Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts

·
Indefatigable
21,098 Posts
I don't know meterology from jack s***, so I don't go by charts and graphs. In Oklahoma you learn the only reliable weather forcast is to go outside. I know the heat is BAD, no I can't scientifically prove it. When the weather gets hot here people sell or slaughter cattle so they don't have to feed and water them. My brother is a rancher and he had to cut more cattle this year than ever before. My father is a butcher, everyone is slaughtering because they can't sell. They aren't planning to pick the herd back up in the fall again because the feed is burning up in the fields. No feed for winter. Soon the stock ponds will start to dry out and those that can afford are going to have to truck in water.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't know meterology from jack s***, so I don't go by charts and graphs. In Oklahoma you learn the only reliable weather forcast is to go outside. I know the heat is BAD, no I can't scientifically prove it. When the weather gets hot here people sell or slaughter cattle so they don't have to feed and water them. My brother is a rancher and he had to cut more cattle this year than ever before. My father is a butcher, everyone is slaughtering because they can't sell. They aren't planning to pick the herd back up in the fall again because the feed is burning up in the fields. No feed for winter. Soon the stock ponds will start to dry out and those that can afford are going to have to truck in water.
If you are a farmer or rancher in Oklahoma or Texas you don't need a chart to know things are rough....real rough. Tell your brother we are thinking about him and wishing him all the best. If things are bad for our ranchers and farmers then it is bad for the rest of us too. Those are the guys that feed the majority of the world. Thank God for them.

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
I'm currently working out of WV. Though I'm no native of this state, something tells me 112 degrees isn't their normal summer weather! That's not normal even for my home state of FL...
Sadly, they are using a heat index and not mean temperature. To me, it sounds like more hype. Give me the real temp and not some perceived temperature.

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sadly, they are using a heat index and not mean temperature. To me, it sounds like more hype. Give me the real temp and not some perceived temperature.
Yeah i think "record temperatures" is being used as a marketing ploy to get people to watch their news program.

Just like "Breaking News" has been overused.....seems like everything is breaking news, now....

:headshake:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yesterday Newark New Jersey was 108. That was a record. In the direct sun in my backyard, we measured it to be 116. That was at 3:30pm, it might have been higher earlier, but I was at work. That's pretty damn hot for NJ! People around here were baking brownies, cookies and eggs on their dashboards just to see if it would work. It worked. Inside car temps were 168.

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday Newark New Jersey was 108. That was a record. In the direct sun in my backyard, we measured it to be 116. That was at 3:30pm, it might have been higher earlier, but I was at work. That's pretty damn hot for NJ! People around here were baking brownies, cookies and eggs on their dashboards just to see if it would work. It worked. Inside car temps were 168.
It was 104 here (townsend, delaware) with 76% humidity, heat index 130 :xeye:

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Ohh and Im sure the oil spill last year has nothing to do with the record temps? With all that oil in the system it has to make changes in something.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
As bad as things are, these are not record breaking temperatures (at least for the most part). All of the highest temperatures were recorded decades before the oil spill last year--so that doesn't pan out. We are in the midst of a heat wave, nothing more, nothing less. It happens in the summertime. Lets not act as if the world has come to end, thats next year.

With that said, it is devastating to the farmers and ranchers. But that is a risk that is a part of that industry. If you are a farmer or rancher you need to prepare for bad years. I do feel for the cattle farmers, they are taking a big hit, beyond just heat related.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Here where I live in northern Arizona, it hasn't been over 97 degrees yet. And since June 1st, we've only had one week where it was in the 90s everyday. Cooler than normal here.
I reckon that this all depends upon where you live.

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
Not percieved. Actual thermometer reading on work site as monitored by Osha. You were Saying?:thumb:
Not to be snarky but that's a work site. I can go out to my greenhouse and close it up and get that temperature pretty darn warm. Heck, I even have a solar oven that heats up nicely even on a cold day.

having lived on the East Coast most of my life, I remember many, many days where the temperature would get up near 100.

I agree with all the others already who have said... as of yet, this is not out of the ordinary. These things tend to come in cycles and I suspect we are getting ready to break the records from the last cycle of temperatures.

The problem with assigning more weight to normal variations is that it desensitizes people to when things really are bad. We get so use to the hype of how bad things are that even when they are truly bad... we don't react correctly. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts