Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read how China, Russia and others have made the building of their shelters for their citizens PUBLIC.I would like to know why we aren't doing the same! Heck, we're not even discussing it!!!! :mad:

I'm pretty sure they have spots reserved for those who are "important" enough or have enough $$$$$, but nothing for us plebes? DO they think they will have enough once the country has been decimated? (and I don't mean Agenda 21).

I know others will have lots of examples of building foreign and domestic shelters and would like to see them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
shelters

Popp,,,,,,There are several countries that have underground shelters for their people. The USA has built many shelters as well and they are frantically stocking them with supplies as we speak. Unfortunatley, these shelters are only for our top politicians. Everyday folks like you and I are not part of the plan.
Consequently we will be left to take care of ourselves. You need to look at what our government has built to get an idea of what we should have. They call them DUMBS..Deep Underground Military Bases. A proper shelter should have at least 4 feet of earth to survive most events. A better shelter would have at least 8 feet of earth on top of it and it needs to be located in an area that is not effected by some of the predicted earth changes that we might see.
I have spent nearly two years designing my shelter and frankly if I did not have the means, I would try to find an alternative. Most folks don't have the means (financially) and if you don't have the means, there are alternatives.
If I didn't have a shelter that would survive potential earth changes or threats, I would locate a place that would protect me. This place would be within 30 minutes of my home (if it were possible).
As crazy as it sounds sewer tunnels provide shelter against some threats. Old closed mines provide shelter, even rock caves will work. If folks don't have a shelter or can't afford one, there are alternatives, but you will need to be creative. And you will need to identify the potential threats and plan your strategy accordingly.
I have been researching earth changes for years and I honestly believe that folks will need to be underground for a short period of time in order to survive. Our government believes the same thats why they are preparing along with many other countries.

Liberty

·
Registered
498 Posts
We used to have shelters. You can still see remnants of them or at least signs for them in almost every street in larger cities.

But, they fell by the way side and into disrepair over the years because either the powers that be have decided taking shelter would be useless OR because FEMA under Reagan's control decided that evacuation of possible strike zone for attack was a much better idea. (Not that evacuation would work either but people seem happier running than hiding underground).

You should pick up a book called "The Day After World War III" by Edward Zuckerman. It's a little old (written in the late 1970's and updated in the 1980's) but it discusses how the feds and FEMA specifically dismantled our Civil Defense system and in some cases started other under ground protection facilities in its wake. These process' which eventually led from preparing for nuclear war to adaptation for natural disasters as well.

You know a shelter system wouldn't work here though. People would be too afraid to go to them because of fear of a) government plots or b) the people inside OR everyone would raise holy hell because of the tax increases that would be needed to pay for them and the whole program would be scrapped after a few years.

·
One day at a time........
299 Posts
I think that by admitting shelters are being built for the average joe, the govt thinks they will be inciting panic or something.

The ones that are already built are obviously for the elite

·
Registered
70 Posts
Think about this.......If our government told us that something was comming,,If they told us to prepare,,,there would be mass panic...seriously,,,
For example,,,look at Japan..when the earthquake hit fukashima,,after thousands of deaths, people from japan waited very patiently in line for food and each could only buy like 7 items per day to ensure everyone had what they needed.
Now look at the usa....We open up a wall mart on back friday and the customers run in and trample a guard to death...we open stores all over the usa for new air jordon shoes and folks nearly riot to get their 180 dollar shoes??
Can you imagine if our government announced that we should prepare as a nation for something that was pending that could potentially kill millions??? There would be so much unrest, it would change the face of america. It would look like a war zone.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Think about this.......If our government told us that something was comming,,If they told us to prepare,,,there would be mass panic...seriously,,,
For example,,,look at Japan..when the earthquake hit fukashima,,after thousands of deaths, people from japan waited very patiently in line for food and each could only buy like 7 items per day to ensure everyone had what they needed.
Now look at the usa....We open up a wall mart on back friday and the customers run in and trample a guard to death...we open stores all over the usa for new air jordon shoes and folks nearly riot to get their 180 dollar shoes??
Can you imagine if our government announced that we should prepare as a nation for something that was pending that could potentially kill millions??? There would be so much unrest, it would change the face of america. It would look like a war zone.
Isn't that sad because you're spot on BUT, it wasn't always that way.

Look at the US 1950-1980 and we had a mentality that led to survival. The government actively warned us against the Communist "menace". We had drills in the schools. Movies were made to show you how to protect yourself. Books were put out. People even built shelters in their homes and BRAGGED about them.

The US has fallen so far...degraded so much socially that you're right, we couldn't dare utter about an outside threat or let the government warn us to any threat. People (not all of us but many) would burn the place to the ground with riots and other anti-social activity. People no longer have social decorum either...shelters would turn into cesspools overnight.

So maybe, IF the government is building shelters the expected numbers for using them are drastically low because they don't expect most of us to survive the chaos and destruction we would inflict on ourselves before hand.

·
Watchman
982 Posts
I don't think it's because we aren't important enough to where they don't care about us. I think they do "care" and actually want us to die off. David Rockefeller and people like him have been pushing depopulation for years.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't disagree w/ any of you. It's kinda how for decades I've heard that "the gov. won't admit aliens have visited, for fear of the citizens freaking out." (please nothing about aliens-just an example ;)).

Are we too late in the ball game for the populace to keep our heads and remain calm?

It's ironic that Posts and thread about the old Civil Defense have cropped up lately. We used to be told to prepare, how it was good for the country, but nw if you say you might have re-engineered you old bomb shelter, you have someone look at you like you have two heads.

I'm curious about the dismantling of the CD and the ending of trying to get people to prepare. Even FEMA wants you to have 3 days. Ha , growing up w/ the threat of the aftereffects of a hurricane , mom and neighbors had at least a weeks worth of food/water/light/gas.

Why stop bolstering defenses you have built for several decades. I wonder if they *might* really hope something happens and the "herd" gets REALLY thinned out. The tinfoil Krewe seems to have good points to make sometimes, don't they? :eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Isn't that sad because you're spot on BUT, it wasn't always that way.

Look at the US 1950-1980 and we had a mentality that led to survival. The government actively warned us against the Communist "menace". We had drills in the schools. Movies were made to show you how to protect yourself. Books were put out. People even built shelters in their homes and BRAGGED about them.

The US has fallen so far...degraded so much socially that you're right, we couldn't dare utter about an outside threat or let the government warn us to any threat. People (not all of us but many) would burn the place to the ground with riots and other anti-social activity. People no longer have social decorum either...shelters would turn into cesspools overnight.

So maybe, IF the government is building shelters the expected numbers for using them are drastically low because they don't expect most of us to survive the chaos and destruction we would inflict on ourselves before hand.
The contrast is scary....Well before the bay of pigs,,JFK was telling the entire nation to prepare for nuclear war...He was warning us. And you are right, we were taught in schools to get under our desks and away from glass. They made us watch movies in school to educate us. There was a real sense of awareness.
God forbid today if our government should warn us about any pending event. There are so many dynamics at play today, most folks don't have a clue. I believe we are more at risk today because of these dynamics, even more at risk than JFK's era. Yet, the whitehouse tells us that everything is rosy. Thank God for internet. It's a great way to learn and teach others. Between google, Youtube and forums, I've learned a ton.

liberty

·
Old guy who plans ahead
1,918 Posts
...We open up a wall mart on back friday and the customers run in and trample a guard to death...we open stores all over the usa for new air jordon shoes and folks nearly riot to get their 180 dollar shoes??

ONLY if the government built shelters had Air Jordan logos on them, otherwise the only folks wanting to use he shelters would be the "Occupy" Crowd (and they would just poop in the floor and whine about the corporate contractor that built the shelter).

·
Registered
21,890 Posts
Could you imagine what it would be like in a government shelter in most cities? Thousands of thugs and "entitlement recipients" packed together.
It would be a dangerous place for sure.....not a place I'd want to be. Better off taking my chances, even if I hadn't prepared all that much, imo.

Reactions: MtnBikeMike

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
looking back on how FEMA handles emergencies, who in thier right mind would want them building shelters to begin with?

I can see the FEMA shelter now: The local YMCA would be turned into a fall out shelter and people would be told to huddle in the swimming pool. The water will protect you. LOL

we do have "shelters" already avail. Our local schools double as shelters for emergencies. My home town had used them back in the 90's during some ice storms.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
The public fate was sealed back during the Eisenhower administration when they started building shelters to insure "Continuity of Government".
When they got started building the "public" shelters afterwards, they realized what are great expense it would be to finish and called a halt to the project. They justified this decision with the notion that it would scare the population too much.
The old public shelters are in private hands now.
I remodeled one in the basement of a building near here, severals years ago and got the tin "Fallout Shelter" signs. It's pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts