages.
Rabbit manure is also very cool and you can put it on your plants w/o burning them.

Source: me raising 50 rabbits and digging the poo out from under their cages...piling some poo on hard ground....throwing some squash seeds in the pile...watering...voila squash. It's amazing!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Buy 3 guns... 1 a hunting rifle.. 2 a shot gun.. 3 a pistol... buy 1000 rds of ammo for each..

get at least a .270 for the rifle.. get a 12guage shot gun and when it comes to a pistol, make sure the ammo for it begins with a 4 -- .40 cal, .44 or .45.. any of those will knock a man down! regardless of where you hit him...

then, I would suggest a battle rifle.. like an AK-47 or a AR-15...

Guns will serve as line 1 of your survival gear.. all the preps in the world will not help you if you cannot defend them or your family.... the first 2 guns, are for getting game first.. then for self defense.. the rifle for big game, the shotgun for smaller game, and birds.. the pistol is for self defense.. then get the MBR for holding down the fort...

Next.. start with a 6 month supply of food.. lots of canned goods, and stuff your family eats on a regular basis... after the 6 months supply, then go half and half between the next 6 months of regular food, and then the stuff like 5 gallon containers of rice and beans and staple foods that you can use to get by, and eventually learn to make breads etc with grains and things like that...

Alot of people tell you to buy bulk grains, and beans, and rice.. but.. you have to ask yourself.. if somebody gave you a sack of grain.. could you make food out of it??? I know right now, I might be able to make it into flour.. but thats about it... to take raw food, and turn it into something that you will actually eat, is not just going to happen overnight... its a learned skill, and like any skill, it will take time and practice in order to become proficient at it.

the whole point here, is that in order to "survive" you will need food and water, and a way to protect it... and yes you can go to the store, and purchase everything you will need to do that, for how ever long you think you will need to prepare for.. a week - a year.. 5 years.. if you have enough $$$ you can buy your survival for the short term...

to truly "survive" you will need to learn how people lived back before we had wal-marts and the like.. where people went "to town" maybe once a month..

Plant a garden this spring.. learn how to grow food... go hunting / fishing .. learn to get the game / clean it / cook it... go camping.. learn to make fire from scratch.. when you do go camping.. do it a minimally as possible... ween yourself of gear each time you go.. if you want to be hard core.. get to the point where you get dropped off in a secluded area with the clothes on your back, and a good knife... stay out there for a week...

there IS alot of information to digest.. you can read 1000's of books and websites, and you can talk and discuss things forever and a day... but it wont mean jack until you actually get out there and DO IT>> use your mind!! exercise your BRAIN!! Your brain is your most important tool you have... use it.. think creatively about things you come across.. how can you use them to survive...

Survival isnt books, or 10 years worth of food stores, or thousands of dollars of gear...

Survival is using your BRAIN to live for another day!

Good luck.

-MadMike

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
If you are just starting--then you are way, way too late.
Unless you have a lot of expendable cash. And I mean a lot, there is little you can do now.

You will have to devote full-time, with lots of money (while it's still good), over the next couple of months to play some big-time catch up.

If not I suggest that you tune into NASCAR or the WWF to pass the time until you go down burning and screaming.

I'm not trying to be funny. But this is the truth.
It's good that you woke up, but it was somewhat late.
And like the guy mentioned above--it's not all about gear and guns.
It's about getting your mind right... and I honestly don't see how you can do it in the time that is left.

Now maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there will not be bank holidays early next year. Maybe the dollar won't be devalued by 40 to 50 or perhaps 90 percent. Maybe the govenment will not default and our money will not become virtually worthless. Perhaps people in the USA will not rise up in indignation as in Iceland right now. Maybe your job and bank accounts are safe.

But there are a whole lot of maybes in the above paragraph, and if one or more come true--you're screwed.

If you haven't got it already, I am not an optimist.

Question: what made you wake up? Now?

T

·
Iēsous
8,792 Posts
I spent the past couple months trying to find the best survival forum/videos/source on the internet. Now that I have found it, I'm not sure where to begin. I am honestly overwhelmed with the amount of information, advice, and files.

The question: Where to begin?!?!

My Background: I grew up in the 'Burbs. While I have enjoyed hiking, backpacking, and fishing as hobbies, that is pretty much the extent of my experience with the outdoors. My family's priority has always been education, and while I am eternally grateful for their support and my opportunities to achieve, I also recognize that my status as a middle class suburbanite has rendered me a "noob" of survival. In other words, I may know the writings of Locke and the experiments of Edward Jenner, but I lack the education of the land and world. I'm hoping to be your run-of-the-mill mainstream "survivalist" - one who lives in the 'burbs but also has a place out in the woods to fall back on

I would love to hear from people in a similar situation to me, and I'd also love to get advice from those who have lived this type of life from the first day out of the womb.

I really want to learn the following skills:
1.) Hunting - The problem is that I have never fired a gun. I don't even know if you hunt with a shotgun, rifle, or both. I don't even know if a shotgun and a rifle are the same thing haha. Where do I start?

2.) Farming - Any recommendations on how to get into farming. I'm currently an urbanite, so I guess I'd like to start growing some veggies on my back porch of my apartment. I live in the southeast if that helps to know my climate

3.) Further fishing advice - I only know how to catch a few kinds of fish

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know you guys better
Einstein called it a thought experiment, so may i propose on ?

First set a date to cut you main circuit breaker to your house off, plan

for what you will need for 24 hours with no power.

Trust me as you sit there and finally have time to think you will start to
become aware of things you should brought, things that would make it more comfortable, warmer, safer.

where could you run too if you had too? can you tote your new ''house' there? can you make it warm...etc....

Your mind should consider food and how you will cook it, bathing,all the things life makes necessary, and hopefully you will learn much.

You sound like you have the wallet for it--i say get a food calculator

and figure out how much food you can afford right now for a long time and get it, the non perishables

Walton's feed is a good place to start.

shotgun is not a rifle, but since your a newb it is perfect for you.

you don't have to aim it precisely at certain ranges to get a pattern that will
ruin someones day

Do not tell anyone your stocking up.

If you have the money think about what will you live in if you have to flee

internment and get it [tents, 10x10 or bigger pre built wood storage building

a trailer to haul all your stuff and a place to haul it to.

THAT is the biggie, and it is up for debate,

What i am going to do is hide in the woods [we have them here]

Pic a ****ty place no one wants to go like a swamp and call it home.

Good luck

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Forget this guy... he's doomed.
Nothing, no advice, no ammount of prayers will help.
Take that back.... pray for him.

The bow of the Titanic just slipped underwater, and we're going to advise him on which lifeboat to select?!!

Please!!

No offense to the thread starter--sorry.

T

Alright... start with a couple bags of rice from Costco, after that grab what you can.

Also look at this site-- thepiratebay.com.
Look for the downloads by this guy....

http://thepiratebay.org/user/x_DontTreadOnMe_x/

These are the links to all his posts.
There are dozens and dozens of books and vids available.
They are all completely relevant to what we need.
It doesn't matter anymore regarding the method you get these now--time is too short.
I suggest you get everything you can.

·
Registered
246 Posts

The Titanic is going down by the nose, and we're going to advise him on which lifeboat to select?!!

Please!!

T
706 people survived the Titanic - in lifeboats.

I'm just sayin'...

:D:

·
Iēsous
8,792 Posts

The Titanic is going down by the nose, and we're going to advise him on which lifeboat to select?!!

Please!!

T
Since he still may have time, though only a little, I have to say thats a bit harsh.

I'm of the opinion that men , most learn real fast when there lives depend on it

I hope the op is one of them cause his life depends on learning quick

spending now while the dollar will still buy you something

Now i don't mean to make an ass of you, no offense you do a smashing good job of that yourself

but in your own words and i quote ''The Titanic is going down by the nose, and we're going to advise him on which lifeboat to select?!!

Yes you duffus, the folks on the LIFEBOATS LIVED!!!!!!

you know survivors, survival, survivalist get it?

·
Registered
678 Posts
If I was starting now, and assuming I had either money saved or credit I would go to Sams/BJ/Costco and buy. I'd buy along these rough guidelines

For each person I'd want a minimum of a months worth of food. If you can do more, do it. It would perhaps be best to do a month at a time? Storing it will be work! I have about 6 months of this type of food.

very roughly, using grocery store type food, that is a can of meat, vegetables, fruit and some starch each day, per person. Get it now, figure out how to combine it later.

the starch can be some combination of crackers, cereal, oatmeal, rice and flour(assuming you can make tortillas biscuits or bread)

get a case of water per person as a start.
a big pack of TP, paper towels per person
vitamins (multi and C) to last everyone 6 months

bleach and coffee filters can make you drinkable water.
powdered drink mix can make that water taste good.
medicenes and such are too complicated to adress in a post. How about buying 3 of anything you use? Its a good start.

After you have a good base of food in your house, my opinion is to get the guns and ammo. I really think a sturdy shotgun(I have a Mossberg 500 model) and an equally sturdy handgun with 200 rounds each is a good start. more ammo is better, of course.

after this is in your possesion, read. You have a lot to learn, but you will be learning with the security of several months worth of food and some basic self protection in your possesion.

Reactions: Motherhen

·
Iēsous
8,792 Posts
ya don't listen to my financial advice lol, but now might be the time to max out

those cards if you can on food, if the dollar collapses--a 25% chance in my mind then you could wake up one day and 500 buck might not be enough to buy an egg

again i don't want you to ruin your credit

or to spend in a way that does not justify a 25% chance of collapse

Only in a way that if the collapse does not happen [75% chance in my mind]

you can still pay it back.and not experience hardship..........but if the collapse does happen you got your food and no ones gonna be around to mail you the bill.

In another words forget the plasma hd bla bla.......go food

some folks say it will all fall apart in 20-90 days!!!!

they COULD be wrong

they could be right

do what you feel you got to do --good luck

·
Registered
246 Posts
Recipe:

Heather's Wilderness Skillet Surprise

1 52" plasma TV
3 Cups Zuchinni
1 Cup Tomatoes
1 Cup Onions
2 Chicken Breasts
Rice
Salt, Pepper, Garlic to taste

Build a nice fire...

Lay plasma TV flat across two stumps.
Use TV as cutting board for ingredients listed above.
Saute in pan over fire, make rice.

Wipe TV down. Tomorrow is another day and you will need your $3000 cutting board again I am sure.

Enjoy dinner while staring at the pretty fire.

Yum, Yum.

:thumb:

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Any start is better than no start......

ignore takezo and his comments..

everyones perspective is different, what they feel may be time might not be what you feel is the time ( if that makes sense)

do lots of reading and lots of practicing.

if you can take a firearms couse to see what firearm you feel most comfortable with.

buy the food you eat now with respect to canned goods, pastas and what not.

purchase water storage containers and store as much as you can.

buy a tent big enough for you and your family incase you need to evac or just leave.

buy some quality camping gear.

any start is better than not doing anything

1 - 20 of 39 Posts