Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

Registered
We hunt beaver and muskrat. Gotta make headshots in dim light, but they are there and good eating.
Need a license for that? How much is a non-resident Colorado beaver license, would you guess? 馃槕There used to be a string of beaver ponds near my cabin, but DNR or Game and Fish or whoever tore down all the dams. So now there鈥檚 a string of bogs.

Shill for the Federal Gov
If you're having to trap food to stay alive, either you're doing it wrong or something real bad happened to you and your ability to feed yourself from preparations done beforehand. There won't be anything walking-crawling-flying-swiming-slithering-ect 30 days into what I think you're talking about.

Registered
This week I used two 22 short bullets out of the 1200 in stock .I have one rabbit and one squirrel in the fridge for thanksgiving. I also use homemade rabbit gums that last for yeas if you take them up in warm weather so termites don't eat them I use alfalfa cubes as bait so I don't catch trash animals. meat is abundant , ammo is hard to get in my area. I saw nine turkeys down at the river but I had the wrong gun..

Registered
Need a license for that? How much is a non-resident Colorado beaver license, would you guess? 馃槕There used to be a string of beaver ponds near my cabin, but DNR or Game and Fish or whoever tore down all the dams. So now there鈥檚 a string of bogs.
I love hunting beaver ,but a 63 year old man won't catch as many as he'd like.

Happy to be here!
Listen, if you have three bricks of 22 long rifle ( 1500 rounds), which isn't that much, you have enough ammo to probably wipe out the squirrel and rabbit population in your county. Let's say you're taking two deer a year to fill your freezer. Shouldn't take more than five bullets. Most gun fights go a total of less than 10 rounds between all parties involved. I'm not sure how many gun fights you think you can survive, but Vegas odds say I have more ammo than I'll use in my lifetime.

Registered
Listen, if you have three bricks of 22 long rifle ( 1500 rounds), which isn't that much, you have enough ammo to probably wipe out the squirrel and rabbit population in your county. Let's say you're taking two deer a year to fill your freezer. Shouldn't take more than five bullets. Most gun fights go a total of less than 10 rounds between all parties involved. I'm not sure how many gun fights you think you can survive, but Vegas odds say I have more ammo than I'll use in my lifetime.
Since the foxes and coyotes disappeared here, I doubt a case of 22 would make a dent in the squirrel and especially rabbit populations. We call it the "plague of rabbits."

Registered
If you're having to trap food to stay alive, either you're doing it wrong or something real bad happened to you and your ability to feed yourself from preparations done beforehand. There won't be anything walking-crawling-flying-swiming-slithering-ect 30 days into what I think you're talking about.
I hunt ,trap , fish , forage , garden , ferment , brew ,can ,dry and preserve foods . I've been doing this for 43 years and don't think todays folks are going to just one day be survivalist .If uncle Sniff -a - kid won't feed them They will beg , steal and sell that booty to get what they need .

Registered
There are other options besides hunting things, especially if you live in the right AO and have honed your skill sets. Foraging, fishing, and farming will put a lot of food in the pan in the right area.
For sure. We forage just for the fun and variety of it and don't even come close to scratching the surface of what we could be regularly be gathering at certain times of the year.

Registered
The beavers can build a dam fast , we dug one out in the spring at my buddy place and he is going to do it again this weekend .
the water comes up and floods him out .
He just started trapping them , his neighbor call the state police if he shoots them .
It looks like there could be some bever stew in my Future

Registered
The beavers can build a dam fast , we dug one out in the spring at my buddy place and he is going to do it again this weekend .
He just started trapping them , his neighbor call the state police if he shoots them .
We hunt them for fun on public land. If I had an actual problem with them on my property I would be trapping (as well as shooting them if it were legal).

Registered
I don鈥檛 think we can shoot with in 500鈥 of a dwelling with out written permission he is 1000 feet from the neighbor but the pond is not .
He is 600 feet from the house if he stays on his side of the pond but then he is shooting in the direction of the neighbors house and barn Then there is the horses 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 Just to many rules .

Registered
We had a big flash flood here once, 鈥88 or 鈥89. Killed 11 or 12 people. Killed a sheriff trying to reach a family trapped in their car. Very heavy rain and hail all day. They said a beaver dam let go about 20 miles away. Then that broke then next dam, then the next, one pond after another until all that water got to town. They finally let some beavers come back, but not near as many as before that.

Registered
I don鈥檛 think we can shoot with in 500鈥 of a dwelling with out written permission he is 1000 feet from the neighbor but the pond is not .
He is 600 feet from the house if he stays on his side of the pond but then he is shooting in the direction of the neighbors house and barn Then there is the horses 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 Just to many rules .
I'd be trapping in that situation.

Registered
You can get 100 foot spools of .020, .032 , and .050 stainless aircraft safety wire and make your own snares.
I have a big black walnut tree in my back yard and when the walnuts are dropping there can be a dozen squirrels running around the tree. I would screw a 1"x2" to the trunk not close to any limbs. I would put small pocket knife cuts in the board, to hold nooses made out if .020 copper wire and a half ear of corn on a nail at the far end. The squirrels would run the gauntlet for the corn. It wouldn't be uncommon to have 1 or 2 hanging every time I checked the pole. Then the neighbors complained that I had poor Rockey the Squirrel noosed and hanging off my squirrels pole.

Registered
You can get 100 foot spools of .020, .032 , and .050 stainless aircraft safety wire and make your own snares.
I have a big black walnut tree in my back yard and when the walnuts are dropping there can be a dozen squirrels running around the tree. I would screw a 1"x2" to the trunk not close to any limbs. I would put small pocket knife cuts in the board, to hold nooses made out if .020 copper wire and a half ear of corn on a nail at the far end. The squirrels would run the gauntlet for the corn. It wouldn't be uncommon to have 1 or 2 hanging every time I checked the pole. Then the neighbors complained that I had poor Rockey the Squirrel noosed and hanging off my squirrels pole.
This would easily work in my yard. OTOH, all it would provide is an endless stream of messy dog toys.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts