Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Adventurer
1,212 Posts
Rat traps are great for tree rats!!!
Pressure cooker squirrel is simple to make at home, in an old-school stovetop pressure cooker or in a countertop electric pressure cooker (instant pot).
Yup, classic rat traps catch squirrels and chipmunks alike…… I learned quickly that you need to drill a hole in the corner of the trap and run a Iine of chord through it to tie the trap down to something……Otherwise some bigger squirrels nay run off with them still attached to their neck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I also have dabbled in squirrel fishing. You take some stale bread and make up a bunch of little bread balls, with one containing a tiny fly hook inside. Just peal off the line and sit back 20 yards or so before long, fish on.

I also use the same tactic with a fly rod at a local dam for carp. I am not much for eating carp but grinding them up for supplemental pet food is worth while. The fight on a light fly rod is worth the price of admission.

·
Adventurer
1,212 Posts
I have many thousands of rounds of 22lr Ammo….. It would take decades for me to run out if I was taking well placed shots. Plus I killed a rabbit about 10 years ago with a single .177 caliber pellet at close range (head shot) with my cheap crosman 10 pump air rifle. I have plenty of pellets too. I’m sure I could do that again.

·
Bugged out already
4,583 Posts
If you're having to trap food to stay alive, either you're doing it wrong or something real bad happened to you and your ability to feed yourself from preparations done beforehand. There won't be anything walking-crawling-flying-swiming-slithering-ect 30 days into what I think you're talking about.
1) I don't think anyone has said that trapping will be their sole source of food. If someone did, I missed it in this thread.
2) You are correct that one needs to have plenty of other options available to put food on the table.
3) Your premise that there will be nothing left to hunt or fish is probably correct for the vast majority of the world population. But not for everyone. There are still places where few humans tread and wildlife is abundant. Take the sportsman who fly in to bag game out of the equation and the herds will explode to pre-western contact level.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I also have dabbled in squirrel fishing. You take some stale bread and make up a bunch of little bread balls, with one containing a tiny fly hook inside. Just peal off the line and sit back 20 yards or so before long, fish on.

I also use the same tactic with a fly rod at a local dam for carp. I am not much for eating carp but grinding them up for supplemental pet food is worth while. The fight on a light fly rod is worth the price of admission.
Poachers use fishhooks above sleeping beds to catch Conraua goliath.
Water People in nature Natural environment Organism Flash photography

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check out how scarce deer and large game was during the 30's depression. I live close by a town of 35K people here in montana and they cull the herd of deer that live right in town when it reaches 500 head,
If people miss four meals in a row they will slaughter every animal around whether or not they can prep, eat or store it.
if you are out hunting or fishing and someone else considers that area their hunting ground your life will be forfeit. The term Gilly suit came from the people protecting the dude in the castles hunting ground.
Lewis and clark regularly harvested 20 deer a day to feed the 50 or so people in their party.
Food is cheap to buy and store right now, much better to hunker down and eat a simple diet and survive than have to go out trapping or hunting and risk you life during a major breakdown of the world.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the gist of this thread. I have food preps that will (hopefully) help me and my family of four from starving for a year, should we be able to shelter in place. I have ammo stacked (fairly?) deep for personal and property protection, but who knows how many zombies I may have to deal with. I have the the skill set and equipment for use of snares and some trapping to augment my protein preps, which in my area will consist mostly of rodents and feral cats/dogs, fish. I'm in an urban setting, as far as food on the table, I think .22lr will cover most of my needs. I have plenty of that particular round. If I have to bug out, the same skills and ammo needs will apply.

·
Registered
652 Posts
.22 works just fine and is not a not used for defense (typically) So that is separate from my defensive fighting rifle ammo.

I think if SHTF no one is going to be worried about what traps are legal or illegal or who has what license

as for snares survivor cord makes a 550 cord one with snare wire in it and the other with fireproof Kevlar thread which can also be used to made snares. everyone should have 550 cord why not have some that serves multiple purposed snares tinder fishing line. They have some other stuff on their site that some may find useful.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pressure cooker squirrel is simple to make at home, in an old-school stovetop pressure cooker or in a countertop electric pressure cooker (instant pot).
A native American medicine man (for real) taught me how to use rat traps to catch grouse. I was living in an old mobile home in the woods with a long gravel driveway and had seen grouse when coming and going. I'd set two or three traps out with just a small handful dried corn thrown around and baiting the traps. When I'd come home from work there would always be at least one (more often 2 or 3) grouse in the traps, necks snapped and ready to clean for dinner. Thought he was pulling my leg when he taught me his "ancient Indian hunting secret" but it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
Funny thing. Due to my choices over the decades, I have more bullets than there are people in my county.

And 90% of them would be on my side, so...I’m pretty sure I’m not running out.

As to hunting....not really a great option here. With bullets or traps. Unless you eat jackrabbits. Which I have done, it’s not that bad.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I stock spare ammo and reloading supplies. If I am at my place, not an issue until WAAAAAAAY into the event. Also, a book I read once advised that one should always shop at the enemy's PX.... more ammo.

On top of that, bows for hunting, rods for fishing, and am looking into traps for the first time in decades because I am hoping to get a sizable property.

Heck, if this property works out I have friends promising to teach me crossbow and I'll be picking up one of those.

There are tons of alternatives to bullets.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I don’t think snares are one and done, are they? They’re made of steel aircraft cable or wire. Well, some are, you can buy them.

I’ve reused those big Victor rat traps on animals for pestering me. Those damn bushy tailed wood rats that kept getting in my cabin. Scratching around in the middle the night, trying to get in the dog food. I should’ve eaten one, just for spite.

Somebody on here said he used those traps for squirrels.
The ones I’ve used weren’t. If you make your own from brass or SS wire, I suppose the have a finite lifetime.

leg hold and conibear traps are not damaged in use either, and far more practical to transport than a box trap.

no idea what the OPs point was. Most of us don’t have this fantasy of setting out with only what we can carry on our back. But if that is your fantasy, you should be able to make the ammo last far longer.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
I stock spare ammo and reloading supplies. If I am at my place, not an issue until WAAAAAAAY into the event. Also, a book I read once advised that one should always shop at the enemy's PX.... more ammo.

On top of that, bows for hunting, rods for fishing, and am looking into traps for the first time in decades because I am hoping to get a sizable property.

Heck, if this property works out I have friends promising to teach me crossbow and I'll be picking up one of those.

There are tons of alternatives to bullets.
And every alternative is a compromise.
Crossbows are like heavy single shot guns with limited range. Easy to learn to shoot, slow to reload, and bolts aren’t infinitely usable, though they are easier to make than arrows.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
They took the trapping course in September and just got there permit so they are trapping now but have not caught an yet I’m sure there is a learning curve .
We tried shooting them but they don’t really come out when it’s lite Enough for a shot.
I didn’t have a learning curve. Find the beaver slide (due to their tail their slides don’t look-like normal animal paths.) Put conibear trap in dead center of slide touching the ground with stakes through springs. Lightly secure trap to prevent coyotes from dragging dead beaver and trap away. Inspect daily if you want dead beavers, inspect weekly if you want beavers dead, pull traps or secure with chain prior to a flood.

making a hole in a beaver dam will bring the out at night., or tear the dam out and put out traps in the lodge slide.

game warden cares less if I don’t make any effort to sell skins. Conibear traps aren’t great for keeping skins or meat without daily checks.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
And every alternative is a compromise.
Crossbows are like heavy single shot guns with limited range. Easy to learn to shoot, slow to reload, and bolts aren’t infinitely usable, though they are easier to make than arrows.
True. The way I see it though, for every circumstance where I use an alternative I have saved one bullet to use in a different manner. If I use it in situations where follow up shots are not needed instantly I don't see it as a huge compromise.

Bows and crossbows got the job done for centuries before gunpowder, I am sure modern versions are adept enough at what they do to be useful.

As well, I plan to buy lots of arrows and bolts if I get that property I'm looking at. Unlike a bullet, you get at least one shot. Bullets are always just one. If an arrow allows me two shots, I saved two bullets...reuse it more times and more bullets saved.

And yeah, I plan to learn to make arrows and such, and collect the items to help me do so, should I end up on that land.

Reactions: ajole

·
Moderator, floor sweeper, guardian of dust bunnies
3,246 Posts

I second that!

This is in my armory for small critters: super heavy-duty, long-lasting metal rat traps by "Made 2 Catch" (Amazon.com) Over time the wooden traps warp, crack, and weaken.

Not these! They are so powerful that they make me almost as nervous as setting a conibear trap does.

This is not your grandpa's Victor trap, no! One Amazon reviewer posted one of his kills with this trap: a completely decapitated rat. No squirrel will be escaping this trap:

Rectangle Automotive lighting Font Metal Fashion accessory

41 - 60 of 86 Posts