Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I used the search feature, and to my suprise I could not find a single source to buy bulk beans. I found plenty of threads about storing said beans, but none on where to buy them in the first place.

When I went through my personal SHTF last year, I survived on stocks I made for Y2K. A large amount was dried beans I made into soups (Very yummy soups I might add). They were all bought over time at local grocery stores in small packages.

In an attempt to save money, this time around, I want to buy beans in bulk if I can. I want a large variety of single beans,and common soup mixes if possible. I will then dry and store veggies with them as well as bullion.

Can anyone post links to good suppliers?

THANKS!!

·
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want all varieties. I am thinking in 1 to 5 gallon containers.

If I could buy 50lbs of a good soup mix, that would be perfect to start, but I also want each bean stored solo so i can make different recipes out of them.

·
Born to prep
3,754 Posts
I just buy mine at Dollar General $1-2.00 a bag. Rice is $5.50 for a 10# bag that is up from $4.75. The thing is buying them one bag at a time helps when rotating them, date the bags as you buy them and use the oldest first. I store mine in popcorn tins.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
...but I also want each bean stored solo...
Assuming thats a typo...:eek:

Pinto beans I get from Costco in 25# bags from the pallet. Black beans and red chili beans I haven't been able to find in bulk locally so I just buy the 2# bags. Forget trying to find mung beans for sprouting. Black beans are going for about 3.50 and the red for about 2.50 per 2# bag. One pound bags of 16 bean soup mix is about 2.50-3.00.

I was just looking at the Walton Feed link posted above and I think that's where I'll start ordering from. Great variety in both product's and packaging quantities.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Find someone who is Mormon and get to know them really well. The Mormon Church stores have all kinds of bulk food at great prices. I have not been yet, but I have a few friends that are Mormon and they have their stuff together with disaster/emergency preparedness.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may also want to consider bulkfoods.com where I get mine . Not the cheapest but not bad either and only $ 5.oo shipping. I get their 55 lb sacks of mung beans ( yes, they sprout well ) and whole green peas which are sometimes hard to find. Very pleased with their service and extensive product selection.
Para

·
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may also want to consider bulkfoods.com where I get mine . Not the cheapest but not bad either and only $ 5.oo shipping. I get their 55 lb sacks of mung beans ( yes, they sprout well ) and whole green peas which are sometimes hard to find. Very pleased with their service and extensive product selection.
Para
55# bag of mung beans? WOW. Considering all the uses mung beans have in martial arts iron Body training, I am surprised I have never seen quantities this big when buying them before!!! THANKS!!

I am not really going to sprout them, although that is a great idea. I was looking to stock mung beans for when I begin to take on new students again. That is really going to help that project!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Any store that sells bulk food that has them, ask them to order you an extra bag or two. That's what I do here and when I buy a 25 or 50# bag of anything they give it to me at Cost+10%. Even if the store sells only some bulk food, ask them if you can see thier list to order from. Most times they let you do that.

·
Keeping it Simple
1,074 Posts
Here is the number for the LDS Canery in Chicago. If it is too far call them maybe they know of a closer one. They have great prices, different sizes in #10 cans, 6-7 lbs bags and #25 lb bags. You pack it yourself or they do it for you and it costs a few dollars more. Beans are cheap, Pinto Beans #10 can=$4.65, Black Beans=$4.45, White Beans=$4.25. Attaching the order form.

IL - Naperville (Chicago)

Phone (630) 369-1379
Address 31 West 175 Diehl Road
Naperville, Illinois 60563

·
Chat Addict
98 Posts
I buy bulk foods from here ... http://www.clnf.org/ ... however to avoid shipping costs you need to be on one of their truck routes, and order a min of (I think) $500 .... My church has several members go in on orders so its not just me ...

~R

·
Officer Friendly
1,158 Posts
I have been shopping around also and I have come to the conclusion that it is almost better to just order the super pails from emrgency essentials than to do it your self. The price of the pails is only a little more than the price of ordering bulk for equal amounts. Add in the cost of buckets, o2 absorbers and mylar bags and I think I will just be ordering from them next time.

I found a good deal on bulk rice at Walmart, but the nobody around me sells bulk beans or grain. :-(

$35.99 for 25 pounds of lentils in a bag http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/beans-lentils25lb1.aspx

$56.95 for 44 pounds of lentils already packed in a bucket with mylar and o2 absorbers http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FS P290

I'm just going to order from them next time and not have to deal with the hassle of packing it myself.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
55# bag of mung beans? WOW. Considering all the uses mung beans have in martial arts iron Body training, I am surprised I have never seen quantities this big when buying them before!!! THANKS!!

I am not really going to sprout them, although that is a great idea. I was looking to stock mung beans for when I begin to take on new students again. That is really going to help that project!!
Ok, I gotta ask. How are you using them?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.