Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we are talking about survival for more than a week or two? Will you are going to have problems if your only option is food with ammo. How much ammo are you carrying?
Should we go with snares? Snares are like bullets, you get one shot with them. If you have 5 snares in your pack, then you have five meals. You won't be able to reuse any snares after a catch. They are a once and done item.
So what about traps?
Body Grip is one of the most popular and effective options. It will quickly crush the pest to death. It can be set in many different ways and baited to lure the rabbit. These types of traps are very effective. However, these may not be legal in your area.
One can use a live trap. Most places allow these traps. And you can practice with them now. However most people do not carry one of these around with them.
Finally there is the figure four deadfall trap. If you are in a wooded area you likely have the material to build one of these.

The point of this is you need a means of obtaining game without wasting all your ammo. So think of the game and fowl you will want to catch and how you can do it on a ongoing basis!

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,109 Posts
The last time I bought bullets I paid $43 for a 20-count box of 350 grain .51 bullets, that weighed one pound.

Then I got a mold and I pay $2 a pound for soft lead, I have begun casting my own bullets. Though my mold produces 500 grain .51 bullets. So I think it comes out to 12 bullets per pound of lead.

There may be a bullet shortage, but there is no soft lead shortage.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Are we are talking about survival for more than a week or two? Will you are going to have problems if your only option is food with ammo. How much ammo are you carrying?
Should we go with snares? Snares are like bullets, you get one shot with them. If you have 5 snares in your pack, then you have five meals. You won't be able to reuse any snares after a catch. They are a once and done item.
So what about traps?
Body Grip is one of the most popular and effective options. It will quickly crush the pest to death. It can be set in many different ways and baited to lure the rabbit. These types of traps are very effective. However, these may not be legal in your area.
One can use a live trap. Most places allow these traps. And you can practice with them now. However most people do not carry one of these around with them.
Finally there is the figure four deadfall trap. If you are in a wooded area you likely have the material to build one of these.

The point of this is you need a means of obtaining game without wasting all your ammo. So think of the game and fowl you will want to catch and how you can do it on a ongoing basis!
I don’t think snares are one and done, are they? They’re made of steel aircraft cable or wire. Well, some are, you can buy them.

I’ve reused those big Victor rat traps on animals for pestering me. Those damn bushy tailed wood rats that kept getting in my cabin. Scratching around in the middle the night, trying to get in the dog food. I should’ve eaten one, just for spite.

Somebody on here said he used those traps for squirrels.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t think snares are one and done, are they? They’re made of steel aircraft cable or wire. Well, some are, you can buy them.

I’ve reused those big Victor rat traps on animals for pestering me. Those damn bushy tailed wood rats that kept getting in my cabin. Scratching around in the middle the night, trying to get in the dog food. I should’ve eaten one, just for spite.

Rat traps are great for tree rats!!!
Pressure cooker squirrel is simple to make at home, in an old-school stovetop pressure cooker or in a countertop electric pressure cooker (instant pot).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It is the wire itself that gets messed up. You can recycle the other parts if you make your own. It is not hard to make your own snares and parts are easily available. You can also use a better grade of wire when you make your own.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So what about traps?

Long term storage of ammo is as follows:

1,000 rounds fmj for any carbine
100 rounds soft point for any large rifle
20 rounds fmj for any large rifle (you need a reloading bench-owning friend for this)
100 rounds, assorted, for any shotgun
100 rounds for any pistol

Carrying loadout is much lower and is based on your gear and your own strength. I can't discuss further due to where I live.

Snares are super but it's not so simple. It's like fishing with a rod and line. Some days are good, some days are junk. You can trap around here with a trapper's licence. It's 20 bucks or something. Learning it is another matter. It's not easy.

These topics you are discussing require much physical practice. Go try it, I say. It is fun. Be careful with your traps. If you hurt a human with a trap you are in a ton of trouble. Cops will be waiting for you when you return to check your trap and they will be sour with you.

You should look up trap weirs and netting. It's quite productive, though illegal. I'm allowed to do it (Native status) on certain land but I am guessing you are not. Excellent knowledge for EROL and TEOTWAWKI though.

Before I go, you can also snare large animals. Also highly illegal, but if you're hungry, use that cable to snare that moose. Kill it with a spear, eat, and be grateful.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It is the wire itself that gets messed up. You can recycle the other parts if you make your own. It is not hard to make your own snares and parts are easily available. You can also use a better grade of wire when you make your own.

at times the wire can get messed up, but the wire /cable to make them was cheap and easily available,, almost any hardware box store had it by coils everything from rabbits up to deer sized game wire size suitable for say rabbit would be a 22 gauge and comes in 100 foot roll,, even at two foot a snare that is 50 snares might weight a few ounces,,for the weight of a simple body gripping trap i could have a couple hundred snares

·
Storyteller
3,770 Posts
Bicycle brake cable. Save all the stuff I replace on Das Bike.

Fed myself at Arctic survival school using snares. Checked at least once a day. Snare wire at the time was USAF issue safety wire.

The local rabbit population was routinely checked for disease by the survival school staff.

Truthfully, I rather have a Salisbury steak than rabbit......

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Gets kinked, you mean? Didn’t think of that.
it can yes ,,most people think setting a wire snare is just setting a wire lope over a trail ,,,and waiting for a animal [targeted] to walk into it

if they dont hit the end hard they tend to twist and tangle the wire ,,if you can put pressure on them ie a spring poll or kill stick most times you can reuse snares

here in the boreal forest the rabbits are actually a hare and once snow falls they start making trails that they run on steadily as they move around ,, find a spot where they hop a foot or so ,hang a snare above it and by the time they land on next track its tightening up ,doing this i have used the same wire snare most of the winter, ,and caught dozens of hares

i have found the two animals that destroy snares are racoon and coyotes,,,i imagine a hog would as well

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
at times the wire can get messed up, but the wire /cable to make them was cheap and easily available,, almost any hardware box store had it by coils everything from rabbits up to deer sized game wire size suitable for say rabbit would be a 22 gauge and comes in 100 foot roll,, even at two foot a snare that is 50 snares might weight a few ounces,,for the weight of a simple body gripping trap i could have a couple hundred snares
Grandpa used snares for rabbits because of what you said. He kept a drawer full of snare parts and several rolls of wire based on size needed for what game. Close to the house weight is not a issue. But theft was an issue for expensive traps would walk if placed near any foot traffic. Loosing a snare was not a big deal cost wise. So this might be a case for CHEAP in populated areas.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Bicycle brake cable. Save all the stuff I replace on Das Bike.

Fed myself at Arctic survival school using snares. Checked at least once a day. Snare wire at the time was USAF issue safety wire.

The local rabbit population was routinely checked for disease by the survival school staff.

Truthfully, I rather have a Salisbury steak than rabbit......

i prefer beaver to rabbits as well makes some good eating if its a younger one ,,bonus is the fat they have as well so no protean starvation

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i prefer beaver to rabbits as well makes some good eating if its a younger one ,,bonus is the fat they have as well so no protean starvation
I can remember going to a friends house when I was young and a beaver was roasting in the fireplace. Those days are long gone and now things like that are just memories.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Grandpa used snares for rabbits because of what you said. He kept a drawer full of snare parts and several rolls of wire based on size needed for what game. Close to the house weight is not a issue. But theft was an issue for expensive traps would walk if placed near any foot traffic. Loosing a snare was not a big deal cost wise. So this might be a case for CHEAP in populated areas.
not only cheap ,but effective and light weight

and if you are close to house how are you running out of ammo so fast?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not only cheap ,but effective and light weight

and if you are close to house how are you running out of ammo so fast?
I do not reload 22 ammo which is what I use for most small game.
Grandma use to buy me bricks of 22 shells.
Grandpa use to tress making every shot count because we could not reload these!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I do not reload 22 ammo which is what I use for most small game.
Grandma use to buy me bricks of 22 shells.
Grandpa use to tress making every shot count because we could not reload these!
A 38 special is easy to reload and if you use and cast or FMJ bullet just makes a 36 caliber hole through a squirrel or rabbit. Very effective, cheap if you reload.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts