Survivalist Forum banner

Where can I get a custom sheath for my Gerber profile?

13K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Hibrion 
#1 ·
I got my gerber profile from walmart for $18. I replaced the handle scales with 550, and I really like it. My only problem is that the sheath is already falling apart and its only been a month. Do you know where I can get a sheath for the Profile? Material does not matter to me, I've used leather, kydex, and nylon, and I've never ran into any problems with any of them. I'd like to keep the cost less than $30, but will go up to $50, Cause I only paid $18 for the knife to begin with.

#2 ·
If I may... I've owned 3 of these particular knives. The first one served me well for about a year or so. I wore it everyday, everywhere, especially work. And yes the sheath started coming apart at the bottom from bending down, and twisting, and getting on, and off equipment. The first one, I let go for quite a while, then I used duct tape to get by until I found another sheath. It held for a while but eventually the whole thing got so deteriorated that I lost it on the job one day, knife and sheath, while laying some track, never to be seen again. So I got anther one about a week later. I taped it immediately to prevent wear and tear from ruining it as quickly. I thought this would work fantastically. But I never got the chance to find out. One day on the job, we had to lay some pipe under some existing track. There was a collapse in the earthwork, and I got buried under tons of earth and pipe in the end I was cut out of my clothes and lost the knife{along with my wallet, jeans, boots, underwear, and some dignity}. Well I got the third knife for Christmas from my wife and taped up the sheath immediatley, and have worked it pretty hard since then, and the only wear and tear has been on the duct tape[ camo duct tape BTW]. And that's easy to replace. I might add that having that tiny little stash of tape on my person has been quite handy at least 5 times now. It's not an idea for a new sheath, I know but maybe it'll help you limp it along until you find one. Good luck!!!

#4 ·

Hey daniel, how is the gerber profile in regards to bush use?, i just received a Spyderco Forager i found for a really good price and i love it, it's overall 14" though, and i would like a smaller knife for more detailed use, not that is not capable of it...but why not!, and with the gerber being less then $20 it seems like it could fit the bill and not worry about beating on it hard

#7 ·
Hey daniel, how is the gerber profile in regards to bush use?, i just received a Spyderco Forager i found for a really good price and i love it, it's overall 14" though, and i would like a smaller knife for more detailed use, not that is not capable of it...but why not!, and with the gerber being less then $20 it seems like it could fit the bill and not worry about beating on it hard
honestly for its price, yes, it is a very nice knife. I was able to chop a 2" dia tree, baton it, and feather it, and its was still shaving sharp after. Keep in mind that I put my own edge on it before, but just a simple one at that. The handles werent that bad, but I like the paracord wrap better. So beat on it, and it will hold up.

#8 ·
Why not pick up a piece of Kydex and do it yourself? an 8X11" sheet of kydex can be had relatively easily, and with a heat gun or torch (what I used) you can make one yourself. You could get some hard leather and an awl too. Wet the leather, form the sheath, and stick it for added strength.

On a related note, I have lots of Gerber knives and tools, I had a sheath crap out really early on, called their CS line and talked to a really nice lady. 3 weeks later I had a new sheath in my mailbox. She said they don't do it often, but b/c the knife was so new they would.

#15 ·
+1 on making your own. Order a sheet or two of kydex and do a search on you tube for how to make a sheath. It is easy, relatively cheap and you can make exactly what you want. I actually have some kydex on the way at the moment as I plan on making a sheath for a knife I recently finished for my girlfriend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.