Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
YOu make a very valid point. It is like trying to hunt for food in the middle of a major metro. Many people here are working from the standpoint of getting the home ready for whatever may come. Even with a bug out plan and kit you will find most people here are not trappers. I grew up with guns and fishing and hunting. From that background I will say this, I would not want to have to survive on my hunting and fishing skills.

Reality is most people can't afford a BUG OUT LOCATION.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Grinnan Barrett : I agree. I live outside of a small town in Alaska. If the SHTF, the moose population will drop rapidly as will the bear. And this is in an area where many people hunt or will hunt.
If in a city wild dogs would be a good source of protein........Alaskan.....

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
I'm raising this question because of the rule here that says a BOB has nothing to do with the wilderness. Ok, so how many of you have fishing gear in your BOB, and where do you think you're going to use it?
Why would a BOB not have anything to do with wilderness??? Is there another memo I didn't get? In fact, I probably have more for the wilderness,than I would for a home or here to there bag.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
fishing line is very effective in a multitude of ways. Ie, sutures, snare, repairs, traps...not just fishing. I live in a fairly small town and its surrounded by country so this justifies it for me but in a rual stand point, a hook and line have its place imo.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i see a very good reason for having fishing gear in the bob where am i gonna catch fish in the city thats easy i know right where the Henry Doorly Zoo is and i know where the aquarium in said zoo is and thats where i would be fishing if i were stuck i n the city hell i wouldn't mind setting up in the zoo as a bol hmmm i gotta think on this some more

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would a BOB not have anything to do with wilderness??? Is there another memo I didn't get? In fact, I probably have more for the wilderness,than I would for a home or here to there bag.
I'm with you, dude. But ask the man who owns and operates this website. He's now threatening to give out infractions for talking about BOB's in the wilderness forum.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=26025

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
if i BO i certainly will avoid the city because of that, i dont live in the city anyway but most us have our BOB's packed for any even that could happen, what if they came accross a waterway goin through the city or a lake on the outskirts or a pond in the park, then there you go problem solved but i have 72 hrs of food to just in case i dont have that chance to fish, but if i do i will because why waste the food when i got fish to fish i will save it for when i need it

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the city around where I was raised there was a huge flower garden named Glen Carin Gardens.In the middle was a large goldfish pond.The goldfish were 6-10 inches long.They were fairly tame and would be a easy catch with a net.
I assume many cities have such.
I now live in a very rural area with lots of ponds and a river 200 feet from my back door.I catch 8-9 lb flathead and others often out of the river.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
I live in Corpus Christi, Tx. I am surrounded by fish. I need to learn to fish though it's too easy here to go to the docks and buy fish from the Greek fisher dudes. I need to learn what lures to use in salt water....everytime I go fishing I just wind up feeding the fish, so I usually say that I'm gonna go feed the fish as opposed to fishing. LOL. I'm pathetic when it comes to fishing.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gonna eat as much fish as I can. We've got a decent fishery here if you're just trying to sustain. And if I want some red meat there's always Sea Lions..........delicious California Sea Lions.......mmmmmmmm! Hey hundreds of Eskimos can't all be wrong huh?

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
I'm with you, dude. But ask the man who owns and operates this website. He's now threatening to give out infractions for talking about BOB's in the wilderness forum.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=26025

well .

interesting. :taped:

BOB's are nothing more than the same stuff you would use when backpacking.
whether or not you use it that way is up to you. not my call, i know where i use my bob and the trails arent made of concrete and i cant stop at 7-11 to get a fresh aquafina......:thumb:

so what entails wilderness survival?
rubbing sticks to make fire
eating grubs?
sleeping in the dirt under a debris hut?
what about mini kits, GHB's, day packs and assorted emergency kits that most would carry into the woods WHERE they very well may thrown into an actaul survival event!
I dont know about you, but i don't just walk 20 miles into a natl forest and say " Hmm i may try to survive, right here" oh look a grub i can eat that(crunch)
I do however pack a BOB or pack that far and if i fall and break my leg(get lost,lose my pack in a grizzly attack, kidnapped by aliens) , i do hope i remember i packed my kit with me!;)

not my home, go with the flow.

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
I think Kev's point is not having every forum become a BOB discussion forum.

As far as catching fish in the city... I grew up in Richmond, Virginia with the James River running right through the middle of it. Think 50 pound catfish, rockfish, bluegill, bass etc. etc. etc. The most recent city I lived in was Pittsburgh aka Three Rivers, where the Alleghenny and Monongahela run together to form the Ohio, right in the middle of the city. I'm no fisherman, but I'm guessing there are plenty of fish in there. :rolleyes:

·
V
21,713 Posts
Here in the UK Just about EVERY major city and many of the larger towns have rivers or canals in and around them, all contain fish of some sort to the best of my knowledge. I was watching the "accidental angler" fishing a stream in the middle of a city for trout the other day.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A better question would be: 'Where are you going to catch edible fish in the city?'

Most major rivers/lakes have pretty high pollution levels... many high enough to cause you harm over even a couple months of eating fish out of them. I know around the burgh most rivers and public lakes have a suggested limit of fish that you should consume per month/year for health reasons, due to all the toxins present in them that could build up if you consume a lot. Especially bottom-feeders.

To be prepared you should check your local fishing club/your state's fishing/boating commission website and make sure your intended source of fish won't kill you. Just a thought :thumb:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I always keep fishing gear in my vehicles. Not for bugging out though---just because I love fishing--especially in small impoundments, fountains, creeks, bridge run-offs and other unlikely places. If I am out and about (especially in the spring and early summer) and have a few minutes to spare, I will frequently stop and pre-fish a spot to see what happens. I am not often let down.

There is a fountainized pond not far from where I live that is surrounded by apartments and trendy up-scale shopping. Whenever I fish there, I will nearlly limit out with bass. People look at me like I am nuts and say thinks like "Why are you trying to catch those goldfish (Koi)." More often than not, I don't have to say anything because a bass will hit.

Let them scoff! That just leaves more fun for me!

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
A better question would be: 'Where are you going to catch edible fish in the city?'

Most major rivers/lakes have pretty high pollution levels... many high enough to cause you harm over even a couple months of eating fish out of them. I know around the burgh most rivers and public lakes have a suggested limit of fish that you should consume per month/year for health reasons, due to all the toxins present in them that could build up if you consume a lot. Especially bottom-feeders.

To be prepared you should check your local fishing club/your state's fishing/boating commission website and make sure your intended source of fish won't kill you. Just a thought :thumb:
Good points AKammenzind, but it's not limited to the city. All those pollutants in the Mon didn't get there in Pittsburgh. They got there all along the river in rural West Virginia and Southern PA. The Allegheny by contrast is relatively clean, so head North when yinz bug out.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts